Gifts for Room Steward

tlsearay

You are simply rude. All of the CC Members (and YES! I have been a Member for 16 years), regardless of if they are past employees or regular cruisers, or new cruisers, or all of the above, come here because of their love of the industry. I find it SO hard to sit here at times and listen to people on MANY of the threads that are supposed to be fun being so NASTY!

NO ONE DIED AND MADE ANY OF YOU GOD OF CRUISING, GOD OF KNOWLEDGE OF EVERYTHING CRUISING, OR JUST PLAIN GOD TO PASS JUDGEMENT!

I truly miss the days when people could come here for information, to talk about and anticipate their vacation, to help each other gather information and get excited, and to pass ideas that you could either take or not. Also, to meet people that you will be on board with. It is nasty people that take the fun out of this.

I TRULY miss the days of making good friends on here! Thank goodness I have learned almost exactly WHICH posters to ignore! Because almost everything they say is going to be negative or nasty, and almost everything they are going to post is a slam! SAD!

Dawn

Well said and unfortunately so true. I have also been a member for awhile-2000- and I skip over many threads because of the posters and do a lot of eye rolls they are usually done privately but occasionally I get mad enough to write something but it usually gets pulled!

I only said those that were in the buffet area serving me. That

Is the only place we ate for breakfast and most days at lunch. There were a few

that served us who went above what was expected. And I don't care if I have already paid my tips. I always give a lot more to my room steward, I tip room service, and I give more to our wait staff at the end of the week.

It's my money and I don't feel guilty about doing a good deed. God bless !!!

Well then we should all start tipping the washy washy person. The pool towel person The guy grilling on the lido barbecue. The guy vacuuming the elevator waiting area

Really that is the point of the dsc so you do not have to concern yourself with who gets tipped and who doesn't.

It is not my place to question how much lower level crew get paid. If I feel it is " slave labor" my choice is to not patronize a cruise.

Tip the waiter and steward extra ok I get it but when you start tipping everyone who crosses your path then it is obvious you feel guilty for being able to cruise and quite possibly a better way to spend your time off is helip the poor and malnourished in Central America Africa India etc.

THIS.

Reposting incase anyone missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by missy428

I went kayaking today at the lake and spent too much time without sunscreen...and for that, I am now a person WITH color. :rolleyes:

I digress....

I work in the service industry...specifically, I'm a wedding DJ/emcee. I also own a karaoke/dj business since 1994. I really love getting paid. I also really love being remembered when the gratuities are being passed out. Occasionally, though, I'll get a wedding favor to take home in leau of a gratuity: a centerpiece, a coozie, bottle of cider, shot glass, mini-frame, candle, specialized candy, etc. with the B&G's name and date imprinted (usually I forget who they are...I work for a wedding/banquet facility so I do about 60-75 events/year).

Honestly, I appreciate the gestures...I know the cost that goes into these favors, but the truth is: as much as I appreciate them, I have NO use for them...I don't drink cider, I avoid candy, I don't drink shots, my husband is sick of candles and I have ridiculous allergies (I get shot treatments bi-monthly for them) that usually flare up when I bring a centerpiece home against my better judgment. The truth is: the cash is what I really want. I use it to add to my music collection, to put gas in my vehicle or to put towards my next cruise!! :D

The only practical gift I can remember getting from a B&G was a thank you card with an iTunes card enclosed...that was cool.

I like cash, and I will tip cash. I prepay, during pay and postpay tips. Always have, always will. :)

I went kayaking today at the lake and spent too much time without sunscreen...and for that, I am now a person WITH color. :rolleyes:

I digress....

I work in the service industry...specifically, I'm a wedding DJ/emcee. I also own a karaoke/dj business since 1994. I really love getting paid. I also really love being remembered when the gratuities are being passed out. Occasionally, though, I'll get a wedding favor to take home in leau of a gratuity: a centerpiece, a coozie, bottle of cider, shot glass, mini-frame, candle, specialized candy, etc. with the B&G's name and date imprinted (usually I forget who they are...I work for a wedding/banquet facility so I do about 60-75 events/year).

Honestly, I appreciate the gestures...I know the cost that goes into these favors, but the truth is: as much as I appreciate them, I have NO use for them...I don't drink cider, I avoid candy, I don't drink shots, my husband is sick of candles and I have ridiculous allergies (I get shot treatments bi-monthly for them) that usually flare up when I bring a centerpiece home against my better judgment. The truth is: the cash is what I really want. I use it to add to my music collection, to put gas in my vehicle or to put towards my next cruise!! :D

The only practical gift I can remember getting from a B&G was a thank you card with an iTunes card enclosed...that was cool.

