The Grandeur - Yes or No

Thank you, this is our families first cruise. Since we have never cruised before we probably won't miss all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships. We choose the Grandeur more because of her price and location. But knowing that it is smaller and more intimate is very appealing. Less time having to fight thru crowds of the bigger ships and more time relaxing, sounds like a good time to us. It also sounds like that have done a great job with the remodel and added or updated a lot of things on the ship.

Just booked the Grandeur yesterday. Royal had a crazy weekend JS sale for the cruise we'll be on the end of May.

This will be our 1st time on the Grandeur and have never cruised out of Baltimore. Lack of bells & whistles will absolutely not be an issue with us. It looks like the port is around 10 or 11 miles from BWI. Is that about right? $25 or $30 cab ride maybe? Thanks.

Tim

20 minute taxi ride from BWI to Port of Baltimore is typical if it's not rush hour. If it is rush hour, it can be quite a bit longer than that;):) Grandeur is a lovely smaller ship without all the bells 'n whistles. That suits me fine. I love the fact that it is easy to get everywhere, and you actually run into the same people/staff/crew over and over again. And it doesn't take 20 minutes to exit the theater after the show! Have a great cruise!

Edited by KeywestK

I love both ships...Explorer and Grandeur. I really hate to see the Explorer leave NJ. I am afraid the Quantum will be way out of our price range for a while. We can do 2 cruises on the Grandeur for the price of one on the Quantum.

We will be doing our cruising out of Baltimore from now on or at least for a while. Such an easy port for embarkation and debarkation. Plus, closer to home.

I love the open feeling of the Grandeur, where you can see out to "sea" from almost every location. That is why I love cruising. I want to "see" the "sea". :p;)

Try it, I think you will like it. If not, then you will know not to sail on this class ship again. I am not into the activities so much, but like to just lounge around and relax.

Whatever you decide...have a great cruise.

Gwen :)

Thank you, this is our families first cruise. Since we have never cruised before we probably won't miss all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships. We choose the Grandeur more because of her price and location. But knowing that it is smaller and more intimate is very appealing. Less time having to fight thru crowds of the bigger ships and more time relaxing, sounds like a good time to us. It also sounds like that have done a great job with the remodel and added or updated a lot of things on the ship.

We took our first cruise on Grandeur and loved it so much we booked our second cruise on her for Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We just returned yesterday from a cruise on the Grandeur, we mostly cruise Voyager and Radiance class ships for more bells and whistles, this time we wanted to just kick back and relax and actually booked the trip a week before, we had a great time, the crew was great!

There were some minor issues with the ship, but we never had a sewer smell or any issues that prevented us from having a good time.

The port is great and much better than Bayonne, getting in and parking is a breeze, and your on the ship before you know it.

Food was good, shows were good, especially the arial show!

The ship is smaller and good for a nice relaxing vacation.

Give it a try and have a great time!

I have been on the larger ships and I was a bit nervous sailing Grandeur. My only complaint with Grandeur were the shower curtains! :D Give me sliding doors please LOL!

But other than that, I really didn't mind the smaller ship. It seemed more cozy that way never felt crowded. I also love what they have done with the centrum, making it a central place for events.

At the same time, I do miss the royal promenades. My cruise before this one was on Serenade and my upcoming one is on Jewel. I love that each class of ship has something different to offer.

How is the wifi on the Grandeur? Is it ship wide? We were recently on the Explorer and I usually ended up on the Library to log into work. Although I only do so once per day, it would be nice to just do so from my cabin when I felt like it.

Considering the Grandeur in the Spring of 2015. We had a very relaxing time on the Explorer and would like to just sail and relax....not go crazy at ports, etc. My idea of a relaxing cruise is Sleep, read, eat, drink, repeat.....

• 10 months later...
I love both ships...Explorer and Grandeur. I really hate to see the Explorer leave NJ. I am afraid the Quantum will be way out of our price range for a while. We can do 2 cruises on the Grandeur for the price of one on the Quantum.

We will be doing our cruising out of Baltimore from now on or at least for a while. Such an easy port for embarkation and debarkation. Plus, closer to home.

I love the open feeling of the Grandeur, where you can see out to "sea" from almost every location. That is why I love cruising. I want to "see" the "sea". :p;)

Try it, I think you will like it. If not, then you will know not to sail on this class ship again. I am not into the activities so much, but like to just lounge around and relax.

Whatever you decide...have a great cruise.

Gwen :)

I really think they ought to rethink how they credit people for the different levels.. There is no way.."We can do 2 cruises on the Grandeur for the price of one on the Quantum." That is fair on ANY level..

First cruise - Monarch of the Seas....thought it was huge.

Next cruise - Rhapsody of the Seas....was ok..our older teens were board on sail dates to Alaska (we kind of were too) but entertainment in Schooner Bar was a blast

Next Cruise - Independance of the Seas (loved the promenade and larger ship activities) but always fighting crowds everyplace we went.

Last Cruise - Navigator of the Seas - perfect size ship for us with great activities.

Next Cruise - Granduer of the Seas - taking opportunity to enjoy balcony mostly and seek adventure in the ports. Smaller ship but the focus this time is R&R.

We figure any day on any ship is better than a day in the office. Looking foward to making new friends and laughing along the way.