Would noro virus outbreak be a reason for reimbursed cancellation?

If you are that paranoid about getting sick or a "germophobe," you shouldn't cruise at all......ever. Just like a shopping mall or anywhere for that matter, there will be someone around you that is sick.

I know a girl at work that will not touch anything with her bare hands. Uses a napkin for the microwave in our kitchen, or the water/ice dispenser etc. You can use precautions and chillax.

Some of us have to use handrails and most of us touch elevator buttons etc. The key is to use the hand sanitizer are that are throughout the ship. They are there for a reason. You should use them as you enter any dining facility and as you leave too and if you have touched anything like handrails or elevators, use them often & don't touch your face. If you follow those simple tasks, you will likely be fine.

Some of us have to use handrails and most of us touch elevator buttons etc. The key is to use the hand sanitizer are that are throughout the ship. They are there for a reason. You should use them as you enter any dining facility and as you leave too and if you have touched anything like handrails or elevators, use them often & don't touch your face. If you follow those simple tasks, you will likely be fine.

You do realize that the hand-sanitzers do not protect against virus germs, right?:confused:

Al out

I thought sanitizers with BC have some protection against Noro

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Even alcohol based hand sanitizers have some effectiveness against noro. The CDC advises that they are about 60% as effective as hand washing with soap. The sanitizer, as well as soap and water, does not kill noro, it just attempts to remove it from your skin.

As far as Benzethonium chloride, it has been shown as effective against feline calicivirus, which is a near cousin to noro, but very few agents are actually tested on noro. And the important thing with BC is contact time, and is far more effective on hard, non-porous surfaces than skin.

Edited by chengkp75

In 2014, Grandeur OTS had back to back out-breaks on its early April sailings, Mar 28-April 5 --111 of 2122 (5.23%) April 5-April 12--97 of 2120 (4.58%)

From CDC:

Investigation Update on the Grandeur of the Seas

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

Cruise Ship: Grandeur of the Seas

Voyage Dates: April 5-12, 2014 (See also previous voyage posting – March 28 to April 5, 2014)

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 97 of 2120 (4.58%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 8 of 808 (0.99%)

Predominant symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Unknown

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship are taking the following actions:

• Increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
  • Making announcements to notify onboard passengers of the outbreak, encourage case reporting, and encourage hand hygiene,
  • Collecting stool specimens from ill passengers and crew and made plans to send them to the CDC lab,
  • Making twice daily reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP,
  • Sending corporate management public health, hotel, housekeeping team to assist the onboard management with the infection control response plan,
  • Is consulting with CDC on plans for their comprehensive sanitation procedures in Baltimore, Maryland on April 12, 2014, including:
    • providing additional cleaning crew to complete a thorough public and accommodation super-sanitization cleaning and disinfection,
    • planning staged disembarkation for active cases to limit the opportunity of illness transmission to well guests, and
    • planning for sanitation of terminal and transport infection control procedures.

Two CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officers and an epidemiologist will board the ship in Baltimore, MD on April 12, 2014 to conduct an epidemiologic investigation, environmental health assessment, and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. Specimens are being collected and will be sent to the CDC lab for testing.

Here's hoping the virus "runs its course"!

BTW: Carnival did not have any ships with verified outbreaks for 2013-2014.

Interesting, because they're tied with RCCL with most ships sailing at any one time.

Edited by manmtnmike

Check out the last couple pages from from Grandeur's roll call-April 5 sailing, others are reporting "post cruise" noro probs...yuk!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886766&page=47

I guess I'll be washing my hands raw and "knuckle-punch" handshake:rolleyes:

Well...why not Look at this the other way "ghf"- over 95% were healthy and had a great cruise!!:)

Mike

Yes, Ive noticed more and more people are reporting getting sick on that last sailing, sooo why dont they shut this ship down for a week and get this noro taken care???

Because the ship isn't sick.

In 2014, Grandeur OTS had back to back out-breaks on its early April sailings, Mar 28-April 5 --111 of 2122 (5.23%) April 5-April 12--97 of 2120 (4.58%)

BTW: Carnival did not have any ships with verified outbreaks for 2013-2014.

Interesting, because they're tied with RCCL with most ships sailing at any one time.

Those are pretty boiler plate "updates", if you look at any of them, the wording is standard.

All that means is that Carnival did not have any cruises where the total of passengers and crew that fell ill did not reach the 3% required before the USPH posts an outbreak update. They could very well have had many cruises with 2+% illness. I've known very few cruises in my career where there were NO GI cases. But as others have said, even at 5% ill, 95% were healthy.

I plan on bringing hand sanitizer wipes with me. I don't blame the cruise lines as much as I blame negligent passengers. On my first cruise after the last dinner a late night buffet was set out for passengers to enjoy the leftover desserts. Standing in line I heard grumbling in front of me. Come to find out a lady was going thru the line with a fork in her hand taste testing all the desserts. Someone called a server and they stopped her. But they had to dispose of all the desserts that she had put her fork in. Talking about whole pies, cakes etc. It was disgusting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='Trainman-2']If you had it and RCI refused to allow you to board, then you would probably be covered.

If you wanted to cancel because the cruise before you had a Noro Outbreak than probably not!

Keep in mind that the passengers bring on the Noro. The ships are cleaned well, normally better than our own homes.[/QUOTE]

:( but true.