I like cash, and I will tip cash. I prepay, during pay and postpay tips. Always have, always will. :)

I would never think to tip the dj. Call me ignorant call me cheap but dj's at sweet 16 parties command $2000 plus and they are a one person operation.

Doesn't matter to me if I hire them directly or hire them thru the venue. The dj works hard to get the stuff to the venue pick the right songs make the party fun. But that is why he is charging $2000. If that is not enough for him then he should raise his prices.

$2000 is on the low side around here btw and fwiw. I don't do wedding like sweet 16 parties but I know what they cost as I have several teenage children

Oh while we are at it should one also tip the baker that is making a $600 cake?

Those 2 I mention are not service employees in my book. They are selling a product be it entertainment or a cake. So I pay for the product.

Oh darn I forgot to tip the cashier at target!! That is a service industry job.

And yes I leave the cruise dsc on and tip the steward and waiter extra. But that's it

The bartender get 15% auto tip and I don't feel guilty not tipping the buffet staff

Edited by Crusin6

I would never think to tip the dj. Call me ignorant call me cheap but dj's at sweet 16 parties command $2000 plus and they are a one person operation.

Doesn't matter to me if I hire them directly or hire them thru the venue. The dj works hard to get the stuff to the venue pick the right songs make the party fun. But that is why he is charging $2000. If that is not enough for him then he should raise his prices.

$2000 is on the low side around here btw and fwiw. I don't do wedding like sweet 16 parties but I know what they cost as I have several teenage children

Oh while we are at it should one also tip the baker that is making a $600 cake?

Those 2 I mention are not service employees in my book. They are selling a product be it entertainment or a cake. So I pay for the product.

Oh darn I forgot to tip the cashier at target!! That is a service industry job.

And yes I leave the cruise dsc on and tip the steward and waiter extra. But that's it

The bartender get 15% auto tip and I don't feel guilty not tipping the buffet staff

PLEASE NOTE: MY RESPONSE IS WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, IS BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE & I DON'T WISH TO DEBATE, ARGUE or CAUSE WAVES IN THE OP's TOPIC.

It's your area and your preference. What you pay for a DJ there (wherever you are) isn't a universal rate everywhere. I could try to command 3/4 of that if I booked a gig on my own, but since I work for an all-inclusive events center, the rate is fixed (not by me) as part of the package so I make about 1/4 of that. I don't complain, though, since I work regularly (have been there for 7 years) and the work is booked for me. People sometimes tip, because they know they got a helluva good discount on this service. Some people don't. Regardless, it doesn't change the good service they receive from me.

It's no different than the never-ending money dance debate: some have it, some don't. Their reasons why vary. If they have the money dance, they know that some will participate and some won't. Those who do participate will do it happily and without any issue (most people AROUND HERE already know to bring cash to a wedding for various incidentals) but it's funny how those who DON'T participate in the money dance (also known in these here parts as the Honeymoon Dance, you know? Go out and give the Bride (or Groom...whomever you choose...or both) 20 bucks or 10 or 5 or a dollar...and dance a few moments and chat and wish them well...and rest satisfaction that you just helped send them off on a fantastic honeymoon (or whatever)....) are the ones that will sit there chomping on a generous portion of wedding cake complaining about how tacky that formality is and with righteous indignation defend their right to declare everything as they see it law.

Tip or don't. My SERVICE will still be professional and entertaining.

What I will say is that, with all due respect, it's funny how those who don't work in service seem to have a grasp and a definition of the parameters of what service is and who belongs within said parameters. Just because something doesn't exist or fit a description in your neck of the woods, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Having said that, I provide a service...and I provide a good. But, it's a service. I don't just bake a cake, drop it off and bam! It's done. I create a timeline, I provide music that I've purchased, I emcee, I take orders, take requests, listen to righteous non-tipping, overly bossy friends and family tell me how to do my job, what songs to play next, what to say, what to do and I do it with a smile. I watch families come together and I watch families combust. I provide a service. People who work in the service industry know.

Again, I shared my experience in the earlier post NOT to get an earful of why DJ's aren't a service position and why I'm not making more (going rates clearly indicate there's ONE DJ manning the entire fort where you are).

You can debate my opinion, but you cannot debate my experience. My experience is what I share. Tip or don't. I don't care. You'll still get the same quality service from this award-winning 20-years' experienced DJ who chooses to work regularly every weekend at a deeply discounted rate as opposed to trying to charge literally 4 times that amount and get a bite every few months. Oh yeah, did I mention I was grateful? I bet I did. I'm grateful for the work...and my service reflects one of gratitude and not of greed.

