Cunard Survey

maitai999

Anyone in the USA received these surveys?

So many of the Cunard cruises cover Europe , it would seem that they are only interested in the views of the European consumers.

As far as the TV one is concerned, I feel Cunard do not do a good job on information.

Hi Mrs Jirmgirl. From my observation, Cunard (CCL) could give a toss about North American passengers - the focus is now on different markets. C'est la vie.

And best of luck to the new management.

As long as we on the topic of surveys - maybe we as passengers should survey the management regarding their experience on ships in general, and Cunard ships specifically. Survey shore side help desk about their experiences on a Cunard ship.

Edited by Salacia

They show films on the TV in the cabin? I never knew. I've not looked at any channels other than the "Report from the bridge" and the "Bow-cam" (of course the "Clock change" warning and "For your safety" are left on by the steward when needed).

Mind you, I can watch films on TV at home 24/7, or in the cinema on board, should I choose.

There always seems to be something more interesting to do with my day than devote a couple of hours to the box in the corner.

Happy Sailings to all.

Edited by pepperrn

They show films on the TV in the cabin? I never knew. Mind you, I've never looked at any channels other than the "Report from the bridge" and the "Bow-cam" (of course the "Clock change" warning and "For your safety" are left on by the steward when needed).

Mind you, I can watch films on TV at home 24/7, or in the cinema on board, should I choose.

There always seems to be something more interesting to do with my day than devote a couple of hours to the box in the corner.

Happy Sailings to all.

Pepper, unfortunately, there are times when we might spend more time in our cabin than we planned. For example, on my QM2 cruise last Sept, there was a noro outbreak, and some were confined to their cabin/stateroom/suite. Towards the end of the cruise, the respiratory infection that was going around the ship got me. So I confined myself to my cabin/balcony for the last four days of my cruise. No doubt there are more interesting things to do on a cruise than spend four days in a cabin. Hopefully, you will never experience the need for distraction/entertainment while being ill in a cabin on a cruise ship - or anywhere else, for that matter. Here's to your continued good health ! Cheers, -S

Hi Mrs Jirmgirl. From my observation, Cunard (CCL) could give a toss about North American passengers - the focus is now on different markets. C'est la vie.
Hi Salacia,

Maybe it is thought that the cruise market in the USA has reached saturation point as there is so much choice? So many ships, so many berths, chasing passengers in the Caribbean? Prices so low, because of competition, that Cunard have been forced out? Or maybe, as a vast company with many "brands" trading for it, Carnival take a global view and have decided that certain brands should concentrate on certain markets? Silly to have one brand stealing passengers from one of your other brands (lowering prices and profits for both?) (Cunard v HAL?).

I do not know, merely my thoughts.

Here in the UK it is noticeable that P&O have recently been concentrating on a younger, more family orientated demographic, with their more traditional ships (eg Oriana) looking old-fashioned. Either that or they are trying to be all things to all people. I would imagine (but do not know) that many long-standing P&O passengers (from Canberra days) are now looking (being forced?) to look to Cunard for a more "traditional" cruise-ship experience. That is global marketing for you (Cunard don't go to Alaska for example, should I want to cruise there, there I am forced to look to another line).

You can, of course, still sail from/return to America with Cunard. There maybe less choice sailing with Cunard for you than in years gone by, but there are still classic Cunard transatlantic crossings and various cruises from New York.

And this change has hit me as well, sadly. One of my favourite cruises ever was an Autumn Caribbean Cruise from/to New York (two sea days/five islands/two sea days) on QM2. I'd do that cruise again in a heart-beat (but not at Christmas/New Year thank you).

All best wishes to you :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Pepper, unfortunately, there are times when we might spend more time in our cabin than we planned. For example, on my QM2 cruise last Sept, there was a noro outbreak, and some were confined to their cabin/stateroom/suite. Towards the end of the cruise, the respiratory infection that was going around the ship got me. So I confined myself to my cabin/balcony for the last four days of my cruise. No doubt there are more interesting things to do on a cruise than spend four days in a cabin. Hopefully, you will never experience the need for distraction/entertainment while being ill in a cabin on a cruise ship - or anywhere else, for that matter. Here's to your continued good health ! Cheers, -S
Thank you Salacia, and I am, of course, sincerely very sorry to read of your illness on board. I'm sailing in less than a week after months of anticipation, I'd hate (as would anyone) to be confined to my cabin because of illness.

However, in the past when I've been confined to bed (on land) because of illness, I've found that silence to help me rest/sleep, or sometimes quiet music from an i-pod, or reading, has aided my recovery. Maybe watching the news on TV. But I can't concentrate on a movie because of length; most movies (esp "made for TV" ones) only seem to make me feel worse! :rolleyes: ;) :D .

Best wishes :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Salacia,

Maybe it is thought that the cruise market in the USA has reached saturation point as there is so much choice? So many ships, so many berths, chasing passengers in the Caribbean? Prices so low, because of competition, that Cunard have been forced out? ...

