Live From the Grand - Greek Isles

ourlol

Laura,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSTS!:)

If you have a chance, please ask a questioin at the shore excursion desk for us. We will be in Rhodes on Monday, 9/19. Since Monday is the day for all museums in Greece to close, someone on the 6/7 sailing asked about Lindos for us. Princess has made arrangements for it to open only for the shore excursions from the ship.

My question: Have they made similar arrangements for a shore excursion to the Palace of the Grand Masters on that Monday?

Julie

Laura, how sweet and unselfish of you to take your precious time on board and write your daily dairies for us future Med/Greek Isle cruisers!!

I am concerned about the PC dining..this will be the first time for our group of 4 to go in this direction. We are on the WL for traditional seating, but don't think our # will come up before Sept. 23rd...if you know what I mean...think we are #121 at last check.

Can't believe you have so many "younger cruisers" on this sailing. Guess there are lots of families wanting to expose this part of Europe to their offspring.

Take care and have a wonderful and memorable holiday while healing...our best to you.

Kay

Sorry, Susan, I meant to send that comment to droopysails, but thanks for your reply!

Hi, Patrick--We're looking at the Oct. 17, '06 departure. Such a long way off...but there are four of us and various job and other responsibilities to balance...it never seems too early to start thinking about it.

I've looked at every single line and itinerary in the Eastern Med, and Princess' port lineup is by far the best. Really a lot of bang for your cruising buck, seeing 11 great ports in 13 days. Haven't tried Princess before, but I think we'll enjoy it. PC dining is a big appeal for us.

Laura,

Kudo's to you for taking your cruise time to share with those of us anticipating the same or a similar experience. Husband and I are on the August 6th sailing and we are both getting more and more excited with each passing day. Thank you for your witty writing and review. Travel safely and continue to ENJOY!

Laura,

Thanks for doing such a great job of journaling our cruise. I agree that the Grand is a little tired in some places but maintenance is ongoing. On Caribe, they replaced the corridor carpeting and it smells very new.

We met up with Bee and Brenda at the Hotel Ala and took a water taxi in: it is truly the best way to get to the cruise ship. With luggage and 8 people, the cost was the same as public transport. I think the Ala is the best kept secret in Venice for the money. Well decorated rooms with A/c, we were upgraded to a canal room and on our second night were serenated by Princess passenger gondoliers. Wonderful! The staff is attentive and helpful: the location can't be beat.

We are in second seating traditional and find the timing of dinner to be correct for us. Even though this cruise is less intense than the Grand Med and we are back on the ship early to late afternoon, it's nice to relax on the balcony which I finally splurged on and have a nap. Awaking refreshed for dinner and a show, the day flies by.

I've noticed heightened security everywhere, from the Piazza San Marco to the individual train stations from Monatiraki to Piraeus.

In Dubrovnik, we met up with Bee, Brenda, and Ian and families and had a wonderful lunch at the Ragusa 2, located up the stairs to your left of the main street....very easy to find...lots of food...

We were in Delos (from Mykonos) this morning and it was stunning. Perhaps the size of Pompeii but less intact as it was covered with sand instead of lava and cinder over the centuries. Much restoration has gone on here. Be warned that the boat ride is very rough and I thank those who recommended an anti-nausea medication.

Ciao!

Catherine

PS Hi Diane...this is a great cruise! Chat with you soon!

Day 5 continued…

Dressed in best bib and tucker (with surprise, surprise… both boys wearing their bow ties undone… frantically asking random passers-by if they knew how to tie them) we arrived for Captain’s Dinner for 8 p.m.

NB: My grateful thanks to the anonymous gentleman who came to my sons’ rescue and did their ties (this is the same gentleman that appears to be trying to encourage one son – the medical student – to befriend his daughter…perhaps he thinks his tie-tying skills will enhance her chances). It’s a pity no-one watched how he did it as we are going to have the same dilemma later on in the week!!

In the end we had made our booking the evening beforehand in order to secure the time we wanted. Initially, the restaurant itself was relatively quiet, I suspect because the Captain was making his own address to the guests on board at 8.15 p.m. I would say that there was a 50/50 split of gentlemen wearing their tux or lounge suit. Interestingly, I did not see anyone casually dressed (teens included) until very late on that evening in the Vista Lounge (and then that was just one couple).

We finished dinner and headed to the Wheelhouse bar and then on to watch Shake, Rattle and Roll. Although I have seen the show before, this was one of the better productions I have seen and we all thoroughly enjoyed it.

