what the heck do we do on Dec 26??!!

nursemommy7578

there seem to be no tour guides available and the rainforest is closed??

we are not interested in just walking around the city or going to a rum factory. we refuse to pay $1000 for the 4 of us to go ATV'ing...and 2 of us wont go horseback riding. there are no other excursions offered!

any ideas for 2 adults and 2 teens?? should we just take a taxi to isla verde beach?

thanks

You will find things open December 26.

There will be tour guides outside the terminal you can make arrangements with when you disembark the ship. There are always a bunch of them. Speak with several and choose the one you like the best.

there seem to be no tour guides available and the rainforest is closed??

we are not interested in just walking around the city or going to a rum factory. we refuse to pay $1000 for the 4 of us to go ATV'ing...and 2 of us wont go horseback riding. there are no other excursions offered!

any ideas for 2 adults and 2 teens?? should we just take a taxi to isla verde beach?

thanks

Both forts are open that day. They are beautiful. Our kids (teens at the time) loved them.

Our best San Juan excursion with teens was the Segway tour. Not sure they are running that day but you could e-mail them.

Or, you could go to the beach. I would head to Condado, it's closer that isla verde and you can walk up and down the shopping strip. There is a guy who rents chairs ($5.00) where Condado street hits the ocean. There is a Walgreen on the corner of Condado and Ashford that sells cold drinks, snacks and anything else you might need for a fun day at the beach. Waves are often a good size to play in.

Walking around San Juan is beautiful. There are great stores and the blue cobblestone streets and little alleyways are lovely. Although you said you don't want to walk around I suggest you do, if only for a little while.

As others have pointed out, you will find tours offered by locals when you get off the ship.

We love PR!

Hopefully, you will too!

thanks for the replies. we prefer to take an excursion through the ship for safety reasons...and there is no option for the rainforest.

we would rather not just pick some "random" person at the pier....again...safety reasons.

hopefully more excursions will be added in the next few months!

Did you look on Tripadvisor? They will list all the attractions in San Juan and rank them. You can get reviews on independent operators if that's the way you have to go. We took a night tour of Old San Juan when we were there pre-cruise and then walked around town the next day. We loved it. We wished we had more time there. We went to the forts too. We really enjoyed those. Kids would probably like them too.

What "safety reasons" for only doing an excursion to the El Yunque? It's perfectly safe - thousands of people go there without an excursion.

I'm curious because I'm planning a trip to Puerto Rico in the Fall and was not planning any excursions - I'm just doing things myself. Have I missed warnings about hijackings, murders, robberies of tourists not no excursions? I'm pretty good about researching my areas of travel.

What "safety reasons" for only doing an excursion to the El Yunque? It's perfectly safe - thousands of people go there without an excursion.

I'm curious because I'm planning a trip to Puerto Rico in the Fall and was not planning any excursions - I'm just doing things myself. Have I missed warnings about hijackings, murders, robberies of tourists not no excursions? I'm pretty good about researching my areas of travel.

you are entitled to your opinion and so am I. we tend to take caution when travelling in strange countries, nomatter how "safe" they are deemed. All the research in the world will not prevent something from happening. And even things can happen on an excursion through the ship. But we feel "safer" so to speak doing excursions with a group through the ship as opposed to on our own.

When travelling with my kids, i'm a bit more cautious when we venture out.

I'm sure something will come up for us:) I'm just not happy with todays current selections.

I understand the reluctance to go with unknown vendors. When we were in St. Croix some of the taxi drivers seemed a bit sketchy to us so we just wandered around Frederiksted. Others went off with the cab drivers and I assume they came back alive. :) It's a fact of travelling that sometimes you will land somewhere on a Sunday or a religious or statutory holiday and you will have to make do with whatever's available. If exploring the town and the forts doesn't interest you then you are probably best to hang out at a beach. Puerto Rico has flat taxi rates depending on where you are going (Google San Juan Taxi and the Taxi Turistico info should come up).

Have to jump in and comment ……. the tour companies that the cruise lines use are the same ones that do private tours.

Many people are under the assumption that the cruise lines have their own tours….. not so.

So if you do a tour with one or the other - the safety factor is the same.

As for Puerto Rico being a "foreign country" - it is an American protectorate. This means while it is not a "state" it is protected diplomatically and militarily. It is about as safe as anywhere in the continental US.

Now - anywhere there is a high concentration of tourists - there are those who tend to prey on tourists. Pickpockets are the highest on the list and most prefer to steal from you without you knowing it or without any violence. Is it possible to be mugged ? - sure just like anywhere else.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion but it is, IN MY OPINION, a shame that many people travel the world and never get the true feel for a place while riding in a huge bus looking out the window. With the right research it is possible to know, as much as you can, what is safe and what is not…….

Enjoy Puerto Rico whatever you end up doing - it is a beautiful, friendly special place.

Have to jump in and comment ……. the tour companies that the cruise lines use are the same ones that do private tours.

Many people are under the assumption that the cruise lines have their own tours….. not so.

So if you do a tour with one or the other - the safety factor is the same.

As for Puerto Rico being a "foreign country" - it is an American protectorate. This means while it is not a "state" it is protected diplomatically and militarily. It is about as safe as anywhere in the continental US.

Now - anywhere there is a high concentration of tourists - there are those who tend to prey on tourists. Pickpockets are the highest on the list and most prefer to steal from you without you knowing it or without any violence. Is it possible to be mugged ? - sure just like anywhere else.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion but it is, IN MY OPINION, a shame that many people travel the world and never get the true feel for a place while riding in a huge bus looking out the window. With the right research it is possible to know, as much as you can, what is safe and what is not…….