But again, I just explained what I would prefer...if ever given the choice by a client that DID tip....I would prefer the cash. NOT that I don't or didn't appreciate the other gifts as gestures, but the practical use is of no value. Same as on the ship...no matter how memorable I am, how nice, how funny, how impeccably clean I keep my room for my steward, no matter what it is, I cannot be under any illusion that I'm that one special snowflake that anyone on any Carnival ship that ever provided ANY kind of service for me is EVER gonna remember me once I debark. My personal details are gonna fall right into their mental recycle bin and it's done. And that's okay. I don't service NEARLY the quantity of people at any given event that they do...I wouldn't expect them to remember anything. And it wouldn't offend me in the least.

To reiterate my 2 cents: gifts are nice gestures, but cash tips are preferred.

Have a nice day!

It's my understanding that all the others, i.e., buffet workers, servers, bartenders, pool guy, etc., get part of the overall tip -- it's divided among them all. That's why we give our cabin steward and waiter a little extra because they directly affect us more closely.

Wasn't the OP's question about gifts, something more personable, in addition to extra tips and not tipping anyway?

Edited by Terre

:eek:

I too don't understand this, it's very patronizing and problematic to treat people of color in the service industry like little children by giving them treats for a job well done. especially when the gesture is really a way for you to appease your guilt at having someone clean up after you all week. If you want to do something for exemplary service tip them extra or make note if it in your post cruise survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:confused::confused: Is it OK to do it to the many, many Eastern European crew members who mostly are white? I have no idea how you managed to turn this into a race issue.

Edited by ronandannette

I was a sociology major, I get where you are coming from, and I think realities regarding POC need to be pointed out. The problem is that many stewards are from Eastern Europe and I really don't think people are approaching it with "gee, what should we get that little Asian guy as a treat" in mind. I could be wrong. It's more "gee, what should we get that super sweet, always smiling guy running around cleaning all day as a treat."

You've taken some heat here, I think your words were misplaced, but is commend you for being strong enough to come back to the conversation and aware enough to have the subject on the brain. <3

Sorry, I don't think it's commendable in any way, nor does it take any extrarodinary degree of social sensitivity to throw race into a discussion like this. As per your own point, many stewards are white and for all missy428 knows many of the posters in this thread who want to give them gifts may be "people of colour"...kind of turns the issue on it's head doesn't it.

Edited by ronandannette

PLEASE NOTE: MY RESPONSE IS WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, IS BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE & I DON'T WISH TO DEBATE, ARGUE or CAUSE WAVES IN THE OP's TOPIC.

It's your area and your preference. What you pay for a DJ there (wherever you are) isn't a universal rate everywhere. I could try to command 3/4 of that if I booked a gig on my own, but since I work for an all-inclusive events center, the rate is fixed (not by me) as part of the package so I make about 1/4 of that. I don't complain, though, since I work regularly (have been there for 7 years) and the work is booked for me. People sometimes tip, because they know they got a helluva good discount on this service. Some people don't. Regardless, it doesn't change the good service they receive from me.

It's no different than the never-ending money dance debate: some have it, some don't. Their reasons why vary. If they have the money dance, they know that some will participate and some won't. Those who do participate will do it happily and without any issue (most people AROUND HERE already know to bring cash to a wedding for various incidentals) but it's funny how those who DON'T participate in the money dance (also known in these here parts as the Honeymoon Dance, you know? Go out and give the Bride (or Groom...whomever you choose...or both) 20 bucks or 10 or 5 or a dollar...and dance a few moments and chat and wish them well...and rest satisfaction that you just helped send them off on a fantastic honeymoon (or whatever)....) are the ones that will sit there chomping on a generous portion of wedding cake complaining about how tacky that formality is and with righteous indignation defend their right to declare everything as they see it law.

Tip or don't. My SERVICE will still be professional and entertaining.

What I will say is that, with all due respect, it's funny how those who don't work in service seem to have a grasp and a definition of the parameters of what service is and who belongs within said parameters. Just because something doesn't exist or fit a description in your neck of the woods, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Having said that, I provide a service...and I provide a good. But, it's a service. I don't just bake a cake, drop it off and bam! It's done. I create a timeline, I provide music that I've purchased, I emcee, I take orders, take requests, listen to righteous non-tipping, overly bossy friends and family tell me how to do my job, what songs to play next, what to say, what to do and I do it with a smile. I watch families come together and I watch families combust. I provide a service. People who work in the service industry know.

Again, I shared my experience in the earlier post NOT to get an earful of why DJ's aren't a service position and why I'm not making more (going rates clearly indicate there's ONE DJ manning the entire fort where you are).

You can debate my opinion, but you cannot debate my experience. My experience is what I share. Tip or don't. I don't care. You'll still get the same quality service from this award-winning 20-years' experienced DJ who chooses to work regularly every weekend at a deeply discounted rate as opposed to trying to charge literally 4 times that amount and get a bite every few months. Oh yeah, did I mention I was grateful? I bet I did. I'm grateful for the work...and my service reflects one of gratitude and not of greed.

