Gifts for Room Steward

tlsearay

People mention Hershey's kisses a lot. Please. :rolleyes:

Hershey's kisses? Really? That chocolate is horrible! It's got more cheap fillers than cocoa powder, probably corn syrup too. What many people don't know is that Slavic countries make amazing chocolate! I always go to a Polish supermarket to buy their chocolate bars. (Chicago has a large Polish population, so those stores are everywhere there, but I'm sure it's harder in other cities.) Look for labels that are hard to read or in Cyrillic altogether. They're pretty inexpensive: from $0.99 if on sale to $2.99 for higher-end stuff.

Many Carnival crew members are from Eastern Europe, and I'm sure they miss the great chocolate from back home. It's hard to find in the US, other than in ethic supermarkets in major cities, let alone in Caribbean ports. (And I doubt they have the time to go into town to find such a supermarket.) So if you absolutely insist on giving them chocolate, which I still don't recommend, give them one of those bars. At least it'll give them a nostalgic taste of home, and possibly something fun to share with their non-European colleagues.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I'm sorry... I'm guessing that I'm missing the point behind gifting your room steward... A.) that is their job and B.) they get a tip/gratuity from you regardless at the end of the trip. Hubbs and I leave extra $$$ for our steward at departure but SERIOUSLY I don't even gift my mail man.

Peace, Love, Cruising

Not chocolate/sweets' date=' hometown junk, the people are there to earn money to support themselves and their family, just like the rest of you, would you appreciate it if people paid you in "gifts" and email addresses?[/quote']

Nope. As I posted just e-mail addresses. I am there to have a good time and possibly make new friends, even if my new friend is a 'lowly' cruise ship worker. I try to treat everyone equally, you know, like a human being.

I just completed three cruises last month and handed out fun sized candy to the staff throughout all three cruises. Most loved the treat. They smiled, I smiled.

Edited by Love my butler

I just completed three cruises last month and handed out fun sized candy to the staff throughout all three cruises. Most loved the treat. They smiled, I smiled.

Which brings into question a point that has already been asked. Why the candy and how do you know they loved it? Because you all smiled?

It's possible they loved it.

It's also possible they rolled their eyes as soon as their back was to you; then tossed the candy in the trash once in crew quarters.

Aside from my paycheck, the best gift(and quite frankly the only gift) that I want at work is a note to my supervisor.

Things like that lead to more desirable hours, promotions, and raises. The gift that keeps on giving.

I do not want fun-sized candy(possibly left over from Halloween?) as a thank you at work. If I did a good job, thank me by telling my boss.

a 'lowly' cruise ship worker.

I was a "lowly" cruise ship worker for 8 years, trust, me, most have no interest in being patronised with an email address.. do you hand out your email address to everyone you meet? What honestly makes people think that the person who cleaned up after you etc wants to be your " friend"?

And many thanks to the poster who commented on the chocolate, american chocolate is disgusting for most of us! Anytime I was given a "gift" sure I smiled and said thanks like my mammy always taught me, and threw it in the first bin I saw, what use have I for plastic Halloween spiders and other such tat?

I'm sewing a bunny costume for my gift! Really how/where do you leave daily tips. I couldn't figure that out, envelopes or hand it to them?

I take 100 $1's with me for a seven day cruise. If the steward is good/adequate I leave 2 or 3 of the $1's on the bed each morning. If I have to ask for something like a new duvet or an extra robe I'll hand him ten of them, +/-. I use the rest for random dining room tipping, room service tipping, bottles of water in port, for porters, minor cab fare in port, etc. It's really handy to have the $1's.

Someone mentioned "smelly soaps". Remember your room stewards are cleaning up all of your leftover and left-behind bottles and tubes of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, etc at the end of the cruise. I'm sure they have enough of that kind of thing.

I smile when someone gives me a gift, even if it's a useless trinket or awful candy. That's what decent people do. Then we throw it away as soon as the giver is out of sight. The giver feels like they did something good, and I shake my head and wonder why they wasted their money.

1. Cash

2. If getting off in a port ask if they need anything (shampoo, toothbrush, deodorant, hair gel, etc.). When they DO get time off the ship more often than not they are doing a Walgreens/CVS/Target/Walmart run to get consumable toiletries; so offering to pick something up for them is a great help that may get them out of a pinch (they ran out) or save them from shopping with their limited time off.

