Gifts for Room Steward

tlsearay

We are not going to pretend like the majority of the room stewards are not from East Aisa, the Middle East, South America and Central America. Its not discriminatory, it is literally fact (look up the term POC).

Why not just refer to them all as "cruise ship workers" or "Crew Members" so that everyone is included? I agree that giving them trinkets and gifts is so unnecessary and "cash" is the best thing to give them if you really want to give them something that they truly need. They are working such long hours and hard conditions to earn a living, not collect t-shirts, candy or other "things". Not to insult anyone but when you give them something like that it is more to make "you" feel good rather than the crew member. Just as some like to tip in cash and hand it to them rather than leaving the auto-tips on or pre-pay. It is to make you feel good by handing it to them so they can personally thank you for it rather than just knowing that they received it.

Why not just refer to them all as "cruise ship workers" or "Crew Members" so that everyone is included? I agree that giving them trinkets and gifts is so unnecessary and "cash" is the best thing to give them if you really want to give them something that they truly need. They are working such long hours and hard conditions to earn a living, not collect t-shirts, candy or other "things". Not to insult anyone but when you give them something like that it is more to make "you" feel good rather than the crew member. Just as some like to tip in cash and hand it to them rather than leaving the auto-tips on or pre-pay. It is to make you feel good by handing it to them so they can personally thank you for it rather than just knowing that they received it.

I can dig it ;)

Giving them candy and silly little gifts for a job well done is demeaning.

That is a quite a sweeping statement.

I have known many who disagree with that fact. If theres money accompanying it whats the problem?

I personally think it is more demeaning to think cash means everything and thats the only thing that will keep your cabin steward happy. Throwing money at people like they are machines is just a little off and don't get me started on the bribers.

Money is good....chocs and money is even better right?

JMO.

Edited by Velvetwater

I have known many who disagree with that fact. If theres money accompanying it whats the problem?

I personally think it is more demeaning to think cash means everything and thats the only thing that will keep your cabin steward happy. Throwing money at people like they are machines is just a little off and don't get me started on the bribers.

JMO.

Mmmmmmm Godiva

JMO.

My parents used to try that on me. I'd rather have the money you spent on the chocolate. I can add it to my cruise fund ;)

JMO.

Not if you don't like chocolate , or can't have it.

Then money and money would be even better.

My parents used to try that on me. I'd rather have the money you spent on the chocolate. I can add it to my cruise fund ;)

I was a thoughtful child.

More to life and holidays than money.

Omg I love Godiva chocolate...and Charbonnel.

Edited by Velvetwater

*LOL*

When my daughter turned 16 she wanted a fairly expensive purse as a present . We told her she could have the purse or a Sweet 16 party. She ended up choosing the party. We figured as much because all her friends were having them that year and she would be pissed if her birthday came and she couldn't have one.

Later on she told us . She picked the party because she knew everyone would give her cash as gifts (we have a big family on both sides , and she would get more than enough for the purse plus a little extra AND the party. So win, win , win.

God she is more like her mother everyday.

Of course I divorced her mother , I am stuck with her :) J/K its a good stuck , Shes a good kid

Don't forget to mention them in your post cruise survey as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is huge for them. I do speak to the crew a lot and get to know them and while I have never asked them about buying gifts, it is a HUGE deal for them to be mentioned positively in post-cruise surveys. Since I don't seem to get surveys after sailing on Carnival, I left notes at Guest Services for the department heads mentioning the great jobs a couple of the people did.

I work for money, so I can buy what I want. I don't need "gifts" unless they are monetary! Same with the folks who work the ships.

Your heart is in the right place, but you're wasting your money...give them the cash.

I used to work in a veterinarian's office. I was paid by my employer a decent salary. Sometimes when customers were very grateful for the job we did in caring for their pets, they brought us gifts. Popcorn, cakes, entire lunches, homemade gifts. I never once thought they were being demeaning because they were bringing me gifts. I knew they were doing it in appreciation for the service we provided. We did throw things away that were unnecessary, but more often than not we didn't. I still have a homemade angel I was given on display in my living room. Not everyone who gives extra tips or gifts does it because they feel guilty, some people do truly feel thankful.

I used to work in a veterinarian's office. I was paid by my employer a decent salary. Sometimes when customers were very grateful for the job we did in caring for their pets, they brought us gifts. Popcorn, cakes, entire lunches, homemade gifts. I never once thought they were being demeaning because they were bringing me gifts. I knew they were doing it in appreciation for the service we provided. We did throw things away that were unnecessary, but more often than not we didn't. I still have a homemade angel I was given on display in my living room. Not everyone who gives extra tips or gifts does it because they feel guilty, some people do truly feel thankful.

