Not Sure About Formal Dinner Attire.....

Monarch523

You need to tell us what cruise line/ship? The answer to your question varies depending on the cruise line. But the worst case would be about 2 formal nights per week. And even on formal nights there are usually options where you do not need to dress (you might dine in the Lido). And on many ships a majority of the passengers will not be in truly formal wear, but something akin to what we used to call semi-formal.

Hank

Do you have to dress in formal attire for dinner every night or are there designated days for formal wear? Don't want to pack extra if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for your replies:)

At most there might be two formal evenings on a seven day cruise - and those really aren't that formal. You should be able to get details on the cruise line's web site.

You need to tell us what cruise line/ship? The answer to your question varies depending on the cruise line. But the worst case would be about 2 formal nights per week. And even on formal nights there are usually options where you do not need to dress (you might dine in the Lido). And on many ships a majority of the passengers will not be in truly formal wear, but something akin to what we used to call semi-formal.

Hank

Carnival Cruise Line. I ask because I looked at others pictures and some woman are decked out in gowns whereas others looked very casual so I wasnt certain.

Edited by Monarch523

Do you have to dress in formal attire for dinner every night or are there designated days for formal wear? Don't want to pack extra if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for your replies:)

Don't worry! It's not EVERY night. :)

LuLu

~~~

Carnival does not have a "Formal" night. It has been changed to "Elegant" night. On a 3-5 night cruise there is 1 Elegant night and on a 7-8 night cruise there are 2 Elegant nights. On "Elegant" nights you will see everything from Formal Evening Gowns to Sundress and Dressy Pants/Blouses on the Ladies and from Tuxes to Collared button up shirts/dress pants on men. All with in the Carnival dress code...the majority will be dressed somewhere in between. On "Casual" nights on Carnival long shorts (not basketball or gym shorts) and jeans are allowed.

Edited by Warm Breezes

And you might get a lot of great info about Carnival and your ship by checking out the FAQs on the Carnival site. I always read the info on the cruise line website for the ship we're going on before every cruise, even if we're repeating the same ship (we went on the Carnival Holiday in '97, then '99, and went on the Golden Princess in '10 and '12...still read up on the sites just in case there were any changes in info since our previous cruise).

We are Carnival Diamond (200++++days) so know Carnival well. My husband no longer takes his tux and VERY few men wear them now. What used to be formal night is now 'cruise elegant night'. I have even seen shorts and jeans in the dining room on this night. Men will wear a suit but some wear Dockers and a polo shirt like they do other nights. Women tend to dress more formally than the men. No one will be turned away if not dressed formally. (Friend on Celebrity was not allowed in the dining room until he went and got a jacket!) Pictures are taken every night on the promenade deck but more on cruise elegant night when people are dressed more formally.