Please dumb down cell phone data!

Fivehole

Tried searching but not having success. If I buy the Verizon plan for data and pay the $25 do I then incur charges from ships satellite service over and above to use data (pretty much just emails, won't be making calls) wondering if this is a less expensive option than an internet package to stay on top of emails. Sorry of this is a dumb question; not very savvy! I have a Samsung Galaxy if that means anything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Tried searching but not having success. If I buy the Verizon plan for data and pay the $25 do I then incur charges from ships satellite service over and above to use data (pretty much just emails, won't be making calls) wondering if this is a less expensive option than an internet package to stay on top of emails. Sorry of this is a dumb question; not very savvy! I have a Samsung Galaxy if that means anything.

AFAIK, there are TWO components to using your cell phone on a cruise, the charges form NCL for access to their system AND the charges form your provider. It may not be that way for all people all the time, but it very easily CAN be. Further knowing exactly what combination of charhes you will incur can be extremely difficult to decipher and it can run up an enormous bill rapidly. The best thing is to not use your cell phone on board at all unless absolutely 100% necessary.

On another note, I do know that is SOME ports US VI for example, soem carriers (Sprint is one AFAIK) inclue calling as part of heir standard plans. Off the ship can be different than on it.

I know I did not exactly clear things up for you 100%, but I wanted to share what I have.

Thanks. That's pretty much my frustration. We plan on using the phones for Iconcierge to keep in contact while on board; it's just the email component im trying to figure out.

Thanks. That's pretty much my frustration. We plan on using the phones for Iconcierge to keep in contact while on board; it's just the email component im trying to figure out.

On the newer ships you can use that app to do all that free. Well let me say you can text and call each other (as long as you all have the app) free. Calls to shore are still $$$$$. You can do reservation etc for free as well. That is MY understanding anyway. I think the app fee is $8 per cruise per person.

http://www.ncl.com/apps

iConcierge will use wifi, so you won't need to worry about a data plan for that. For personal email, you can also use the ship's wifi but for a fee. If you have a wifi enabled phone, which you would need for iConcierge, then no reason to do anything with cellular data.

Edited by LrgPizza

The simple answer if you use your cellular data on the ship to reach the internet you will see charges on your Verizon bill of .022 per kilobyte or $22 a meagabite. Easy to run up a huge bill. Use the ships wifi.

Thanks - that's what I needed!

Just turn roaming off and don't worry.

Roaming will cost a lot.

However check out your providers website for exact charges on calls, texts, voicemail, data etc., both on the ship and at the countries you visit on your cruise.

They will give you the exact costs involved.

airplane mode and ships wifi (charged) or at port a lot of the restaurants/bars have free wifi. Airplane mode should be turned on as soon as you board ship to avoid major unexpected charges

You didn't say where you were going - we were in the Western Caribbean last year and had no trouble finding free WiFi in the ports.

For answers to your Verizon questions, call them, the rep can give you the rundown on the costs beyond the $25. Also, remember, depending on where you are, you may not have service anyway.

airplane mode and ships wifi (charged) or at port a lot of the restaurants/bars have free wifi. Airplane mode should be turned on as soon as you board ship to avoid major unexpected charges

I would disagree with airplane mode.

If you do not want to get any incoming calls or texts then go ahead, but then it often disables the wifi as well, so you would need to manually turn that back on.

Turning off roaming will prevent any apps from accessing the internet without your knowledge.

You might as well turn the phone off if you have airplane mode.

I would rather have someone able to call me in an emergency and pay the odd pound/dollar to take that call at sea.

I would disagree with airplane mode.

If you do not want to get any incoming calls or texts then go ahead, but then it often disables the wifi as well, so you would need to manually turn that back on.

Turning off roaming will prevent any apps from accessing the internet without your knowledge.

You might as well turn the phone off if you have airplane mode.

I would rather have someone able to call me in an emergency and pay the odd pound/dollar to take that call at sea.

The key is to turn on airplane mode, but keep on wifi. It's all done in the same place on the phone and takes .3 seconds. If they want email, they can do that with wifi. The OP specified that they simply want to check email, not calls or texts. I think that's the point here - no data is needed if they have wifi, and wifi service can be purchased on the ship for much less than data charges would be through Verizon to download email.

Edited by LrgPizza

All ships have an emergency number that can be called by someone at home. True that there may be a delay of a few hours getting you the message (if you are not in your stateroom) but you most likely are not gothinging to rush off anyway.

The key is to turn on airplane mode, but keep on wifi. It's all done in the same place on the phone and takes .3 seconds. If they want email, they can do that with wifi. The OP specified that they simply want to check email, not calls or texts. I think that's the point here - no data is needed if they have wifi, and wifi service can be purchased on the ship for much less than data charges would be through Verizon to download email.

This is exactly what we do as well. And when we are on land we find a little restaurant, have lunch and check our emails. Yes, we can check them on the ship but we generally just wait. :D

It depends on the phone.

Not always in the same place as wifi, as you can often enable airplane mode via the power button.

The OP made no mention of preventing texts or incoming calls.

(I'm the OP) I think I'll just use ships WiFi to check email, as suggested. I'd like to be able to check text but I can do so in FL at least.

Thanks for all the info!

The simple answer if you use your cellular data on the ship to reach the internet you will see charges on your Verizon bill of .022 per kilobyte or $22 a meagabite. Easy to run up a huge bill. Use the ships wifi.

This is true unless you get the "Cruise/International Data Plan" for $25/100mb. I told my apps to only update over wifi to not waste the data and set a limit on the size of messages to download. Also, you'll need to enable Global Data Roaming.

As the phone picked up different cell towers I received a message about the data plan and how much my usage.

My phone is rooted and I was able to use it as a hotspot using the cruise data plan for my laptop too.

Viber is the free texting app I used. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent people from texting you using the cellular text and incurring a charge (at least that I could find!)

I have an iphone and Verizon. I am not savvy either when it comes to these things and in fact, only got this kind of phone approx. 6 months ago.

I called Verizon prior to our trip in March. I was told the $25 plan covered if I was at home (in the US) and wanted to make international calls. She told me it WOULD NOT cover me making calls if I and my phone were in a different country!

She said that I would pay approx. 2.50/min for calls I made. She said that it would only cost me 50cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive one. She also advised that I put my roaming option on voice only, so the phone would not roam and check my email for me, etc.

I barely used my phone - kept it off most of the time. I did tell family and friends at home if they NEEDED to get hold of us, to send me a text and I would be checking it periodically.

My advice would be to call Verizon directly and have them send you an email confirmation of everything they tell you.

Good luck! Have a great cruise!