You were not hired to serve them, clean their houses, nor serve them food. And vets are not even considered a service industry.

There's a big difference between those gifts and a Hershey's miniature, but your clients were also not tipping you. Therein lies the difference.

Edited by irishnyc

I do a number of things

I bring a gift related to the holiday if it is a holiday cruise such as a decorated wreath for Christmas or an Easter basket full if goodies at Easter

Sometimes little trinkets from my home state like a Yankees baseball cap or a key chain with the Statue of Liberty hanging off it

But as I like to tip regularly during the cruise to any crew member I have contact with I just fold numerous $2 dollar bills into intricate origami designs and just hand them out. To the bartenders the servers at breakfast lunch and dinner the pool towel guy the washy washy lady and of course the steward

This practice often allows me to start long conversations with the crew and we show each other pix of our kids and grand kids.

I got all of these ideas from cruise critic too so I know I am not the only one who does this and I never would have done any of these things had I not gotten the ideas here

And I forgot that when we cruise during February I usually pack several 1 or 2 pound boxes of heart boxed chocolates to give out

They are all quite grateful for theses gifts and tips

You were not hired to serve them, clean their houses, nor serve them food. And vets are not even considered a service industry.

Oh sorry, I just cleaned up their dog's poop, puke, pee, hair, blood, etc. So much better. :rolleyes: Don't know how it's not a service industry, we provided a service, not a product.

Edited by kristy29

I do a number of things

I bring a gift related to the holiday if it is a holiday cruise such as a decorated wreath for Christmas or an Easter basket full if goodies at Easter

Sometimes little trinkets from my home state like a Yankees baseball cap or a key chain with the Statue of Liberty hanging off it

But as I like to tip regularly during the cruise to any crew member I have contact with I just fold numerous $2 dollar bills into intricate origami designs and just hand them out. To the bartenders the servers at breakfast lunch and dinner the pool towel guy the washy washy lady and of course the steward

This practice often allows me to start long conversations with the crew and we show each other pix of our kids and grand kids.

I got all of these ideas from cruise critic too so I know I am not the only one who does this and I never would have done any of these things had I not gotten the ideas here

And I forgot that when we cruise during February I usually pack several 1 or 2 pound boxes of heart boxed chocolates to give out

If you read the 87 posts that came between the first one and yours you would understand why everyone subscribed to this thread is LOL'ing reading your post.

but you're caring for an owner's beloved pet. I'm in no way trashing stewards but I don't understand the worship people have for them either.

I do a number of things

You forgot the gold dollars, those are unique.:D

To the OP - I usually leave a box of Girl Scout Cookies and extra cash and a card that says "Thanks A Mint". If others don't like the idea that is your choice.

Yes, they can throw them away, or give them away or share them that is their choice, just as it was my choice it give them.

I am a former AMERICAN cruise ship employee who LOVED every gift she ever received and remembers a lot, if not most of the people/couples who went out of their way to give them to me.

For instance, my Birthday was yesterday and I thought of this lovely couple from Australia who (18 years ago) took the time to find out what my favorite wine was in conversation (yes! a lowly crew member, one who might not be so special, as the above poster pointed out, loves good wine), then they bought a bottle at their dinner table that night and SOMEHOW (I am sure thanks to one of my fellow crew) it found its way into my bunk with a nice note that they attached. Total contraband, but SO thoughtful! And I invited my boss to share it! What happens in crew quarters isn't what happens on the floor. We worked together, lived together, ate together, slept within inches of each other, partied together, cried together, dated each other and cared for each other. We were respectful of the position when it came to the job, but in the end we were family and friends and it is MUCH different downstairs than up! It is a fine line!

OH! And BTW! I still have every pin some Masonic group may have given me. And many of the notes and thank yous that made things a little more human on board.

Look....the OP was trying to think sweetly with their post. Yes...money means A LOT! But so does a little human touch. No one ever left me one without the other. They aren't servants. They are people working hard, a LONG way from their families. You never know when you might be that one they remember 18 years later just because you did one little extra thing that made them feel cared for.

Dawn

Thank you for your post Dawn. It's not always about the gift but about the intent of the gift. Here in the South a small gift may be given to anyone to show that you spent a little time thinking of them and wanting to show appreciation not because they are serving you but because they chose the job they are doing and you are grateful for them. Extra money is just icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Imagine all the gifts a steward would get. Then think about how much room he has to live in. Cash stores easy. If he wants candy he can buy it if he has cash. Oh and if its something else he wants to buy. Guess what cash again.

Maybe he needs a drink after a long day. What im trying to say is that with money he can buy what he wants and not some trinket you thought would be nice that he has to store it untill he gets off the boat.

P.S And when i say he i actually mean he or she.