Gifts for Room Steward

tlsearay

I am looking for ideas of gifts to give to the room steward when we board or during the cruise. We always give them a cash tip every evening and at the end of the cruise in addition to the automatic tips. I just thought it might be nice to bring something.

Any ideas?

We take them Hersey's minatures candy bars, they say candy is expensive so they do not buy it, every time, they love it.!!

Give the gift of friendship. Exchange e-mail addresses and keep in touch for life. Nothing better than that.

It would be funny if this wasnt so sad. They work long hard hours, cleaning hauling food, have very little money or time to email family or friends. But you think the best gift is your email address so you can be friends for life? You dont know this person, and just because they cleaned your toilet or emptied your garbage, does not me they want to be your friend for life. Any more they when they stand and get grilled about life on ship, that is not really how they want to be spending their time.

Say Thanks, and give a bigger tip, and respect that they are not now or likely ever to be your BFF

It would be funny if this wasnt so sad. They work long hard hours, cleaning hauling food, have very little money or time to email family or friends. But you think the best gift is your email address so you can be friends for life? You dont know this person, and just because they cleaned your toilet or emptied your garbage, does not me they want to be your friend for life. Any more they when they stand and get grilled about life on ship, that is not really how they want to be spending their time.

Say Thanks, and give a bigger tip, and respect that they are not now or likely ever to be your BFF

*LIKE*

I understand that people mean well by doing this , but you are right. These people cleaned your room for a week or so and maybe you had a few nice conversations with you, but as soon as you vacate the cabin , the stewards do it all over again with another set of occupants. It is their job.

I respect and appreciate all the hard work the staff do for me on a cruise , but how are they any different than the girl who waits on me at Dunkin Donuts every morning, or the waitress at the restaurant I frequent at home.

Treat them with respect and give them a good tip. That is all they want.

I do a number of things

I bring a gift related to the holiday if it is a holiday cruise such as a decorated wreath for Christmas or an Easter basket full if goodies at Easter

These workers may not celebrate the same holidays you do and you may actually be insulting them.

Sometimes little trinkets from my home state like a Yankees baseball cap or a key chain with the Statue of Liberty hanging off it

Sorry, but I don't give a rat's butt about New York - been there once - once is enough - these trinkets would end up in the trash. Just because they are meaningful to you doesn't mean they are to me.

But as I like to tip regularly during the cruise to any crew member I have contact with I just fold numerous $2 dollar bills into intricate origami designs and just hand them out. To the bartenders the servers at breakfast lunch and dinner the pool towel guy the washy washy lady and of course the steward

Great, so why do you not tip other service employees whom you have paid, according to your other posts?

This practice often allows me to start long conversations with the crew and we show each other pix of our kids and grand kids.

They probably miss their own children/grandchildren as well, and this may make them more sad.

I got all of these ideas from cruise critic too so I know I am not the only one who does this and I never would have done any of these things had I not gotten the ideas here

And I forgot that when we cruise during February I usually pack several 1 or 2 pound boxes of heart boxed chocolates to give out

Valentine's Day is a Hallmark holiday to sell flowers, cards, and candy. Maybe these workers don't like candy, or giving them a gift is not acceptable with their religious beliefs?

They are all quite grateful for theses gifts and tips

Until you walk away.....

I guess we should be tipping our plumbers roofers electricians appliance repairmen too. You know all those people that hand you a bill when they are done doing the job you hired them to do

We could probably add doctors dentists and lawyers to the group

I am in a service industry, and make good money. However, I am not making 25% or more of what I have to charge you and living the good life on the 18th hole at the Country Club. We also appreciate receiving tips, though they are not expected nor solicited for. How is a restaurant server any different than the guy fixing your dishwasher? They are both providing a service of some sort to ensure your comfort and convenience. I work in the HVAC industry - I can keep your house warm in the winter and cool in the summer - do I not deserve anything extra for keeping you from sweating or freezing when an emergency call is made at midnight? I could've simply stayed in bed and let you suffer. Is my time not worth anything because I am a service worker? Am I a notch down on the food chain? Sorry, but anyone who provides a service to you is worth something.

BTW, I'm not attacking you personally, just trying to point out the convoluted way you justify your actions in regards to tipping.