Laura

Day 6 – Athens

Athens brought more of the same in the way of hot weather, with temperatures once more tipping 100F. In keeping with our 3 previous visits to this port, we again chose to stay on the ship.

Drum Roll………..this girl’s no longer a Spa Virgin. Following the Tahitian Head Massage I spent an hour today with Regina – for Reflexology, a Back Massage and a Facial. Just glad they didn’t offer me a man!!! I’ll rephrase that…I’m grateful it wasn’t a male masseur – me being a bit coy and all. I would definitely like to repeat the experience although I’m a little uncertain about the lime and ginger scrub that has been recommended next. I think I have to take all my clothes off for that one and I’m not sure the world’s ready for that yet… least of all me.

Almost half-way through and things have gone relatively well given the circumstances. The 900 kids on board do not appear to be an issue. I can’t really say that I have noticed them at all. They all seem very well behaved. Of course, I’ve noticed my own and could have clipped THEM around the ear a couple of times, but that’s families for you. Don’t you just love ‘em!!

BTW we were docked alongside the Brilliance of the Seas and we heard through the grapevine that they had been unable to dock at Mykonos (our next port of call) due to bad weather. Eeekk!

We had ordered the Ultimate Balcony Dinner for my outlaws who celebrated their joint birthdays and 54th anniversary the day before we left for the cruise. I hadn’t had chance to buy them a gift and this seemed perfect. Mihai (a room service manager) visited us beforehand and suggested that we do it as a surprise rather than pre-warn them. If we could get them out of their suite at 6.30 and back in for 7.00 he would do the rest. The only other bits he needed to know were a choice of drink and a choice of main course – lobster, fillet mignon or both. I am pleased to report the idea was a resounding success. They were thrilled with their gift and they were treated like royalty thoughout. The only slight blip in the proceedings was the fact we were delayed in Athens and instead of being at sea for the entire meal, they found themselves sat overlooking the dock for the first hour under the full pelt of the evening sun. That said, even that did not detract from what they describe as an evening that memories are made of!

Richard and I ate alone. We hadn’t pre-booked and were offered a table straight away. The time was about 8.15 p.m. The ship seemed quite quiet this evening at dinner. I know that many had done extended 9 hour tours in Athens, so many may have chosen to eat in Horizon Court.

After dinner we spent a couple of hours in the Explorers Lounge in the company of about 7 or 8 young adults. I was quite surprised (if not to say touched) that these youngsters sought our company and asked to join us. Some of us then took part in the game of Jeopady (a new one on us coming from the UK). It was good fun, despite gambling all our money (and losing it all) a couple of times. My only gripe was that there was a heavy bias towards a US audience and given that there is a strong British contingent onboard it would have been nice if the questions themselves could have been a bit more cosmopolitan. Moan over (LOL).

Couple of answers.

Brian. I have yet to catch up with Janet, but am carrying around a piece of paper with Brett’s name on it (for fear I forget) for when I do see her. I must have seen everyone else bar her. Isn’t that always the way.

Colin. I am told the new cruise director will be Frank Castillioni. I hope I’ve spelt that correctly. I know nothing about him, but I am sure someone will have some information for you. If I find out any more I will report back here.

Julie. According to the Excursions Office they have no idea as yet whether similar arrangements will be made for an excursion to the Palace of the Grand Masters. Apparently, they will know for sure 10 days beforehand. However, the comment made was “If Princess can get the Vatican to open, then I’m sure we can get a museum to open in Rhodes”!! From that I would deduce you will be okay J

We left Athens with the Captain describing the weather overnight as ‘fresh’. It looks as if we may be rolling a little. Bring it on!!

More soon

Laura

Having cruised on several Princess Ships, my wife and I are very comfortable with the decor, layout and PC dining.It is true that it is power packed with ports....my spin on that is why not see as much as possible...Europe is not exactly around the corner! It will be quite different from our past cruises though...alot of off ship tours...not much time on board.Some people have suggested Costa but again, the level of comfort is more important to us. Good luck booking your cruise in Oct 06!

Patrick

I would definitely like to repeat the experience although I’m a little uncertain about the lime and ginger scrub that has been recommended next. I think I have to take all my clothes off for that one
Laura – do it! It’s brilliant. For us males, they give us these paper thin (and I mean that) trunks for the scrub part, then you jump in the shower while the therapist is out of the room – so they really won’t see that much of you! I usually have this done when I cruise and I always look forward to it. If you like your back scratched, this is the experience for you!
Brian. I have yet to catch up with Janet, but am carrying around a piece of paper with Brett’s name on it (for fear I forget) for when I do see her. I must have seen everyone else bar her. Isn’t that always the way.
No worries…as I say, she’ll probably have a puzzled look on her face when you tell her the connection…hope you’re enjoying her as the CD.

