Live from the Viking Hermod, Portraits of Southern France

rjscott

We did not get the walking tour of Tournon - just the chocolate factory (ValRhona chocolate you can get all over France and even in the States, and to me was a waste IMO)

Hi Elizabeth -

Thanks for this info. We are actually thinking of skipping the walking tour of Tournon (we are with Avalon) as it seems as if it is another walk around a town full of half-timbered houses. Have seen lots over the years - and unless there is something different in Tournon, figured the Valrhona factory would be interesting to see the process of chocolate making. Did you not get to see any of the production process on your tour??

I am not a chocolate fan, but I really do like Valrhona dark chocolate - so figured a visit would be fun (and a good way to bring souvenirs home without costing me a fortune!!!).

Fran

Fran,

Our time at Valrhona was not that long; maybe 1/2 hr, and we did not get to see any of the chocolate-making process. Too bad, because I would have enjoyed that. The store was mobbed, maybe b/c it was close to Easter, and I nearly left w/o making a purchase. But, my husband knows how I love chocolate and so he picked up a basket and insisted I get a few things. :) The prices there were much better than elsewhere in France (as I found when we were in a few other gift shops). And, the selection there certainly can't be beat. Even if you would find the store mobbed like I did, there are plenty of cashiers on hand, and so your wait to make a purchase won't be long at all. And, you will be rewarded with some additional goodies/freebies in your bag at the register. ;)

Becki

Becky and Fran - apparently, according to our local guide, the Valrhona factory does not offer tours or let anyone in to see their manufacturing process. I think they are a bit touchy about propietary secrets. I tried to take pictures when we were inside the shop and was yelled at by the salesman that no photos were allowed. Now, these are pictures of packaged goods that are on store shelves in lots of places, so I'm not sure what the issue was, but I did get off a couple pics before he yelled at me. Others in our group were also yelled at, so it wasn't just me. They do offer you samples of everything, so you can feast away to your hearts content. And yes, the prices are supposedly better.

As far as Tournon goes, what I could see of the place as the bus whisked us to the other side of he river was lots of ruins of Medieval fortifications and a castle on the top of the hill (walkable though). And of course the usual several churches. Actually didn't glimpse any half timbered houses. Tain l'Hermitage on the other hand had nothing much to see at all - other than the chocolate factory - and to me lacked all charm.

I think it depends on where Avalon takes you other than the chocolate factory. As I said in my earlier post, we then went to a "no-name" artists museum run out of his daughters house, and then to a 3rd rate vineyard (more affordable wine is I think how Viking put it). Avalon may take you to different places that would be more interesting.

Tain is the center of many excellent wineries. We are doing a pre tour of the town/area, before our September cruise down the river. My advise is not take part in the Viking tours and set up your own winery tours of the area. There are many possibilities and all can be done via the internet. We are having lunch at one of the wineries paired along with their fabulous wines.

What I hear in many of these posts are non wine lovers complaining because Viking is taking them to Napa and doing a Gallo tour, because it's cheap. Get off the structured crap tour and explore on your own. The excellent wines of Crozes Hermitage will definitely make the adventure worth the effort. ;)

Guess this is slightly off topic, but adding to my last post. I'm sure that for some travelers it's a financial issue, but for me far to much of some itineraries on river cruises get to caught up shuffling people to and from lunch. When I'm in many of these ancient river towns, for the day, I typically skip the trip back to the boat for lunch, while wandering and finding wonderful places to try the local food and beer/wine. The boats give us ample opportunities to eat lunch on board, as we're motoring down the river. Why waste the opportunity to eat locally? If a tour is offered, I ask where we can meet up. If the afternoon is free, I've saved myself from another round trip bus ride to eat another boat meal! :)

Elizabeth, we docked on the Tournon side of the river and had a bit of a walking tour there b/f walking across the river to see some sights there and then being picked up by our bus to go to the other locations you've mentioned. Maybe that was the difference in the South to North cruise?

Pinotlover, your plan sounds great. From where we docked, the vineyards on the hillsides were so striking. As far as the shuttling back to the ship for lunch, in a few cases, we arrived in port after lunch, and in others we were leaving port near the lunch hour or sailing during that time. I believe a few couples did have dinner in Lyon the evening we were docked there.

