Cancellation Question

bouhunter

Hey everyone. We've only cruised Royal Caribbean and are looking at Carnival for next year. I have a question - on the Carnival website they're quoting "early saver" prices. When I click on that is say's that if you cancel before final payment you get a 24 month credit to use for a future cruise. Am I reading that correctly that they don't refund your deposit, but give you a credit? Is that only for "early saver" rates, or is that the policy for any deposit? I know on Royal Caribbean the standard policy is that if you cancel prior to final payment they give you an actual refund of your deposit, not a credit for a future cruise. We've never cancelled a cruise after deposit, but just in case trying to clarify the Carnival policy.

THANKS!

When I click on that is say's that if you cancel before final payment you get a 24 month credit to use for a future cruise. Am I reading that correctly that they don't refund your deposit, but give you a credit? Is that only for "early saver" rates, or is that the policy for any deposit? !

You are reading it correctly. It is only for early saver rates.

Basically you're sacrificing the flexibility of a 100% refundable credit for a price discount and price drop adjustments after final payment (all other rates only allow price adjustments only until final payment).

As mentioned above, read the fine print carefully if you decide to do Early Saver! Your deposit is non refundable, there's a $50pp penalty for any changes or cancellations, no name changes are allowed, and you can't downgrade categories even outside of penalty. Even changing ships or sailing dates is going to cost you.

Each person is different. We NEVER do Early Saver as we find it too restrictive and instead choose other promotions, but some people swear by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Basically you're sacrificing the flexibility of a 100% refundable credit for a price discount and price drop adjustments after final payment (all other rates only allow price adjustments only until final payment).

As mentioned above, read the fine print carefully if you decide to do Early Saver! Your deposit is non refundable, there's a $50pp penalty for any changes or cancellations, no name changes are allowed, and you can't downgrade categories even outside of penalty. Even changing ships or sailing dates is going to cost you.

Each person is different. We NEVER do Early Saver as we find it too restrictive and instead choose other promotions, but some people swear by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did early saver one year (actually, we didn't know we had, it was just a good price). We didn't pay much attention to the details. The good part though is that AFTER final payment you CAN get OBC if the price drops! There is a form somewhere. Anyway, we ended up with $750 OBC by the time all was said and done! :eek: So, ES comes with both good and bad aspects. If I could have done it for this year's cruise I would have believe you me!

We booked early saver and we bought the insurance. I had to cancel after final payment last Nov. because my DH passed away. Carnival refund some of my money and the OBC which was $350.00 and my insurance made up the different. The insurance sent me 2 checks one for me and one in my name for my DH. Carnival credited my card that I used.

Unless you can get a good promo sale or state specific/military rates Early Saver is far cheaper than Fun Select rates and usually the best rate to choose your own cabin.

Look out for Early saver "Reduced Deposit" or "$50 deposit" promo,s and then the ES deposit rules are in your favour:)

We booked early saver and we bought the insurance. I had to cancel after final payment last Nov. because my DH passed away. Carnival refund some of my money and the OBC which was $350.00 and my insurance made up the different. The insurance sent me 2 checks one for me and one in my name for my DH. Carnival credited my card that I used.

I am so so sorry for the passing of your DH! Do you mind sharing what insurance you had?