Newark Airport & Cape Liberty Advisories – 2014

138east

Four reconstruction events will affect Newark Airport and transportation routes to Cape Liberty in 2014 and beyond.

The two events with major effects are scheduled to start in April and May. The exact effects of these events are not yet known.

If you're sailing from Cape Liberty or flying to Newark Airport, you should check back for updates as more info becomes available.

Newark Airport - Major

Starting May 1, 2014, the Airtrain at Newark Airport is scheduled to be closed for 75 days (approximately July 15). This will affect:

1) Transportation between terminals

2) Newark Airport train station will be closed and trains will not stop there

3) Hotel and car rental shuttle pickup points will change

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2023788

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/04/newark_airport_monorail_to_close_for_repairs_starting_may_1.html

Cape Liberty - Major

Starting April, 12, 2014, the Pulaski Skyway (Routes 1 & 9 Eastbound to NYC- Holland Tunnel) will be closed for two years. Traffic patterns will change drastically and are expected to affect traffic on the NJ Turnpike Extension (I78), which is a major access route to Cape Liberty from Exit 14A.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2020367

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/pulaski_skyway_shutdown_famed_bridge_to_be_closed_toward_nyc_for_2_years_starting_april_12.html

Weekend Path Closure – World Trade Center Service - Minor

Weekend Path service between Exchange Place and World Trade Center will be suspended for the rest of 2014 and possibly into 2015. This does not affect Cape Liberty directly. However, folks planning to stay in the Newark area precruise and take Path to the World Trade Center on a Saturday or Sunday will be affected.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/path-forward.html

Bayonne Bridge Reconstruction - Minor

There is a major reconstruction project on the Bayonne Bridge. Currently, the closures are midnight to 8 am, but the bridge is scheduled to be closed 8 weekends in 2014. The dates of these weekends has not yet been published.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/12/port_authority_announces_eight.html

How will this affect those traveling up from the south on the New Jersey Turnpike to Cape Liberty ?

I would also be curious as we live in south Jersey. Many boardings are on weekends which adds to the misery, according to the bridge closing then. I will just focus on Baltimore cruises, even though I live right off the Jersey turnpike. Last November we went to Bayonne and waited in a long traffic line for over an hour just to cross the bridge.

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Coming from the south you have the option of getting off the NJ Turnpike at Exit 10 and taking the Outerbridge Crossing Bridge to Staten Island and following route 440 to Cape Liberty across the Bayonne Bridge. This costs about $7 more which is the difference between the $13 bridge toll less about $6 saved in NJ Turnpike tolls. For your return trip, you should be able to just get on the NJ Turnpike at exit 14A because the westbound route is not affected by the closure at this time.

Greatam's Directions

95 North to Exit 10 (Outer Bridge Crossing) to Rt 440 East (it actually runs NE). When 440 gets close to 278, it runs parallel with 278 East for just a short distance (Exit 5 to Exit 8). Exit 8 is the continuation of 440 NORTH over the Bayonne Bridge. Going NORTH on 440 allows you to make a RIGHT turn into the port on Port Terminal Blvd and keeps you away from the MASS of traffic coming off Exit 14A which can be a very long line.

Hi All. I've been reading thru some of the threads and you all are a wealth of information! Can anyone give me the best advice regarding driving from Pittsburgh (South Hills) to the Port on May 18 (sunday)? :confused: I know it is about a 6 1/2 hour drive. I realize we could take the turnpike with tolls or travel I-80 to avoid some of the tolls. I am trying to decide if it is at all feasible to leave home around 6:00 a.m. day of cruise and arrive with a couple hours ahead of ship departure..AND not being frazzled by road construction/congestion/ etc. :eek: We would be paying for parking at the port.

The other option, of course is to drive the day before and stay at a hotel that offers free parking and get a taxi or shuttle to the Port. Since we don't plan on using the hotel for any additional sightseeing, just free parking and convenience. (We don't need to stay over night with easy access to get into NYC.) Since we have never been in Bayonne or EWR area, we just want a safe location to stay in, IF we would have to travel the day before. Thank you for any advice. :-):)

on a Sunday there should be limited traffic. I would take 80 to 280-near morristown nj-to the New Jersey turnpike south(toll ) to exit 14 and take the turnpike extension to exit 14 A- the toll is under a dollar. Follow the signs for Route 440 South. Proceed 1 1/2 miles and make a left into the Bayonne Ocean Terminal. The cruise terminal is two miles straight ahead. once you hit the 80,280 split its about 35 minutes to the cruise terminal.

Hi All. I've been reading thru some of the threads and you all are a wealth of information! Can anyone give me the best advice regarding driving from Pittsburgh (South Hills) to the Port on May 18 (sunday)? :confused: I know it is about a 6 1/2 hour drive. I realize we could take the turnpike with tolls or travel I-80 to avoid some of the tolls. I am trying to decide if it is at all feasible to leave home around 6:00 a.m. day of cruise and arrive with a couple hours ahead of ship departure..AND not being frazzled by road construction/congestion/ etc. :eek: We would be paying for parking at the port.

The other option, of course is to drive the day before and stay at a hotel that offers free parking and get a taxi or shuttle to the Port. Since we don't plan on using the hotel for any additional sightseeing, just free parking and convenience. (We don't need to stay over night with easy access to get into NYC.) Since we have never been in Bayonne or EWR area, we just want a safe location to stay in, IF we would have to travel the day before. Thank you for any advice. :-):)

We will be coming in the same way as you as we live near Pittsburgh. Our cruise isn't till June though. We booked the Ramada Plaza thru Trinity Reservations as they have the free parking and free shuttle to and from the port (4 people $208). I don't know how much trouble it will be to get to the hotel with all the construction. It is on Frontage Road.

If you are leaving the day of the cruise you definitely want to leave home no later than 6 a.m. You can usually start boarding the ship by 11:30 a.m. and have lunch.

We will be coming in the same way as you as we live near Pittsburgh. Our cruise isn't till June though. We booked the Ramada Plaza thru Trinity Reservations as they have the free parking and free shuttle to and from the port (4 people $208). I don't know how much trouble it will be to get to the hotel with all the construction. It is on Frontage Road.

If you are leaving the day of the cruise you definitely want to leave home no later than 6 a.m. You can usually start boarding the ship by 11:30 a.m. and have lunch.

You need to print out the written directions to the hotel and follow them exactly. Do not rely on your GPS. If you get off the turnpike at exit 14, you must take take I78 LOCAL. I believe Frontage Road is the second exit.

You need to print out the written directions to the hotel and follow them exactly. Do not rely on your GPS. If you get off the turnpike at exit 14, you must take take I78 LOCAL. I believe Frontage Road is the second exit.

Thank You, I know the GPS got us lost getting to the port last year. We were going around in circles. Will this construction not affect the drive to the hotel?

The construction should not affect getting to the hotel. The Ramada is very close to Exit 14, but you really have to pay attention when you get off at Exit 14. You need to be on the right of the toll booth so it is easy to get onto I78 West LOCAL. You get off at Frontage Road which I believe is the 2nd exit. At the end of the ramp you should be able to see the Doubletree if not the Ramada. You make a left and the Ramada will be on the right after the Doubletree.

The construction should not affect getting to the hotel. The Ramada is very close to Exit 14, but you really have to pay attention when you get off at Exit 14. You need to be on the right of the toll booth so it is easy to get onto I78 West LOCAL. You get off at Frontage Road which I believe is the 2nd exit. At the end of the ramp you should be able to see the Doubletree if not the Ramada. You make a left and the Ramada will be on the right after the Doubletree.

Thank You again, this information will be a great great help.