Divina's Specialty Restaurant Packages

cruiseguyinorl

I'm pretty sure most of you knew that you could pre-book specialty restaurants but I wasn't aware of this package until today:

MSC DIVINA SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE

THE BEST FOOD EXPERIENCE AT SEA AT A VALUE PRICE. The package includes FIVE unique experiences: one lunch or dinner in Eataly's Restaurant + one dinner in the elegant Ristorante Italia + one dinner in our sensory fusion Galaxy Restaurant + a package bonus of one experience in American Sports Bar + one pizza at our Pizzeria Italia. Eataly Restaurant experience includes one starter or pasta dish of your choice, 1 main course (T-Bone steak is excluded) and one Eataly's dessert. Ristorante Italia experience includes one signature table d'hote menu. The Galaxy restaurant experience includes our exlusive sample menu with seven dishes and seven wines!. The American Sports Bar experience includes our famous Sample Platter. The Pizzeria Eataly experience includes any pizza of your choice from our pizza menu (one meter of pizza is excluded). Our Maitre d'Hotel will assist you with planning and reservation of your prepaid experiences.

Cost for this is $214 for two. To me, doesn't seem like a bad deal. Just throwing that out there FYI.

Bret

So.... I have an upcoming cruise on MSC Divina in August. When online today to check on this specialty dining package.... Can't find it. Perhaps the special is no longer available.

So.... I have an upcoming cruise on MSC Divina in August. When online today to check on this specialty dining package.... Can't find it. Perhaps the special is no longer available.

Not sure why it is not showing for you. You may have to call them (or your TA if you used one) and ask for Special Service Code 780W14. I don't see it listed either but I didn't find it on the regular Specialty Dining Packages page previously.

Hope this helps.

Bret

The place just has no atmosphere along with plastic chairs.

The atmosphere surely is not what we expect when we think steakhouse or alternative dining. That being said, MSC did not have much latitude in the decor. Once they signed an agreement with Eataly, whose restaurants in Chicago and New York are similar in appearance, their hands were somewhat tied on creative control.

I think the old adage "don't judge a book by its cover" applies here. Does a $25 steak really taste better just because of linen tablecloths, comfy seats and white glove service? Me thinks not. But to each their own.

Bret

I have eaten at the restaurant four different times. It is true that the chairs are plastic. But the staff is great. And the food is fantastic as well. It is unfortunate that the décor is what it is. I think that puts off a lot of people from eating there.

If you are on Divina, give it try. I don't think you will be disappointed with the food or service.

The place just has no atmosphere along with plastic chairs.

Just for reference, the 'plastic chairs' are designed by Philippe Starck for Kartell, the red tops $760 each the round top 'crystal ghosts' $450. The latter are considered a design classic. We have some at our office and they are surprisingly comfy.

Don't think for one second they are cheap rubbish. Chintzy floral wooden chairs would have been much cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just for reference, the 'plastic chairs' are designed by Philippe Starck for Kartell, the red tops $760 each the round top 'crystal ghosts' $450. The latter are considered a design classic. We have some at our office and they are surprisingly comfy.

Don't think for one second they are cheap rubbish. Chintzy floral wooden chairs would have been much cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And they're actually very comfy. I loved Eataly on the Preziosa and will definitely be dining there on the Divina.

And they're actually very comfy. I loved Eataly on the Preziosa and will definitely be dining there on the Divina.

Please let us know your findings aboard Divina. Just back from our second cruise on Divina, and Eataly would not be our recommendation. It looks like a fast food restaurant, all public circulation and fluorescent lighting. Better is Galaxy, but that is impacted by public circulation to the F1 simulator, and the overly loud disco. Both were almost empty on two holiday cruises, Christmas and Easter. Even if we could pay extra to dine in Le Muse(Yacht Club), that seating, while potentially the best aboard, looks over the public Garden Pool, once adults only, now filled with kids, some in diapers, even at the dinner hour. Divina is a work in progress, but dining ambiance is its weaker point. The MDRs have the worst floor planning we have seen on six ships, all seating impacted by poorly placed serving stations, in view and earshot of every table. Add to that poorly designed high back booths which block the fantail vistas (Villa Rossa), and you are left with much to desire. Nonetheless, we would sail Divina again, if the price remains attractive.

I've been back a week from my Divina cruise.

Those plastic chairs in Restaurante Italia are surprisingly comfortable (I have some neurological problems, and was worried about them). They did bring my husband another chair without him asking. The service was top notch.

