Beverage plan $40 vs $55 plan

Do many people go for the $40 beer and wine package or do most people go the the $55 and $65 options?

I have no problem drinking beer, Smirnoff ice, and wine, although the mixed drinks may be nice too. ( didn't really like the mixed drinks on carnival-- they were missing the fizz of soda)

I'd like more definitive information about the wines being included if possible please.

Also more information about the alcohol free drinks the kids can get...

I like blush wines, merlot, and most any white.

Hubby will probably go for the $40 beer/ wine plan, I am undecided where I will be.

We will get the $20 plan for the teens, who will like fancy coffees and drinks that look grown up...

All in all, a very expensive endeavour, important to get it right. Any advice?

Regarding wine selection, take a look at these menus provided by Gambee:

http://cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

The wines are towards the end of the list.

The $40 per day package includes wines by the glass up to $8. The $55 per day package includes wines by the glass up to $12.

Edited by clarea

Since the packages were released I've always done the $55 package, however on my cruise last month I did the $40 Beer/Wine package.

For me I find the $40 package a better value because I drink a lot of beer poolside and at the pub. I also get my cocktails in the diamond lounge each evening.

So pro's for the $55 package now: bottled water (not included in $40 package) wine is up to $12 per glass, but here is the cool thing! If you see a wine you like for $13 you just pay the $1 difference!

I have found almost everyone gets the $55 package, but I'd suggest getting what works best for you.

Going forward I will continue to get the $40 package.

I've heard different thinks on the premium coffee that is included. According to a RCL rep I spoke with, Starbucks is not included, nor are speciality coffee drinks like lattes.

The Starbucks venues on Oasis and Allure are not included in the package. However latte, expresso, and cappucino are included at other venues.

Is that true? Starbucks not included? I have never gotten a definitive answer anywhere.

My cruise will be to Caribbean in May. Can't imagine I'll be drinking to many cappuccinos.

Maybe the soda package is the way to go for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that true? Starbucks not included? I have never gotten a definitive answer anywhere.

My cruise will be to Caribbean in May. Can't imagine I'll be drinking to many cappuccinos.

Maybe the soda package is the way to go for me

Yes, the Starbuck's venues on Oasis and Allure are not included in any packages. However, there is another venue (Cafe Promenade or Latte-Tudes) plus the restaurants that do serve specialty coffee included in the Replenish and Ultimate packages. Depending on the ship, Cafe Promenade or Latte-Tudes may serve Starbuck's brand coffee.

Edited by clarea

Hi all,

This is a really interesting thread, my DH only drinks wine, beer or soft drinks, so the $40 package is perfect for him.

We will be sailing out of Southampton on Indy in Sept, can anyone confirm please is the limit on wine $8 or $12 per glass?

There seems to be conflicting info. I *think* I remember reading *somewhere* that the $ per glass increases from $8 to $12 for European sailings, but I now cannt find that info :confused:

Thanks everyone ;)

Hi all,

This is a really interesting thread, my DH only drinks wine, beer or soft drinks, so the $40 package is perfect for him.

We will be sailing out of Southampton on Indy in Sept, can anyone confirm please is the limit on wine $8 or $12 per glass?

There seems to be conflicting info. I *think* I remember reading *somewhere* that the $ per glass increases from $8 to $12 for European sailings, but I now cannt find that info :confused:

Thanks everyone ;)

The wine limit is $8 per glass with the Select ($40 per day) and $12 per glass with the Premium ($55 per day) package. The wine limits may look like they increase for certain sailings, but that is only because the wine prices in the menus have the the 15% gratuity built in, so nothing has changed with regard to which wines fall under the package limits.

Edited by clarea

We are sailing in October and purchasing drink packages... We have decided DH will get the $40 package because he is definitely a beer man and does also like a decent (but doesn't have to be expensive or premium) glass of wine with dinner. He likes top shelf scotch... I don't think that JW Blue will be included in any package at ~$35 a glass, so he will get the beer/wine package and pay for his evening scotch when/if he wants it.

For me... the $20 package with specialty coffees, soda, bottled water and virgin frozen drinks. I LOVE my latte in the morning and my cappuccino after dinner - and don't forget my frozen drink by the pool. I don't drink much alcohol, definitely not enough to make the jump from $20 to $55 per day to include everything that I MAY want to drink. So if I do decide on a drink or two, I will just pay for what I want.

The thing about the coffees... At this point, I believe that Oasis class ships are the only ones that have a Starbuck's coffee shop - coffees at the Starbuck's shop are NOT included. However, the Cafe Lattitudes or Cafe Promenade, as well as the MDR use Starbuck's brand to make their specialty coffees and teas - these ARE included.

We sailed on the Grandeur in Feb and both my husband and I purchased the $55.00 package for the wine. I should have gone with the $40.00 package as the wine selection was VERY limited and I wound up drinking the lesser expensive ones. My suggestion is, if wine is your beverage of choice, wait to purchase the package once on board so you can view the wine selection by the glass.

I've heard different thinks on the premium coffee that is included. According to a RCL rep I spoke with, Starbucks is not included, nor are speciality coffee drinks like lattes.

One wonders what the rep thinks a "specialty coffee" IS.

Yes, the Starbuck's venues on Oasis and Allure are not included in any packages. However, there is another venue (Cafe Promenade or Latte-Tudes) plus the restaurants that do serve specialty coffee included in the Replenish and Ultimate packages. Depending on the ship, Cafe Promenade or Latte-Tudes may serve Starbuck's brand coffee.

Yep.

So...if you were on Oasis and had one of the packages with specialty coffees, one couldn't go to The Starbucks onboard and get a latte. But one could go to the *other* espresso kiosk, whatever it's called on Oasis, and get that latte.

Heck, we got frappuccinos from the espresso bar at Cafe Promenade on Freedom, totally included in our Replenish packages. And mochas and lattes and iced versions...

Dh and I are getting the $55 package and we are getting the $20 package for the kids. Was thinking about the $65 one because I'm a serious coffee snob and know I won't be able to choke down the regular coffee on board. I despise Starbucks, but I have found that I really like the instant Via packages. I'm bringing a ton of those on board with me. We also will have access to the CL because we are in a suite. I hear there's a self serve premium coffee machine in there, but those things typically produce crap coffee.

We both like mixed cocktails and you really only have to have 5 of those a day to pay for the $55 package, that' not much over the course of the day. Love me a bloody mary in the morning :D

I have 2 teens going and I hear they do "mock"tails in the teen lounge. I want them to be able to partake as they wish.

Hubby was also thinking about just going with the $20 plan for sodas and water. Etc. then he said also, he'd be better off buying a few drinks... But after the cost of the $20 plan, having 3-4 beer a day would be the extra $20 for the $40 plan....

Would love royal caribbean to be forthcoming about the wine offerings on each ships, etc...

We are at least having the $40 plans, would love to convince him I need the $55 plan!