Need Info on West Bay

overthehillcruiser

Somewhere I have this folding map at home. Unfortunately it's a bit dated. But maybe you can magnify it enough to see some things.

http://www.scuba007.com/roatan/rtn-web-images/roatan-map-by-area.jpg

I'll check around for something else. There's an interactive site that I know shows the beaches and hotels. I'll check for that link and shopping too.

These might help some more.

http://www.roatan.net/roatan-maps.html

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=102455707425809010301.0004362c88bd290f940a3&dg=feature

Edited by crewsweeper

We spent a week in West End a couple of years ago. If you walk out the road from Half moon Bay Resort it is maybe 1/4 mile to where the shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, etc start in West End Village. From there you can take a water taxi to West Bay, or a land taxi to anywhere else you might want to go. The whole West End area is very walkable and you can find most anything you need there.

Buenas dias James in SA..Thanks for the reply...I had e mailed Half Moon Bay restaurant and got an answer back this morning. He said about a 5 min walk, so this sounds perfect for us, as we have seen pretty much the rest of the island..

We spent a week in West End a couple of years ago. If you walk out the road from Half moon Bay Resort it is maybe 1/4 mile to where the shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, etc start in West End Village. From there you can take a water taxi to West Bay, or a land taxi to anywhere else you might want to go. The whole West End area is very walkable and you can find most anything you need there.

We just returned from our 4th trip to Roatan, went to Half Moon Bay Resort on our first visit which is on West End. Does anyone know if there are shops there now within walking distance of the resort ? Or anyone have a map of West End..Any help appreciated. Guest 2000, are you out there ?

Just curious..since you have been to Roatan a few times..which place do you like best & why?

Wow, there are quite a few places not listed on the map….wonder why ? Perhaps it is put out by those who pay a fee to get on it ??

Lighthouse Restaurant is missing, Evelyns (my favorite shop for local crafts) and West End Divers is missing too…..

Last time we were on Roatan for a week (Christmas 2013) , they were still working on the paving the road and putting in gutters etc….. I know they finished up about a month after we were there……. so if you are looking for that sand-road, sleepy village, it is disappearing quickly. I know there are some new places (restaurants and bars) that were getting ready to open within a few months of that time also…..so it is growing like crazy.

Good for Roatan, but I loved the sand-road sleepy village feeling :(

We just returned from our 4th trip to Roatan, went to Half Moon Bay Resort on our first visit which is on West End. Does anyone know if there are shops there now within walking distance of the resort ? Or anyone have a map of West End..Any help appreciated. Guest 2000, are you out there ?

Good Day to you,

Looks like you got your answer, many of the West End shops can be reached in 5 to 7 mins of walking. West End from Half Moon Bay Resort to the far other end may take 25-30 mins the distance.

Sorry for the delay, I was wandering Portugal for six weeks.

Thanks. I envy you...For my wife a 7 day cruise is too long away from home..

Good Day to you,

Looks like you got your answer, many of the West End shops can be reached in 5 to 7 mins of walking. West End from Half Moon Bay Resort to the far other end may take 25-30 mins the distance.

Sorry for the delay, I was wandering Portugal for six weeks.

Thanks. I envy you...For my wife a 7 day cruise is too long away from home..

I understand, I have clients who only have it in them to leave for seven days and only wish to be on a plane four hours or less. I understand and diversity makes the world go round. :0)

In turn they understand I have an almost pathological need to see what is around he next corner.. I just keep getting on planes to find out and my clients are kind enough to let me.

• 2 weeks later...
Kind of a toss up. For pure relaxation, Turquoise Bay, for prettiest beach, West Bay, for the real Roatan, east end..You kind of need to see it all..

Hi,

We returned at the end of February from 2 months on Roatan.

I totally agree that you need to see the entire island.

We stay about mid-island so we can go East or West.

We love both, for different reasons.

The East End is more natural, but this is changing as builders move east. : > (

La Serina is not to be missed at the far east end.

Mid island on the main road - be sure to check out

the Castaways Bar & restaurant.

The West end of the island is more vibrant and busy.

We prefer West End to West Bay.

The map leaves out nearly all of the great restaurants in West End.

We love Cafe Escondido - above West End Divers.

Tita's Pink Seahorse is worth finding.

Rotisserie Chicken and many others are not on the map.

There are fun things mid-island, near Coxen Hole, and just about everywhere.

Be sure to check out the Cameo Factory near the Coxen Hole cruise port if you have access to a car.

Judy