To be honest, I was afraid of a meal with two seafood courses (not a big fan), but it was incredible. Smoked salmon starter, lasagna napoleon pasta course, fish in light batter main course (prawns, calamari, trout, and julienned vegetables in a very light batter, not quite tempura, and a chocolate mousse cake for dessert.

We would absolutely book it again, the maitre d' was very engaging, the two waiters pleasant and attentive. Considering how little we spent elsewhere on the ship (not gamblers, drink package was pre-paid before we departed), we were of the mind that $34 per person was a good deal.

As we were on a chartered cruise, one of our activities ended nightly after all the food options were gone-and eating pringles out of the minibar was not appealing at all. I went to the Sports Bar and ordered that Sampler Platter just before 11pm.

They didn't want to let me bring it to the other venue (La Luna lounge), but finally agreed. It was perfect bar food, and those wings rivaled a place near me (not Buffalo style, but a really good cornmeal batter on them). Definitely meant to be shared, which I did. The daytime bartender in there is an absolute doll, too.

Only went through the Galaxy during a time it was closed and there was substantial foot traffic back to the F1 simulator, so I'm not sure I got the impression they are hoping for that place.

Did not have the pizza, but others on our cruise told us they lived on it and now miss it.

And the gelato that everyone raves about? Absolutely worthy of the praise it gets.

Edited by WhiteWineInTheSun

Just for reference, the 'plastic chairs' are designed by Philippe Starck for Kartell, the red tops $760 each the round top 'crystal ghosts' $450. The latter are considered a design classic.

I really wish MSC would spread the word about the high end European design of Eataly. It drives me nuts when I hear about "those cheap plastic chairs". Anyone can Google Louis Ghost Chair (in Ristorante Italia) or Kartell Hi Cut Chair (the main Eataly area) to read more about them.

Thanks for sharing!

Bret

I really wish MSC would spread the word about the high end European design of Eataly. It drives me nuts when I hear about "those cheap plastic chairs". Anyone can Google Louis Ghost Chair (in Ristorante Italia) or Kartell Hi Cut Chair (the main Eataly area) to read more about them.

Thanks for sharing!

Bret

It would be a waste of breath.

I think the old adage "don't judge a book by its cover" applies here. Does a $25 steak really taste better just because of linen tablecloths, comfy seats and white glove service? Me thinks not. But to each their own.

Bret

But the steak is excluded from this special package deal, correct?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...
I'm pretty sure most of you knew that you could pre-book specialty restaurants but I wasn't aware of this package until today:

THE BEST FOOD EXPERIENCE AT SEA AT A VALUE PRICE. The package includes FIVE unique experiences: one lunch or dinner in Eataly's Restaurant + one dinner in the elegant Ristorante Italia + one dinner in our sensory fusion Galaxy Restaurant + a package bonus of one experience in American Sports Bar + one pizza at our Pizzeria Italia. Eataly Restaurant experience includes one starter or pasta dish of your choice, 1 main course (T-Bone steak is excluded) and one Eataly's dessert. Ristorante Italia experience includes one signature table d'hote menu. The Galaxy restaurant experience includes our exlusive sample menu with seven dishes and seven wines!. The American Sports Bar experience includes our famous Sample Platter. The Pizzeria Eataly experience includes any pizza of your choice from our pizza menu (one meter of pizza is excluded). Our Maitre d'Hotel will assist you with planning and reservation of your prepaid experiences.

Cost for this is $214 for two. To me, doesn't seem like a bad deal. Just throwing that out there FYI.

Bret

I found this same offer on MSC website and decided to call. Agent did not see it, put me on hold to ask supervisor, came back and said they do not see it on their side. I decided to try it anyway and put in all my info, name, reservation #, credit card info and #780 which is the code for this offer. Hit the button and got an error message.

If you go through the regular routine of putting in your reservation # and being identified in the system the packages that are available for your cruise pop up. There are individual packages for each restaurant, but not this one.

While on this subject has anyone used the individual dining package and be willing to let me know if its worth doing or would you suggest just booking the restaurant and going ala carte?

Bret

Hi was reading your post about the Specialty Dining Package for $214 for two people...My question is i am sailing the Divina Oct. 4, sailing by myself...if i were to take advantage of this package....would they still charge me the $214 as i will be by myself...and this price that you quoted was for two people...

Would appreciate it if you can get back to me with any helpful information..

Thanx,

Cathy

Bret

Hi i am going on MSC Divina next week, and i was reading your post about the specialty restaurants....I am travelling alone, and if i wanted to take advantage of this....would the cost for me still be $214 one person, or would it be $107? Sounds to me like a pretty good deal, and this is the first time i am hearing about this....can this be purchased onboard, or i would have to do this in advance?

Cathy