You can, of course, still sail from/return to America with Cunard. There maybe less choice sailing with Cunard for you than in years gone by, but there are still classic Cunard transatlantic crossings and various cruises from New York...

And this change has hit me as well, sadly. One of my favourite cruises ever was an Autumn Caribbean Cruise from/to New York (two sea days/five islands/two sea days) on QM2. I'd do that cruise again in a heart-beat (but not at Christmas/New Year thank you).

About six months ago, prior to announcement of the 2015 voyage season, I received an itinerary survey geared toward North American customers. The survey inquired about preferences for different transatlantic schedules (7 vs. 8 vs. 9 day crossings) and various ports in the UK and Europe. I don't recall a question regarding the Caribbean. The later sailings were my first two voyages on QM2 and I'd love to repeat it. A couple of days to decompress, five days of island hopping, and a couple of days to decompress before the return to reality.

If the games of "pricing chicken" that I read on the boards are any indication of what people are willing to pay then Cunard may indeed be too pricey for the North American market. (For the July 4th 5-day voyage one couple posted that can't wait to go ...if they get a good deal.)

Much as I love QM2 she cannot compete with the purpose-built warm weather cruise ships - and their numerous outdoor amenities - that sail from New York harbor. A sheltered balcony won't appeal to anybody who wants to tan in the buff. Nor would a steamer lounger suit somebody who wants to book a private cabana.

Edited by BlueRiband

Many ships do not cover North America/Transatlantic. Crystal for instance, concentrates on Europe, and World Cruises, also all the "rooms" are balconies/suites, and that puts them out of my rice range - and no I am not "cut price".

I travel solo, and the lowest price on Crystal would be $500-600 per day . ( Before any personal spending for a drink)Even with the higher supplement and inside cabin on Cunard, is about $300-350 per day before personal spending.

I have tried HAL out of Tampa, Western Caribbean/ partial Canal cruise, price was acceptable, but food very bland , ( for those with digestive/dental problems) and here in Florida, the selling is geared to mid sized group from Asst.Living complexes. Wheelchairs, walkers, canes, hearing aids and Alzheimer patients. It was a very miserable cruise.

I have no interest in climbing walls, skating rinks, surf board riding on board, but neither do I want to be on a ship where almost every passenger is just biding their time in "gods waiting room" .

I am not being cruel, I am 88, have problems, but go on cruise to meet people, and above all enjoy each day.

Many ships do not cover North America/Transatlantic. Crystal for instance, concentrates on Europe, and World Cruises, also all the "rooms" are balconies/suites, and that puts them out of my rice range - and no I am not "cut price". I travel solo, and the lowest price on Crystal would be $500-600 per day . ( Before any personal spending for a drink)Even with the higher supplement and inside cabin on Cunard, is about $300-350 per day before personal spending. I have tried HAL out of Tampa, Western Caribbean/ partial Canal cruise, price was acceptable, but food very bland , ( for those with digestive/dental problems) and here in Florida, the selling is geared to mid sized group from Asst.Living complexes. Wheelchairs, walkers, canes, hearing aids and Alzheimer patients. It was a very miserable cruise. I have no interest in climbing walls, skating rinks, surf board riding on board, but neither do I want to be on a ship where almost every passenger is just biding their time in "gods waiting room" . I am not being cruel, I am 88, have problems, but go on cruise to meet people, and above all enjoy each day.
Jimsgirl... Excellent post :) . Well said :) . Thank you, I'm sure your last line and sentiment (highlighted) would be echoed by many here :) .

Thanks again.

Edited by pepperrn

...I have no interest in climbing walls, skating rinks, surf board riding on board..

Nor do I have an interest in a "balcony view" which overlooks a retail strip mall or facing other cabins as if I am staying in cell block D.

The Cunard ships go against this trend where any stateroom that's not an inside faces out toward the sea. One is always looking outward, not inward. I wonder if that psychologically affects the mood and passenger interaction on board. I've been admonished here regarding the sea views - that passengers today want more. Evidently the cruise lines marketing people have determined that the "more" is what North American passengers want because that is how most ships are now built.

...The Cunard ships go against this trend where any stateroom that's not an inside faces out toward the sea. One is always looking outward, not inward. ...

Not entirely true - QM2 has a small number of cabins (six on 5 Deck and six more on 6 Deck) that are classed as "atrium view" cabins and that look inward.

J

Not entirely true - QM2 has a small number of cabins (six on 5 Deck and six more on 6 Deck) that are classed as "atrium view" cabins and that look inward. -J

While technically true the view is very narrow (so I'm told) and nobody would consider them "atrium" staterooms by today's standards. I think of them as insides and almost everyone else would as well. I'm reminded of an old hotel building in San Francisco where some bathrooms technically had a window but it opened into an air shaft and not to the outside.

The atrium cabins are different in layout, when I booked one, though I liked the room, and was happy to be "in the middle of the ship" I was disconcerted to realize that my window looked straight across to the window of an atrium cabin on the other side.