But again, I just explained what I would prefer...if ever given the choice by a client that DID tip....I would prefer the cash. NOT that I don't or didn't appreciate the other gifts as gestures, but the practical use is of no value. Same as on the ship...no matter how memorable I am, how nice, how funny, how impeccably clean I keep my room for my steward, no matter what it is, I cannot be under any illusion that I'm that one special snowflake that anyone on any Carnival ship that ever provided ANY kind of service for me is EVER gonna remember me once I debark. My personal details are gonna fall right into their mental recycle bin and it's done. And that's okay. I don't service NEARLY the quantity of people at any given event that they do...I wouldn't expect them to remember anything. And it wouldn't offend me in the least.

To reiterate my 2 cents: gifts are nice gestures, but cash tips are preferred.

Have a nice day!

May I just add this. If I am paying for a service such as in a dj. I do not need to tip them as I already paid the quoted price either from the dj or the venue

If I go to a restaurant I am paying for the food so I do not need to tip the restaurant owner who in essence is providing the food. However I will tip the waiter. Why? Because I am not paying him for the food

I pay the cruise line for a cabin which includes a steward who is paid by the cruise line But I am not paying for the steward I am paying for the cabin so I choose to tip the steward extra

I am paying for a dj so no need to tip extra nor do I have to provide a dinner for them as I am paying them to work not eat

Do bosses routinely buy their employees lunch?

Bottom line I am not tipping people I am already paying a goodly sum to do what I hired them to do

I guess we should be tipping our plumbers roofers electricians appliance repairmen too. You know all those people that hand you a bill when they are done doing the job you hired them to do

We could probably add doctors dentists and lawyers to the group

• 3 months later...
Well then we should all start tipping the washy washy person. The pool towel person The guy grilling on the lido barbecue. The guy vacuuming the elevator waiting area

Really that is the point of the dsc so you do not have to concern yourself with who gets tipped and who doesn't.

It is not my place to question how much lower level crew get paid. If I feel it is " slave labor" my choice is to not patronize a cruise.

Tip the waiter and steward extra ok I get it but when you start tipping everyone who crosses your path then it is obvious you feel guilty for being able to cruise and quite possibly a better way to spend your time off is helip the poor and malnourished in Central America Africa India etc.

Quite a judgmental comment.

I hope you put your money where your mouth is!

Most of these workers are sophisticated and worldly workers. They are not people who would sell Manhattan for $24.00 in junk jewelry.:p The only thing I can think of that might actually be useful for your steward(s) would be a small LED flashlight. I find these things incredibly handy and they imght too.

Otherwise, I say save the money and add it to your cash tip.

Doc

We were on the Sunshine in June and never even seen our room steward. Why would I leave them a gift? They are lucky I didn't go and remove tips totally. This is the first cruise with Carnival that we have never seen our room steward.

We were on the Sunshine in June and never even seen our room steward. Why would I leave them a gift? They are lucky I didn't go and remove tips totally. This is the first cruise with Carnival that we have never seen our room steward.

As long as he/she did their job do you need to see them?

I do not understand this urge to bring gifts to employees on ships?? Some people talk about giving out candy as if these people were little children at Halloween!

These are adults who make their living doing honest work and want to get paid and tipped for it!

IF you wouldn't bring a "little gift" to a hotel employee in your home town then don't bring it on the ship either.

It is quite different if you have a relationship with the same people over time but to just bring some random doodad is to me just patronizing!

I agree. I understand wanting to be nice and give them something personal in addition to cash. But if you don't know someone giving them candy or little gift also seems like treating them like children. If I go to Longhorn (or any other restaurant) for dinner, I am not going to give the server a tip and some hershey's kisses. I have done a little serving myself (cocktail and banquet mostly) and I would have preferred cash, a smile and thank you.

I am a big fan of a personalized note (even if its on a piece of paper saying thank you) and some cash. And a mention in the survey.

Now, if you really get to know someone and develop a relationship with them, it may be different.

That is just my personal opinion for what it is worth.

Did they do their job? If so why would you need to see them?

I agree. I understand wanting to be nice and give them something personal in addition to cash. But if you don't know someone giving them candy or little gift also seems like treating them like children. If I go to Longhorn (or any other restaurant) for dinner, I am not going to give the server a tip and some hershey's kisses. I have done a little serving myself (cocktail and banquet mostly) and I would have preferred cash, a smile and thank you.

I am a big fan of a personalized note (even if its on a piece of paper saying thank you) and some cash. And a mention in the survey.

Now, if you really get to know someone and develop a relationship with them, it may be different.

That is just my personal opinion for what it is worth.

If you get to know them and they indicate they could use something not found on the ship that is one thing. Otherwise we all work for money not trinkets.