Cruising Europe - What if anything do you read about before you travel?

Macbeth09

I love I, Claudius -- forgot about that one. Very entertaining and quite accurate info.

Re: the Masters of Rome -- it's obvious McCullough was more invested in Marius and Sulla than in later characters. Either that, or because there are so many more historical sources of information (some of it conflicting) on Caesar, it was harder for her to "draw" a living, breathing character out of it...

I've never cared for how histories have glorified Caesar and Augustus. So much perfection just induces nausea. I know history is written by the winners, but still... even winners have flaws. I should probably note that I only made it through about 75% of Fortune's Favorites before I just had to move on. I wanted to finish it; I hate not finishing books but...

Is the sequel to I, Claudius worth the read? I'm not far into the book, but definitely enjoying it. On a similar note, someone who was inspired by the 70s TV series - that I didn't know about until now - has a book up on Amazon for pre-order titled I Am Livia that intrigues me. Can't recommend it, technically, but it does sound interesting.

I've never cared for how histories have glorified Caesar and Augustus. So much perfection just induces nausea. I know history is written by the winners, but still... even winners have flaws. I should probably note that I only made it through about 75% of Fortune's Favorites before I just had to move on. I wanted to finish it; I hate not finishing books but...

Is the sequel to I, Claudius worth the read? I'm not far into the book, but definitely enjoying it. On a similar note, someone who was inspired by the 70s TV series - that I didn't know about until now - has a book up on Amazon for pre-order titled I Am Livia that intrigues me. Can't recommend it, technically, but it does sound interesting.

Yes, if you like I, Claudius, the sequel reads like a Part 2.

Caesar had his faults and was a complex personality (pretty well detailed); he clearly had to face some worthwhile opposition to climb the "cursus honorum", so I do find him interesting. The man also showed real genius in some areas.

Augustus, on the other hand, always strikes me as a competent administrator but primarily a bit of a prig. Not very interesting.

(I can slog through books most would find as boring as watching paint dry. :o. Currently reading a nice summary of the evidence for and against an actual, historical Trojan war....)

Have not read this one yet, will goto Amazon right now toorder it. Thanks

I have barely started the new Donna Leon book, although cruise ship problems were mentioned for a few paragraphs, I doubt they will be a part of the story.

Another addition to all of the above:

I have subscriptions to CN Traveler, Nat Geo Traveler, Islands, Travel and Leisure, Food and Wine. I love to read about travel in general. I archive my copies. When I'm coming up with a trip, I will go back and find editions that have articles about the areas I'm going to visit. I get plenty of quick ideas on things to do/see/eat from those.

I am also a follower of Chowhound for places to eat. Even if I'm in a port for just a day, I can find recommendations for places to lunch.