3. Cash

I am looking for ideas of gifts to give to the room steward when we board or during the cruise. We always give them a cash tip every evening and at the end of the cruise in addition to the automatic tips. I just thought it might be nice to bring something.

Any ideas?

Cash is still the preferred method, or phone cards. They don't have much room for other things in their cabin let alone when the pack to go home.

1. Cash

2. If getting off in a port ask if they need anything (shampoo, toothbrush, deodorant, hair gel, etc.). When they DO get time off the ship more often than not they are doing a Walgreens/CVS/Target/Walmart run to get consumable toiletries; so offering to pick something up for them is a great help that may get them out of a pinch (they ran out) or save them from shopping with their limited time off.

3. Cash

If a supervisor hears that a passengers are running personal errands for crew, that crew will be in a world of hurt. The defense of the guest asked/insisted would just seal the disciplinary action.

1. Cash

3. Cash

Cash, you don't know what kind of shampoo, toothbrush, deodorant, hair gel, etc. they like to use, just cash.

Did you ever have that relative that gave you that cheapo candy with the ill fitting PJ s when you were a kid and your mom made you write the thank you and include your appreciation for the candy too? All you did was toss the candy in the trash and stuff the PJ s on the back of the closet....but your mother would tell you it was the thought that counts and you should be grateful? You would have rather they not bother because it ended up costing you?

Now, do you want to be that relative?

Oh, that smelly stuff someone mentioned? That's called a prank waiting to happen when you hide it in someone's cabin.

:) :) :)

Love it.

I know it is the thought that counts , but yes I have received some real doozy's , Growing up I had the sweetest aunt in the world , but if I ever wore one of the outfits she ever got me , I would be given a wedgie and thrown in the girls room everyday of grammar and high school *LOL*

Grab bag and secret Santa gifts at work could be pretty bad too, before the advent of gift cards . *LOL*

The problem with your statement is that the staff are already getting paid. Candy, phone cards etc. are just extras. I don't see that anyone suggested giving 'candy' in lieu of gratuities.

Gee didn't know my opinion had a problem..thanks for pointing it out.

And I didn't say anyone was giving candy as a gratuity "your welcome in advance for pointing out the problem in your statement" :)

These people are hard working and they do so make a living and provide for their families back home.

The problem with these little gifts is , if they don't like it or can't have it . or it dosn't fit etc etc etc.....they are stuck with it. They can either throw it away or give it to someone else . Not much of a gift for them.

Cash is universal , I don't know anyone who coudln't use a little extra of that.

A good write up about them on the comment cards is great too , because enough of those could lead to a promotion ......a liitle more cash for them.

1. Cash

3. Cash

That's rich. Customers running errands for the help.

hmmm

1 : a canned ham

2 : a well deserved pat on the head

3 : purchase a picture of you getting off the ship at a port , sign it ( include your Email) and leave it for them on the last day

or Cash

*LOL*

I guess its a little custom for co stars in movies to give eachother a little gift when they finish the film on the last day of shooting

One very big star (can't remember who it was now) was famous for giving framed autographed pictures of herself out.

These weren't for adoring fans , but felow actors and actresses who wer just as big or bigger than she was. *LOL*

It's pretty common actually and has happened for years and years. It will continue to happen for years and years.

It's called a nicety. You don't have to offer or participate but it is a small gesture that can go a REALLY long way and has inadvertently resulted in ME receiving perks and benefits I'd have never dreamed of asking for. Take care of the people taking care of you and you will be amazed what they may do for you. I don't to get perks, I do it because I'm a nice person

It sure beats whatever ETSY/Pinterest/home made/Hand written card/Candy/Phone card/email address/Useless worthless junk other people think is a great idea. :rolleyes:

Cash is still king and will always be king.

WOW!:eek: The HELP? It's a common courtesy, that can be offered.

Their time off the ship is LIMITED.

Would it kill you to pop into a CVS and grab something?

What is this world coming to?

If a supervisor hears that a passengers are running personal errands for crew, that crew will be in a world of hurt. The defense of the guest asked/insisted would just seal the disciplinary action.

Actually, no. It is common practice. As long as the GUEST is offering a nicety there is not an issue.

Cash is still the preferred method, or phone cards. They don't have much room for other things in their cabin let alone when the pack to go home.