You do have to CLOSE the curtains (drapes) when in the room if you do not wish to be on display.

• 1 month later...
I have recieved the survey email twice over the past two days. Both times I've tired to open the survey and it doesn't launch. Very frustrating.

I received the survey e-mail yesterday and was unable to launch it, but then got it again today and had no trouble this time. Took me about 20 minutes to complete.

KK

I have tried HAL out of Tampa, Western Caribbean/ partial Canal cruise, price was acceptable, but food very bland , ( for those with digestive/dental problems) and here in Florida, the selling is geared to mid sized group from Asst.Living complexes. Wheelchairs, walkers, canes, hearing aids and Alzheimer patients. It was a very miserable cruise.

I have no interest in climbing walls, skating rinks, surf board riding on board, but neither do I want to be on a ship where almost every passenger is just biding their time in "gods waiting room" .

I am not being cruel, I am 88, have problems, but go on cruise to meet people, and above all enjoy each day.

And that's why Baskin-Robbins sells 31 flavors! I'm a 51 year-old, single female who has absolutely LOVED each of the four HAL cruises I've taken to date (Alaska, Canada/New England, Circle Hawaii and just returned last week from the Baltics).

Though I've thoroughly enjoyed the 3 QM2 cruises I've taken, I find the HAL crew and general atmosphere to be much warmer and friendlier, the food just as delicious and equally wonderful entertainment and enrichment programs. I learned that I like HAL's smaller ships, yet larger cabins and more unique itineraries.

The age demographic on all of my QM2 and HAL sailings have been about equal - skewed more toward the senior crowd. But I've enjoyed meeting and making new friends of varied ages on both lines, learning about their lives, where they live and especially their past travel experiences.

The QM2 will always be my first love, but I've been delighted to discover that I enjoy sailing with HAL just a slight bit more. And I'm looking forward to trying other cruise lines in the future as means for further comparison.

Mrs, Jimsgirl, I'm glad you've found a line that suits you so well.

KK

Got my second survey email today - the first one sent yesterday had a bad link.

The questions were not specific for any geographical area. I recall a 1-10 rating on whether I would recommend Cunard to friends and explain why I gave the rating. One section asked how many cruises I had taken and to select which lines used, and on which line I would book my next one. There was one section where the reasons for booking Cunard where to be ranked 1 through 7 in order of decending importance. There were no dress code questions but I took the opportunity to work in my opinions.

There was a page regarding entertainment: free text boxes where one could state which venues they enjoyed and which were disappointing.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone in the UK recently received a survey by email from Cunard? I got one the other day but when I clicked on the link in the email it says "the address is not valid". I am using a PC.

At Cunard we regularly carry out consumer research to help us understand our passengers' views and preferences.

In this survey we are particularly interested in your views about your stateroom/suite and your dining experiences on board. We would be grateful if you would spare 20 minutes of your time to complete the survey attached to the link in this email.

Please note surveys need to be completed by Tuesday 5 August. Simply click on the link and answer the questions, noting that whilst it is possible to complete the survey on a Smartphone, we would recommend that you use a laptop or a PC.

Has anyone in the UK recently received a survey by email from Cunard? I got one the other day but when I clicked on the link in the email it says "the address is not valid". I am using a PC.

At Cunard we regularly carry out consumer research to help us understand our passengers' views and preferences.

In this survey we are particularly interested in your views about your stateroom/suite and your dining experiences on board. We would be grateful if you would spare 20 minutes of your time to complete the survey attached to the link in this email.

Please note surveys need to be completed by Tuesday 5 August. Simply click on the link and answer the questions, noting that whilst it is possible to complete the survey on a Smartphone, we would recommend that you use a laptop or a PC.

Myself and a couple of other people I know also received this and are unable to access,the actual survey whether on iPad, iPhone, laptop or desktop. I mentioned on Cunard Facebook page and they replied they have reported it and are trying to fix the problem, I've heard no more since.

I have received the link for the latest survey twice and have filled it in both times.

It seemed to me to be mainly about getting rid of the chart room on QV, which in my opinion, would be a tragedy, and changing the decor in the staterooms. I may have got QV specific questions as that was the last ship I was on.

I have received the link for the latest survey twice and have filled it in both times.

It seemed to me to be mainly about getting rid of the chart room on QV, which in my opinion, would be a tragedy, and changing the decor in the staterooms. I may have got QV specific questions as that was the last ship I was on.

My survey had errata in the heading and explained there had been a problem before when first sent out so was being re- issued.

I also felt the survey was trying to find out if we wanted the chart room maintained ....... I stressed that I did along with other areas we like as well. I assume they might be testing out if it would be off putting to future cruisers to change the chart room to another dining area but revenue will be the deciding feature I' m sure.

Edited by lucky white heather

I've now received another Cunard email with a link to a questionnaire that now works. Some very interesting ideas for the Kings Court and the Winter Garden. Took me ages to complete (longer than 20 minutes) :D