Becki

Could anyone tell me how to go about setting up our own winery tours? How would we do that via the internet? I am enjoying all the info about the towns we will visit on our Portraits of Southern France. We sail on the Buri in Nov. Anyone else on the Buri going south to north on Nov. 1?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinotlover - I think your plan sounds great and I wish we had done this. I agree that the Hermtage wineries up on the Tain hill would be fabulous to go to. Unfortunately, that's not where the took us, but a bus ride down in the valley to Domaine du Murinais. And I agree that going back to the ship for lunch is a waste of time if you have the whole day in port. While in Arles and Lyon, we just stayed in town and ate at a great Bistro. We also spun off on our own and hit the Gallo-Roman Museum in Vienne, which I would highly recommend.

RJScott - yes, we docked on the Tournon side of the river as well, but we did NOT get a walking tour of Tournon at all. Just got off the ship right onto the buses and whisked off to the Chocolate Factory. Then the artist museum, then the winery and then back on the boat just as it was getting ready to sail. Don't know if it's the North/South thing or some other reason, but it was disappointing.

Do you remember where you ate in Lyon? We want to eat there while in port but there are so many restaurants, I have no idea where we should go.

We did not eat off the ship while in Lyon, but the concierge had a list of recommendations and would assist with reservations and with arranging transportation.

Becki

We are on a similar itinerary in August with Tauck " French Waterways" so I am reading your daily posts with great interest. I am travelling with my mother who has mobility issues and uses a wheelchair, so thank you for any comments re accessibility or terrain. Sounds like there will be some very tricky parts to negotiate.

Just a quick pop in with another view of the stop in Tain l'Hermitage. We've just returned this week and my husband and I loved the little art museum, Musee Piere Palue. Perhaps it was the wonderful introduction and information given by our local guide that helped for us. We enjoyed the variety of the art, the story of the artist and his daughter was delightful. The old, old historic house has really been renovated and it's charming - don't miss the courtyard. As you can see, we each have our own favorites and this was one for us. The wine stop was "okay" and the chocolate shop was just that - a shop. But, they are very generous with their tasting and we are still nibbling on some that we brought home. By the end of tomorrow you should be able to check out photos on Flickr (snappy03).

We are on a similar itinerary in August with Tauck " French Waterways" so I am reading your daily posts with great interest. I am travelling with my mother who has mobility issues and uses a wheelchair, so thank you for any comments re accessibility or terrain. Sounds like there will be some very tricky parts to negotiate.

Is your mother's wheelchair lightweight and easy to navigate? If not, you might consider renting one that is for the trip. My mother is in a long-term care facility and needs to use a wheelchair to get around for distances. They let us use a lightweight wheelchair for travel when we take her out and it makes an immense difference. One of those would make a world of difference in getting a wheelchair easily over the many cobblestones in the cities like Avignon, Arles and especially Lyon. In Lyon's Old City, there were places where there were gaps in the cobblestones, so you'll just want to be mindful of those as you walk.

In Avignon, those with mobility issues were not taken on the Papal Palace tour due to the many steps. In Arles, there was a modified tour for those with mobility issues, due to the hills there and the limited wheelchair access to the Roman arena.

Hope this helps.

Becki

Edited by rjscott

Memaw123;

Try visiting Paul Jaboulet Aine, Vineum and most especially Mason M. Chapoutier. Both are right in the middle of Tain and close to the chocolate factory. You can google them or go to Wine travel guides and find their email addresses and set up an appointment. Pretty simple.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you pinotlover. I will contact the wineries you suggested and hopefully we will be able to visit them.

To all who have written about their experiences on the Portaits of Southern France a great big thank you!

Any one sailing on the Buri on Nov 1st?

• 2 weeks later...

I too want to thank everyone for the awesome information and insight from their varied experiences. We are on the Viking Heimdal leaving Avignon to Lyon August 5th 2014. So excited! We've been to France four times, but never river cruising. Please keep the comments coming and I'll try to return the favor from ours.

• 11 months later...
So glad to see you doing this. We are doing the same cruise in the opposite direction in September and there are very few reviews of this cruise.

We are Ginny and John will be doing the Normandy cruise on the Pride Aug 16 and the cruise to Avignon on the 23 on the Hermod. Will be glad to follow your exploits.

We are Ginny and John will be doing the Normandy cruise on the Pride Aug 16 and the cruise to Avignon on the 23 on the Hermod. Will be glad to follow your exploits.

Hi, Ginny & John,

This thread is from 2014. You may prefer to follow this more current thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2216390

Becki