Oh, good gosh. The phone card is back. Which brand? And if they skype??? Please, let it die.

Although, I do admit that it is a less terrible idea than the exchanging emails !

I too don't understand this, it's very patronizing and problematic to treat people of color in the service industry like little children by giving them treats for a job well done. especially when the gesture is really a way for you to appease your guilt at having someone clean up after you all week. If you want to do something for exemplary service tip them extra or make note if it in your post cruise survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For clarification, are you stating that only people of color are being treated like children or only people of color are working in the service industry? Bringing race or singling out any other potential discriminatory group into this discussion is not necessary. IMO, their age, sex, race, size, political views, religion, etc. does not matter.

Guilt? Really? Giving a gift to show my appreciation for wonderful services appeases guilt over what? That is their job. I give my hair dresser, newspaper delivery person, etc. gifts (almost always cash) all the time and I equate stewards in this same aspect. They all provide a service I could do myself, but choose not to; and therefore, I tip them. When that service is greater than expected, I tip even more. I am not giving the tip to make myself "feel better", but rather to let them know they did a great job and that I appreciate them for it.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that a gift alongside a tip is

perfectly reasonable as long as its useful and perishable/meaningful.

I say this as my assistant at work has cruised in the past and always leaves

chocolates (good european and vegetarian ones may I add) apart from the time she found out her steward's husband was from the same region of India as her. She left one of her bracelets from her home country to comfort the steward instead.

I am a little baffled that people are so quick to just say more cash. Cabin stewards are people too and of course they need the money but after all the monotony of cleaning something a little different is always bound to be appreciated. When I worked as banquet host as a tender 18 year old tips happened all the time. On the odd occasion the family would come back and leave a thankyou card for us with chocolates etc it was a really nice touch.

People are not just cash cows.

Edited by Velvetwater

For clarification, are you stating that only people of color are being treated like children or only people of color are working in the service industry? Bringing race or singling out any other potential discriminatory group into this discussion is not necessary. IMO, their age, sex, race, size, political views, religion, etc. does not matter.

Guilt? Really? Giving a gift to show my appreciation for wonderful services appeases guilt over what? That is their job. I give my hair dresser, newspaper delivery person, etc. gifts (almost always cash) all the time and I equate stewards in this same aspect. They all provide a service I could do myself, but choose not to; and therefore, I tip them. When that service is greater than expected, I tip even more. I am not giving the tip to make myself "feel better", but rather to let them know they did a great job and that I appreciate them for it.

First of all, I have to agree: not all crew members are people of color, as was suggested earlier. Many of them are from Eastern Europe or southern South America, both of which have mostly white populations. So race just doesn't fit into a discussion about gifts to crew members. Perhaps it's better to say "people from Third World countries", and even then it wouldn't be 100% true. For instance, I wouldn't consider Chile to be Third World, after it rescued its 33 miners and treated them with utmost dignity.

Second, while the common perception that cruising is something special, ask yourself this: Would you give a gift to land equivalents of the same service personnel (restaurant waiters, hotel maids, etc.), if you were vacationing at an AI resort, the arch-rival of cruising? Or would it feel odd?

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

For clarification, are you stating that only people of color are being treated like children or only people of color are working in the service industry?

Bringing race or singling out any other potential discriminatory group into this discussion is not necessary. IMO, their age, sex, race, size, political views, religion, etc. does not matter.

We are not going to pretend like the majority of the room stewards are not from East Aisa, the Middle East, South America and Central America. Its not discriminatory, it is literally fact (look up the term POC). Giving them candy and silly little gifts for a job well done is demeaning. They are not children, they are adults with jobs but there are people out there who don't see them as such. I have no issue with tipping then, I have no issue with tipping them extra when they deserve it.

How often do you say people say I feel bad they work so hard they get no time off or time with their family I want to do something to make their lives happier. That is guilt. If you really want to make their lives easier, give them the tip they deserve for the level of service you receive or start fighting for them to be paid a living wage so they wont have to live and die by tips.

I think its great that you tip for all the services you receive. That's an example everyone should follow. Most people don't. People flat out don't tip their waiters, fight to have their services charges removed, get mad when places automatically add gratuity to bills.

*disclaimer: This is all entirely my opinion. If you wish to further exchange views and opinions, please feel free to direct message me. If you dont agree/don't like what I said, that's fine too.