Enjoy Puerto Rico whatever you end up doing - it is a beautiful, friendly special place.

^^ Yes..... that.

We have spent a huge amount of time in San Juan both on land/resort stays and cruise stops and absolutely love it there. We have never once had any discomfort, unease or problem with any of the independent tour operators or taxi drivers.

Use the same common sense you would use anywhere.

This is how these people earn their living. They are not going to get a reputation for crime. Their fellow tour operators will see to it anyone who is the least suspect walks a straight line. Their livlihood depends upon it.

As to foreign country, people born in Puerto Rico travel on U.S. passport.

Edited by sail7seas

I agree for the most part, but the cruise lines only use tour operators that they deem reputable. Not all tour operators are used by cruise lines. Not all tour operators are reputable. That's why I suggest going to TripAdvisor to read reviews, etc. We use ship excursions as well as book things on our own, depending on the circumstances.

We had a great time walking around OSJ, checking out the forts and the shops. I wish we'd had more time there. We also felt very comfortable there. The most dangerous thing seemed to be walking on the cobblestone streets. :D Definitely need to watch your step.

I agree for the most part, but the cruise lines only use tour operators that they deem reputable. Not all tour operators are used by cruise lines. Not all tour operators are reputable. That's why I suggest going to TripAdvisor to read reviews, etc. We use ship excursions as well as book things on our own, depending on the circumstances.

We had a great time walking around OSJ, checking out the forts and the shops. I wish we'd had more time there. We also felt very comfortable there. The most dangerous thing seemed to be walking on the cobblestone streets. :D Definitely need to watch your step.

Had to chuckle at the first paragraph…… the cruise lines pretty much use the lines that will give them the best deal/cut of the profits. And the ONLY time we have ever seen someone get left behind was on a cruise line tour. We were in France and had gone to Aix-en-Provence from Toulon. About an hour and a half drive from one to the other. The guide counted heads and we began to drive away. I told her that a single woman who was sitting in the seat in front of me was not there. She said she was in another seat and that she had counted….. well long story short we got about halfway back and I saw her stand up wide eyed and begin counting heads….. then the other guide did the same. Their eyes got wider and their hand movements got bigger and they got louder and guess what ???? THEY LEFT A YOUNG SINGLE WOMAN ALONE and she was terrified…… (we heard later on the ship) Turns out there was another tour that came back later that brought her on their bus so all was okay. But pretty scary for the young woman I am sure.

And cruise line tours will leave you behind if you are not on the bus where and when they tell you to be…… most will wait an extra 5 minutes or so but they all stress this point when you begin your tour……

I have NEVER gotten left behind on a private tour or when I DIY !!! :eek:

As for the best place to get recommendations - - - well, right here !!!!! Talk to others here about their experiences…… they won't steer you wrong.

Edited by texancruzer

you are entitled to your opinion and so am I. we tend to take caution when travelling in strange countries, nomatter how "safe" they are deemed. All the research in the world will not prevent something from happening. And even things can happen on an excursion through the ship. But we feel "safer" so to speak doing excursions with a group through the ship as opposed to on our own.

I'm sure something will come up for us:) I'm just not happy with todays current selections.

Understand. It wasn't my opinion, I was trying to see if I was missing something in my research. Right now, I'm only on a land vacation - waiting to see if I enough money to stretch it to include a cruise out of SJU. Being on land, I don't have the "ship excursion vs pier operator vs DIY" options. I had another vacation in Puerto Rico years ago - I never felt unsafe and I did drive all over the island (this as a middle-aged woman). I couldn't imagine things changing drastically bad from when I was there, and hadn't read anything to indicate that.

I have never thought of Puerto Rico as a "strange country". For all intensive purposes it is part of the USA. We have stopped here on multiple cruises and we have done many, many 1 week vacations there with our children which included renting cars and traveling all over the countryside. I feel as safe in San Juan as I do in downtown Toronto and would take the same precautions as in that city when walking around.

Our trip to the rainforest was done alone in a rental car. Never once did I have any concern for out safety. The driving was much easier than you would encounter on the highways of Southern Ontario.

Your concern for safety is always an important one and there are some ports where it makes total sense (not going to mention any names). No place is 100% safe but really this is not a port where you need to have big worries.

Again, I suggest you look into the Segway tour, it was fantastic!

http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

I have never thought of Puerto Rico as a "strange country". For all intensive purposes it is part of the USA. We have stopped here on multiple cruises and we have done many, many 1 week vacations there with our children which included renting cars and traveling all over the countryside. I feel as safe in San Juan as I do in downtown Toronto and would take the same precautions as in that city when walking around.

Our trip to the rainforest was done alone in a rental car. Never once did I have any concern for out safety. The driving was much easier than you would encounter on the highways of Southern Ontario.

Your concern for safety is always an important one and there are some ports where it makes total sense (not going to mention any names). No place is 100% safe but really this is not a port where you need to have big worries.

Again, I suggest you look into the Segway tour, it was fantastic!

http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

Your first few words made me smile. I promise I am not making fun...but it isn't "all intensive purposes", it is "all intents and purposes". That is one of those phrases that you mostly just hear spoken and you think it is one thing.... Anyway, I have made the same sorts of mistakes and always appreciate being straightened out. Hope you take this in the spirit intended.

Your first few words made me smile. I promise I am not making fun...but it isn't "all intensive purposes", it is "all intents and purposes". That is one of those phrases that you mostly just hear spoken and you think it is one thing.... Anyway, I have made the same sorts of mistakes and always appreciate being straightened out. Hope you take this in the spirit intended.

Smiled too. Your correction was certainly taken as you intended.

Never too old to learn. Thanks!

I believe I would enjoy cruising with you. ;)

I caught that too….. :)