Soot problem on aft balconies of Breakaway/Getaway?

We had 12904 on Breakaway and never saw soot on the balcony. Our balcony stuck out further than 13 and 14, so we did find the occasional cigarette butt and other garbage, but never soot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were in 9918 on breakaway last July and there was no soot n no smoke. Best cabin ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were in 9318 on the Breakaway in January and had soot 1 day out of 12. We have had it on the Dawn, Gem & Jewel before on the aft. Not everyday, just once in a while. We still love the aft.

We had 12904 on Breakaway and never saw soot on the balcony. Our balcony stuck out further than 13 and 14' date=' so we did find the occasional cigarette butt and other garbage, but never soot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

12904 is my room. Care to share any pics? :)

Non-smoker here. I just find it odd that people are not worried about the soot. If it is thick enough that it needs to be cleaned up daily, stains clothes and require you to sit on towels, I would be more worried about the soot going in my lungs. Kind of like sitting behind a diesel bus in traffic breathing in all the fumes. So much talk about smokers on the balcony.

Obviously, it is something that rarely happens considering how few are reporting it. :cool:

• 1 month later...

We were in 11308 in May and did have a soot problem on our balcony. It started a few days in. We saw the smoke billowing from the smokestacks on the previous evening when sitting out there and in morning the whole balcony was covered with crunchy black bits of ash (?). We requested to have the balcony cleaned and the cushions changed. It was better after that one night but we still got a bit of blow back every day. However, it did not really affect our enjoyment of the cabin or balcony, and would not deter me from booking this suite again. It was truly amazing!!

We were on Getaway in February in a FORWARD cabin on deck 8 and had some soot on the balcony, but only noticed it 1 day out of 7. The cabin steward cleaned the deck that same morning. Just kept an eye out the rest of the cruise so as not to sit in any unaware. So, I really do not think location matters much. And this is not a problem unique to any ship or cruise line. All ships have smokestacks, after all. And if conditions are right ( wrong ), depending on the wind direction, someone may get soot occasionally. It is one of those sea hazards, like rough seas, but well worth the risk.

Hi,

I was in 10312 on the Breakaway april 27th,2014 sailing. Only 2 days of our trip did i notice a diesel smell. Not strong. those 2 days there was some soot only on the deck floor. The cabin steward did wash down the deck daily. our loungers and chairs were not affected.From reading here It seems the higher up you are and closer to he stacks --those are the decks with the most issues. IMO I also think it depends on which way the wind is blowing to get the diesel odor. It never deterred me from using the balcony.I would not hesitate to book that room again.