Laura,

I'm very sorry for your recent loss.

Your posts have been an inspiration. We're in the process of planning either the same cruise or one of the similar ones, but not until 2007 and I am now chomping at the bit (and making notes) and more excited about 2007 than the 2 cruises we are planning in 2006!

Thanks so much for your detailed posts!

Laura - You go girl! Enjoy pampering yourself with massages and whatever else helps you to relax and enjoy your cruise. (I'm glad you clarified the man thing:D )

Your posts are anticipated and appreciated by many of us here at CC. Thanks for checking with the shore ex desk for us. You are so kind to make these efforts on behalf of others!

Julie

Laura, you are so cool.....and entertainingly funny!! I think it is a "Brit thing."

We met two very special couples from England in 2000 while on our Norwegian fjord cruise and we still stay in touch...hoping for a time the 8 of us can cruise together again. We have seen them since that cruise, but it would be very nice to share another cruise with the 4 of them. One couple lives in Beighton and the other just moved from there to Barlborough,Chesterfield. Of course, I love England anyway and you people are so outstanding I think.

Speaking of your 2 sons...we have 2 grown sons (and one is a medical Dr. at age 32)...aren't they great??!! We were just meant to be the parents of boys I guess...they are the best and so much fun to be with!! Maybe the daughter of the nice gentleman will be showing your son how to tie that tie the next formal night!! I am guessing that she is on the cruise with you.....

right?

I hope the weather at Mykonos is perfect for your docking...I will pray that this is God's will for your cruise.

Take care...and keep those fun reports coming our way!!!

Kay

Day 7 – Mykonos

After a slightly rocky night, where many of us aft on Caribe were awoken to a loud banging at 4 am (it was a rogue lifeboat apparently) I had to raise a wry smile, despite the early hour, when various bleary eyed faces appeared around the cabin doors to see what was going on (funnily enough all women… these men of ours slept on blissfully oblivious to the noise).

The day itself dawned bright and breezy and my fears that we might not be able to dock here were thankfully unfounded. When I say breezy, read this as blustery, gale force, blow you over breezy. Richard and I took a leisurely breakfast and wandered off the ship at about 10.15 (along with what felt like most of our fellow passengers). Perhaps I exaggerate a bit, but there were long lines of us waiting to purchase vouchers ($6 return) for the shuttle into Mykonos. Kudos to Princess, however, as the queues moved very quickly. In case anyone is interested I did notice a car rental/scooter hire outlet a few minutes stroll from the dock. We were told it was possible to walk into town in about 25 minutes. Personally, I would not recommend walking – mainly because I think it would take longer than that and the road appeared to be largely without a pavement (sidewalk) and looked quite treacherous.

Passengers alight very close to the main thoroughfare of shops and cafes around a small harbour. Quite simply Mykonos is idyllic, absolutely delightful and I can see the appeal of returning here year on year. I thought briefly about calling myself ‘Shirley Valentine’ today, but my DH didn’t seem enamoured by that suggestion… spoil sport!! There are lots of narrow side streets to explore, each of which host a smattering of shops (mainly clothing, pottery, embroidery etc) and a number of churches. Many of these seemed to have been converted from normal homes and were quite small. On one particular street there were three such churches next door to each other. The only thing I purchased, aside from some refreshments of the liquid variety, was some olive oil soap that I’d heard another cruise critic member rave about from a previous trip here. Some passengers were heading for the beach, but I can’t comment on the ease in which they found it since I haven’t spoken yet to anyone that went.

The later part of our day was spent around the pool where I managed at last to gain a little colour to my normally pallid and pale, sickly white skin. The trouble is the colour is “red” and couple that with a line from where my t-shirt sleeve finished, the overall effect is not what I’d describe as fetching. My solution is to avoid mirrors from now onwards so I can’t see how ridiculous I look.

French night in the restaurants was probably a treat for many but when you have difficulty getting some of your kids to do normal meat and veg the allure of escargots and frogs’ legs is just a bit too far to go. We managed the (good in parts) Rhythms of the City show in the Princess Theatre but the two clock changes have caught up with us and we headed for the stateroom for an early night rather than the Vista Lounge.

