Rollator brands and models

sherilyn70

I'm considering finally purchasing a rollator I addition to using my scooter. What brand or model do you have our prefer? I want it mainly for light walking outdoors (like from dock to excursion bus or taxi) when the short may be more difficult to take with us. Tender ports and whale watching type activities. I do need a seat since I cannot walk far without getting exhausted.

I was looking at the Nova Zoom 4218 or 4220. I'm 5'7 and 165 pounds.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm considering finally purchasing a rollator I addition to using my scooter. What brand or model do you have our prefer? I want it mainly for light walking outdoors (like from dock to excursion bus or taxi) when the short may be more difficult to take with us. Tender ports and whale watching type activities. I do need a seat since I cannot walk far without getting exhausted.

Disclaimer : When deciding to purchase any type of mobility equipment it's always best to speak to a PT first as they can better assess your needs and evaluate what type of equipment best meets your physical needs.

Personally I do not like the design of the Nova zoom or any other brand with the similar design . Reason being that the seat gets in the way of the user resulting in the user walking somewhat bent over in order to avoid hitting the knees/legs on the edge of the seat. I prefer the design of the Drive rollator shown in this link http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product-images.aspx?product_id=2521 or the Invacare shown in this link http://www.1800wheelchair.com/product/3057/invacare-rollite-walker The design is of a basic walker and the seat folds up allowing the person to walk fully upright. It also folds ore compactly than the Nova Zoom or others similar. For the record this is the walker own this Invacare Model as it has larger wheels http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product.asp?product_id=3329 and have been extremely happy with it.

Photos shown are for reference only and not to be considered an endorsement for the 1800wheelchair.com

Edited by xxoocruiser

My Dh bought his online from Costco. Our daughter is a PT and she told him that they have the best rollators at the best price. BTW.. how do you do your signature? I love it!!!

Yoletta

I'm on my second heavy-duty rollator (wore the tires out on the first in its seventh year). Two months ago got an Invacare Roll-lite walker (after knee replacement) because, as mentioned earlier, it folds nicely for storing under bus or in cab. Expect to take the Roll-lite on my fall cruise to Canada-NE, precisely because of the ease of storing it. BTW, paid extra for the hand-brakes (not covered by Medicare) because I'm used to handbrakes on my "regular" rollator. Roll-lite seat is hard plastic, but folds up nicely out of the way. Walker itself folds like the usual aluminum ones do. Folded, it's only about 6" wide (thick).

@@GotThatCruisinFeeling - I've been looking at the walker for myself (am sliding into a hip replacement sometime in the next few years) for my next cruise and wanted something 1. That would fold and travel easily and 2. Would have a seat. My Dad had a big Hugo with 8 in wheels, and the thing is just huge (but comfortable...)! I was wondering if you find the 5 in. wheels are good enough for outdoor use? Thanks!

For use outdoors and particularly going over none paved , grassy or gravel areas wheels less than 8" usually don't do well. If fact anything less could result if the wheels breaking or being totally useless. Thus one of the many reasons I bought this Invacare model particularly for traveling http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/vi...roduct_id=3329 as stated in my prior post.

For use outdoors and particularly going over none paved , grassy or gravel areas wheels less than 8" usually don't do well. If fact anything less could result if the wheels breaking or being totally useless. Thus one of the many reasons I bought this Invacare model particularly for traveling http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/vi...roduct_id=3329 as stated in my prior post.

Thanks for the information. I've seen people using the 5 inch wheels outside, and some of those 8 inch wheels look huge, but outside is mainly where I'd use it. Oddly, there's not much discussion out there about wheel types. I've been looking at something similar to what you have but made by Drive. I guess I'll go with the 8 inch!

Thanks for the information. I've seen people using the 5 inch wheels outside, and some of those 8 inch wheels look huge, but outside is mainly where I'd use it. Oddly, there's not much discussion out there about wheel types. I've been looking at something similar to what you have but made by Drive. I guess I'll go with the 8 inch!

If you have the opportunity to actually see and try the one from Drive I would suggest doing so. Depending on where you plan to use it the 5" wheels might just work for you. What ever you decide it would be best to select one that the front wheels oscillate for easier movement.

I have been using a rollator to walk distances outside for the last six years. I have toured Europe on cruises on the Silhouette and the Solstice for the last 3 years, covering Spain, France, Italy and Croatia. Have also done quite a few land days in Paris, Rome, Madrid and Venice. We are headed for 9 days in London followed by a 14 day Baltic on the Eclipse next month. This is the first time I will have a scooter on the ship.

I have a Rollator with a seat. It looks a little like the Invacare 1800. It is pretty light,but it holds me at 275. Using it on the cobblestones in Rome and Venice gave my arms quite a workout. Moving at any speed was like using a jackhammer. Didn't have to use the gym for my upper arms during these cruises. My husband was able to carry it up and down over the bridges in Venice with ease, and he is not a very well man.

The main thing about using the rollator is that you have to be sure it is high enough for you and that you are not hunched over using it. I use it for a bad knee that I suffered in a fall, and a knee replacement is not possible. My pulmonologist thinks walkers are a " Godsend" for people with breathing problems if they are properly adjusted to your height. The rollator allows you to expand your lungs fully as you can while you are walking, increasing aerobic exercise and benefitting your overall health. Who knew that they were so good for your lungs.

@@GotThatCruisinFeeling - I've been looking at the walker for myself (am sliding into a hip replacement sometime in the next few years) for my next cruise and wanted something 1. That would fold and travel easily and 2. Would have a seat. My Dad had a big Hugo with 8 in wheels, and the thing is just huge (but comfortable...)! I was wondering if you find the 5 in. wheels are good enough for outdoor use? Thanks!

That's a tough question, since mine has 5" wheels, and I've mainly used it indoors or on pavement. There is a model with 8" wheels, but either I wasn't tall enough or heavy enough (need to be over 300 lbs, which I no longer am) for Medicare to pay for that one. Mine does have oscillating front wheels, as well as the handbrakes.

Looked at the one some other poster has (which folds nicely), but it doesn't look sturdy enough for my weight. (Also, I need sturdy arms to use when arising from the seat.)

I use a Healthsmart Rollator, available from Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/HealthSmart-Aluminum-Lightweight-Rollator-Titanium/dp/B00742JUUI

I have also received a lot of comments and questions about it because it's not at all clunky like all the rest that seem to be out there.

Orlando Vic, I followed your link to Amazon. One of the sellers is offering this model for just under $27, shipping is nearly that much on top. My daughter is ordering it right now. When going about with friends she has trouble getting her Rollator into their cars. This one should be just what is needed. Thanks for posting!

Orlando Vic, I followed your link to Amazon. One of the sellers is offering this model for just under $27, shipping is nearly that much on top. My daughter is ordering it right now. When going about with friends she has trouble getting her Rollator into their cars. This one should be just what is needed. Thanks for posting!

Unbelievable. $27 is a steal. Take it!

It fits very easily into the trunk of your car or even the back seat.

Unbelievable. $27 is a steal. Take it!

It fits very easily into the trunk of your car or even the back seat.

Vic, I had to let you know that my daughter got an email back from Amazon cancelling her order for the inexpensive Rollator. Apparently the seller made a huge pricing mistake. Go figure! So she had to order from a different seller, turned out to be shipped directly from Amazon which she prefers anyway. Now anxiously waiting to see this little gem. :)

Fitting it into our car and our friends' cars when she goes out with them is a big issue.

Thanks again for the tip!