Mexican Riviera from San Francisco

#1Nanna

It could be cold or chilly until you're south of LA, and returning, due to the very cold California Current which flows from the Gulf of Alaska to Baja California. Temps on the coast south of LA are usually low 60's or cooler in January, and it'll be colder at sea.

We did the same cruise a few years before on Dawn Princess. The portion between SF and LA was cold and ocean was rough, ship was rocking. From LA south, it was warm and water was calm and smooth. It was the same in reverse heading back to SF.

Have a good time.

We did the same cruise a few years before on Dawn Princess. The portion between SF and LA was cold and ocean was rough, ship was rocking. From LA south, it was warm and water was calm and smooth. It was the same in reverse heading back to SF.

Have a good time.

I was also wondering about that, if we could expect some"rough seas".

Thanks!

#1Nanna

We are on the same rollcall so I am curious as well.

Did check some historical January temps:

Loreto - highs 80s lows 50s avg water temp 68 (that is cold)

La Paz - highs 74 lows 52 avg 63

Cabo - highs 74 lows 54 avg 64

Edited by cflutist

We are on the same cruise in November. The Pacific can be rough along the US coast so plan ahead. Once the ship enters the Sea of Cortez it should be fantastic with smooth water and warm temps. The Star can close the conservatory where the Calypso pool is located so that water activities can go on even though it is cooler outside. It has a rolling glass roof.

Ocean temp of 68 degrees on the New Hampshire coast in July or August would be like swimming in bath water!:D
Seriously! I don't ever remember it getting that warm. It was usually in the 50's and maybe low 60's after a heat wave. :) Ahh... But then the cool nights after a warm/hot day.

FYI, I took the 10-day Sapphire cruise to the Sea of Cortez last month. The BEST whale watching I've ever had, and I've done a lot, was in Cabo with EcoTours. In Loreto, it was nice but we spent most of our time chasing water spouts and by the time we got close , the whale was long gone.

Edited by Pam in CA