Captain Proctor once again forecast a little ‘movement’ overnight, offering the assurance that they will keep shifting the ballast to minimise passenger discomfort. Writing this note, as I am early on Day 8 I can tell you that I barely felt any movement at all – our passage to Kusadasi was relatively smooth with just the odd wobble now and then

Side-note from eldest son – it was in fact quite choppy, Force 8 winds and 4-5m swell, although saying that the movement was minimal!

Continuing on from this morning, I hesitate to report that again I didn’t get off the ship. Seriously I haven’t been glued in place, but I have been here twice before so it really is a case of ‘been there, done that’. Let’s face it there are only so many designer LV replica bags you can buy!! It has been hot again and I hope those passengers who travelled to Ephesus took lots of water and sunscreen with them. There is little respite from the sun and folk could easily become dehydrated or sun burnt there. It really is one of those ‘must do’ places. I would put the experience on a par with my trip to Pompeii. I found it fascinating and wished I’d paid more attention to my history lessons when I’d had chance to learn.

Instead this morning was spent, in part at least, in the laundry. For me, this is a real home from home and a venue that keeps me firmly grounded and in touch with reality. Actually, if I’m honest I love the novelty of using the big American washing machines which are so different from those on general sale in the UK. You can tell I’m easily pleased. Sshhhh don’t tell Richard or I can see him buying me a washing machine instead of a cruise for my next vacation.

Security here appears extremely tight. I have been told that the RCI withdrew this port from their itinerary and didn’t dock here this week. There is portable radar manned by a member of the crew stationed on the Promenade Deck, plus a big banner has hung from the ship warning boats in the area to not come within 50 metres (meters) of us. There is also a small speed boat patrolling the area, emblazoned with ‘security’ which chugs alongside any small vessel that comes too close. Its presence is quite reassuring actually.

I ate lunch in the main Dining Room today. It made a pleasant change from the buffet and I will definitely choose this option again. From overheard snippets of conversation it would appear that some people had been reluctant to get off the ship at all because of recent events here… and others who had, didn’t like the aggressive sales pitch from the shop keepers at the Bazaar. I think it is sad that people are too frightened to disembark, particularly those that have travelled long distances to get here in the first place. Perhaps my views are coloured a little at the moment, living a short distance from London. Everyone at home is trying to carry on as normal. Yes, the vendors in Kusadasi can be very pushy but I’ve found that if I smile brightly and firmly say “no thank you” or “later, not now” by and large I have been left alone and not pestered. I suppose it all depends on what sort of tolerance levels you have.

Well, I’ll wish you farewell for today. I’m headed to the open deck (Neptune’s Pool) for live sail-a-way music courtesy of Prestige. Later on I am planning on going to Island Night in the Med. We’ve never had one of these before on this sort of itinerary. Will they hand out Hawaiian flower lei I wonder? Whatever it sounds fun.

Laura

This is by far one of the most interesting and well written diaries that I've read in a while, possibly due to the fact that I'm anxious to cruise this same itinerary. Thanks for the time spent in sharing this!

I am thankful that Princess is providing top notch security for the Grand and all you passengers...going above and beyond once again! Thank You, Princess for taking this route instead of just avoiding the port. They are very cautious I know (from previous experiences with Princess).

I feel like you, Laura...what a shame for passengers to be too scared to disembark the ship after coming from so far far away. My husband is not the "traveler freak" that I am so he might wish us to stay onboard. Don't you know he has the grand gift of "putupmanship" to have been with me so many years!

__Thanks again for your daily reviews and comments..."You make my day!" as Clint Eastwood might put it.

Laura,

Thank you for the delightful account of your trip. You mentioned that you were in line for $6 vouchers to/from Mykonos. Is that something that gets put on your Princess account, or do you pay for that when you get the vouchers? Also very pleased to hear that you stopped in Kusadasi. I am very excited to Ephesus.

Keep the reports coming. We leave in 1 1/2 days, so I won't be able to finish reading your log until we return. Who knows, we might pass you disembarking while we are embarking! Lori

For those of you going to Ephesus, I recommend the Elite tour which includes the Terrace Houses. This section is undergoing restoration and has controlled access, but it is a breathtaking site, and contains many frescoes and mosaics.

Thanks for the great diary! I am studying abroad in Italy in 2007 and am really thinking about getting some people together for a Med cruise after...after reading this I am excited.

And don't you just love Andy Proctor? I had him on my first cruise 2 years ago and aboslutely adored him.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well!

Archived