Late Afternoon Trip to Lahaina

igepal

We have the NCL Snorkeling Trip to Molikini Crater scheduled for our first day on Maui of POA. I expect we will return to the ship about 2PM and was wondering if it might be possible to get to Lahaina for a late afternoon Segway tour. Don't think renting a car would be possible since we wouldn't be returning until 8PM and dropping the rental car off and getting back to the ship might be difficult. Anyone know what time the Thrifty rental car agency closes in Kahului? Any other possibility routes?...

We have the NCL Snorkeling Trip to Molikini Crater scheduled for our first day on Maui of POA. I expect we will return to the ship about 2PM and was wondering if it might be possible to get to Lahaina for a late afternoon Segway tour. Don't think renting a car would be possible since we wouldn't be returning until 8PM and dropping the rental car off and getting back to the ship might be difficult. Anyone know what time the Thrifty rental car agency closes in Kahului? Any other possibility routes?...

Have you considered keeping the car overnight and using it the following day for more exploring? You can return it at the airport and they will shuttle you back to the ship.

The Thrifty website should list the office hours.

The car rental and drive is a piece of cake. Thrifty's and other's are open till 9-9:30

or as some-else mentioned keep the car over night. You may also want to consider the Old Lahaina Luau as it's only 5-10 min from d/t Lahaina. You would be out of there at 8 pm with plenty of time to get the car back if needed.

The drive to Lahaina is spectacular with lots of kodak moments as your driving along the coast is a very easy drive to do with not a lot of traffic.

Warning If you rent a car pay very close attention to the parking signs in d/t Lahaina as the meter maids are hiding all over the place and the parking signs can be misleading.

Edited by Ilovesailing

After your snorkel excursion, you'll get back to the ship right around 2:30. When you say "get to Lahaina" your only real option is a rental car. A taxi would be super-expensive.

Remember one thing, everything always takes longer than you think it's going to. If you do decide to rent a car, they will tell you when the last shuttle runs back to the ship. Take note!

ILoveSailing is right; the drive to Lahaina is easy and beautiful. I hope you can somehow swing it. :)

Here's the local phone number to Thrifty if you want to call them with questions: 808-877-7208

Agree with the others: Your only real option to get to Lahaina is a rental car. It's definitely worth it, and I think an evening there would be fantastic.

What time does your Road To Hana tour return to the ship the next day? Would you have time to return the rent car then, before the ship leaves that evening? Although I have to admit, it seems silly to keep (and pay for) a rent car if you're not using it.

BTW, the Road to Hana is not a difficult drive at all. It gets a lot of "scare press" but IMO it's actually much easier than the road around the north end of West Maui. Now *that's* a tiny, twisty road!

The only drawback to driving the RTH yourself is that who ever is driving doesn't get to spend much time admiring the scenery. But that's what the scenic stops are for.

I just posted a message on the Roll Call board. The Segway company offers transportation, $50. 1 way for 2 people. You can ride back to the ship with us if would you like to do so. Just let me know if this works out for you. Charlie

Edited by 1char

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I returned yesterday from POA cruise. We were in Maui last Sunday, did a morning tour , returned to the ship and went to Lahaina that afternoon. There is a shuttle bus that will take you to a nearby mall for free. There you can catch the public bus to Lahaina - $2.00 per person each way. Super easy and great place to shop !

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot figure this bus route out. how late is the bus going back to the pier?

8:30 p.m.

If you want to give the bus website another try ... It's route #20, Lahaina Islander - leaves Lahaina (Wharf Cinema Centre) every hour from 6:30 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. & takes 1 hour to get to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Shopping Centre in Kahului, which is a 1 mile walk (or shuttle ride) to the port.