Best fish and chips on New England cruise?

freedom50

Our family will be on the Maasdam/New England cruise the end of May. My husband just loves his fish and chips. Where are the best places to have this meal in Bar Harbour and Halifax at a reasonable price? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I almost forgot - the last couple of summers a place called The Battered Fish has set up a mobile location along the waterfront (again, near the ferry terminal). In my opinion their fish & chips is a bit better than Stayners.

Thanks for all your great input. Its my husband who loves the fish and chips. I am in heaven when I even see shrimp ,lobster, mussels etc. etc. etc I certainly will be enjoying this selection of seafood at these eateries.:D:D:D

Just make sure it's haddock or cod. Make sure they use fresh fish. Once you have those two covered, you should be in good shape. I'd give the edge to haddock in that part of the world. That's just one man's opinion, but I do loves me some fish & chips.

If you happen across a place that does chicken fried lobster, order it. You'll thank me later. If that place happens to be Cafe Zelda in Newport, Rhode Island, you should get the seaweed salad, too. (If you're not familiar with seaweed salad, give it a try next time you see it.)

Just make sure it's haddock or cod. Make sure they use fresh fish. Once you have those two covered, you should be in good shape. I'd give the edge to haddock in that part of the world. That's just one man's opinion, but I do loves me some fish & chips.

If you happen across a place that does chicken fried lobster, order it. You'll thank me later. If that place happens to be Cafe Zelda in Newport, Rhode Island, you should get the seaweed salad, too. (If you're not familiar with seaweed salad, give it a try next time you see it.)

Thanks!

A good port... St John's, Newfoundland. A most enjoyable cruise port and found a 'cod restaurant'.... nothing but cod.... in a hundred ways to cook it! I thought I had died and arrived in heaven!

One item was 'cod tongues'. I had to ask.... well, it could have been some other part with a nickname. The waitress just gave me a pained look and said, "Um, it is errr.... T O N G U E!"

Anyhow tried them.... fantastic... a million time better than calamari. The tongue is deep fried. Good!

Everything on the menu looked perfect. A cod pie was rather excellent for my choice.

But for cod and chips has to be England.... of course. Beer batter cod, chunk chips ( that means French fries) with salt and vinegar on the cod and the chips. Some better than some others... but when the pub shuts at 10 o'clock.... got to have the cod... or perhaps a steak & kidney pie and chips.... or something with curry. :-)

Don't forget... nice touch on Princess ships.... an English Pub lunch. Good fun too!

One item was 'cod tongues'. I had to ask.... well, it could have been some other part with a nickname. The waitress just gave me a pained look and said, "Um, it is errr.... T O N G U E!"

Anyhow tried them.... fantastic... a million time better than calamari. The tongue is deep fried. Good!

For those of you who do not know, fried cod tongues are a traditional Newfoundland food, often served as an appetizer. Cod tongues are not actually tongues, but a small muscle from the neck of the fish, which is succulent and it has a different texture than the fillets. It also has a little cartilage like material through the middle, which melts tender while cooking if the tongues are not too large.

For those of you who do not know, fried cod tongues are a traditional Newfoundland food, often served as an appetizer. Cod tongues are not actually tongues, but a small muscle from the neck of the fish, which is succulent and it has a different texture than the fillets. It also has a little cartilage like material through the middle, which melts tender while cooking if the tongues are not too large.

Thank you! I try to learn something new every day, and today it's "cod tongues." I'm surprised that I never saw them in Maine, where smelts and coffee make a wicked good breakfast. :eek:

That makes 2 of us.

Had never heard of cod's tongues either.

Wondering if it is similar to the 2 little bits of meat on a chicken's back tucked into the bone.

I will look for that on my stop in Halifax.

Thanks so much for the tips.

Danny

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Script Ohio,

Yes, it was a good tasty morsel!

Since then I have found a supplier for fresh fish onto the Island. Supplier brings cod, salmon, haddock, etc etc.

This evening I had two fresh caught here in Bermuda.... tuna and some wahoo.... fresh two days ago.... just iced down... no fishing last two days ago... a bit of a blow.

Best fish I love now is Lion Fish. Fantastic but very hard to get.

Stephen

A good port... St John's, Newfoundland. A most enjoyable cruise port and found a 'cod restaurant'.... nothing but cod.... in a hundred ways to cook it! I thought I had died and arrived in heaven!

Everything on the menu looked perfect. A cod pie was rather excellent for my choice.

But for cod and chips has to be England.... of course. Beer batter cod, chunk chips ( that means French fries) with salt and vinegar on the cod and the chips. Some better than some others... but when the pub shuts at 10 o'clock.... got to have the cod... or perhaps a steak & kidney pie and chips.... or something with curry. :-)

Don't forget... nice touch on Princess ships.... an English Pub lunch. Good fun too!

Thanks, Topsham!!!

As a general rule, Canadian fish & chip places do not serve haddock - they serve halibut , cod and on the west coast salmon but never haddock.