Teenagers, Christmas ideas

So we are taking our teenagers with us on out cruise In feb.

Girl (14)

Boy (12)

We are going to make the cruise as part of their Christmas present.

What can we buy them to add to it?

I am getting new luggage for each child, and will be putting new formal clothes in their luggage, what other items can we buy for them?

I also have Hawaiian costumes for each child, and a Laynard each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow that is really cheap!

I will for sure get one each.

Is that for unlimited drinks?

Do you know what drinks are included?

Thank you

Yes, unlimited soda.

Drinks vary by ship. If the ship has a Freestyle Coke machine, there are over 100 choices. If no machine, then the choices are Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, soda water, and tonic water.

Mini torches and mini bedside clock with glow in the dark numbers (our room was dark), those mini sunscreen bottles that are on a keyring ($2 shop or cancercouncil), something magnetic (our cabin walls were "magnetic" and we put the fridge magnets we bought on them) mini travel diary (from Kikki K or Smiggle) a small shoulder bag for your daughter and a mini backpack for you son (for ports visits). Buy one of those cheap name pencil cases and add the name of the cruise vessel (or their names) and fill with a highlighter, pen, post it notes etc. A small coin purse with some coins for fun spending money. Sunglasses and a new cap or sunhat, binoculars, books, pack of cards.

Hope this helps. My teens loved their first cruise.

Edited by aussielozzie18

If we were doing this, I'd tell the kids ahead of time that it's going to be stockings only on Christmas morning. I'd do this 1) because Christmas cruises are expensive, and even though we tend to go all-out on Christmas, this would be "plenty" for a present. 2) stocking stuffers would be easier to transport.

Stocking stuffer ideas:

Phone cover

Socks

Jewelry

New CD -- if you're going to have a way to play it on the cruise

Small artsy projects -- I'm thinking of a tiny origami kit one of my girls received last Christmas; it was about the size of an altoids tin -- I've also seen small Spiro-graphs; I loved those when I was a kid

Fancy gel pens or pencils

Candy -- try for unusual stuff like chocolate covered sunflower seeds

Books and book marks

Small puzzle

Hacky-sac or other game that can be shared with new friends

Hat

My kids always ooh and ahh over the little bitty-bits near the register at Books-a-Million. And the dollar spot at Target. Those are good stocking stuffer places.

Mini torches and mini bedside clock with glow in the dark numbers (our room was dark), those mini sunscreen bottles that are on a keyring ($2 shop or cancercouncil), something magnetic (our cabin walls were "magnetic" and we put the fridge magnets we bought on them) mini travel diary (from Kikki K or Smiggle) a small shoulder bag for your daughter and a mini backpack for you son (for ports visits). Buy one of those cheap name pencil cases and add the name of the cruise vessel (or their names) and fill with a highlighter, pen, post it notes etc. A small coin purse with some coins for fun spending money. Sunglasses and a new cap or sunhat, binoculars, books.

Hope this helps. My teens loved their first cruise.

Thank you, loads of awesome ideas there

If we were doing this, I'd tell the kids ahead of time that it's going to be stockings only on Christmas morning. I'd do this 1) because Christmas cruises are expensive, and even though we tend to go all-out on Christmas, this would be "plenty" for a present. 2) stocking stuffers would be easier to transport.

Stocking stuffer ideas:

Phone cover

Socks

Jewelry

New CD -- if you're going to have a way to play it on the cruise

Small artsy projects -- I'm thinking of a tiny origami kit one of my girls received last Christmas; it was about the size of an altoids tin -- I've also seen small Spiro-graphs; I loved those when I was a kid

Fancy gel pens or pencils

Candy -- try for unusual stuff like chocolate covered sunflower seeds

Books and book marks

Small puzzle

Hacky-sac or other game that can be shared with new friends

Hat

My kids always ooh and ahh over the little bitty-bits near the register at Books-a-Million. And the dollar spot at Target. Those are good stocking stuffer places.

They will still get a good amount of non cruise Christmas gifts, but I have ready told them that, the presents will be halved this year, due to the cruise. And they are more then happy about that. But I also want to set them up with as much cruise related stuff as I can at Christmas.

We always try to have coordinating outfits for boarding so we look sharp in the boarding photo. Do they have a beach bag for excursions? Travel alarm clock? Watch? Cruise cash to spend on on-board purchases? Sunglasses?

Friends/family normally give them cash for Christmas, this year they will be giving them American dollars instead of Aussie dollars.

So they will have a few hundred each to take with them.

They could always do with new sunnies, kids tend to scratch them, so new sunnies will be on my list.

I've chosen coordinating outfits for the formal nights, but hadn't even thought about the boarding photos.

So that's another great idea.

They don't wear a watch, their phone tells them the time.

Beach bag is on the list :-)

Can you print off a some info about the ports that you are going to visit for the kids to read? You could put the info in 2 x A4 size soft flexi folders. They weigh nothing and take up no space- you just slide then into the pockets in their suitcases.

(I used the folder to keep my cruise compasses in)

I would get some books about the ports of call. Books with history of the places that they will visit. Or gather info from the internet, print it out, and put it into a lose leaf note book. Give the note book as a gift. Put some blank pages in the book so they can write about their trip. Even if you plan to visit an old fort there would be info that they might like. It would bring their trip to life before they even get on the ship. Put info in about the ship, size and where it was made etc.

Edited by geocruiser

So we are taking our teenagers with us on out cruise In feb.

Girl (14)

Boy (12)

We are going to make the cruise as part of their Christmas present.

What can we buy them to add to it?

I am getting new luggage for each child, and will be putting new formal clothes in their luggage, what other items can we buy for them?

I also have Hawaiian costumes for each child, and a Laynard each.

Why would you bring Hawaiian costumes?:confused:

I would let the 14 year old girl pick out her own formal wear (and other clothes).

Why would you bring Hawaiian costumes?:confused:

I would let the 14 year old girl pick out her own formal wear (and other clothes).

My 4 friends who have been on many many many cruises between them, have told me that every single cruise they have gone on, both in Aussie waters and to the islands, have all had a hawian/island theme night.

Also FYI, my daughter has picked both of her formal outfits her self, an my son picked his too, I can upload a pic if you like.

Our dress's look good together , but are totally different. We spent a whole day online looking for the dress's :-)

I would get some books about the ports of call. Books with history of the places that they will visit. Or gather info from the internet, print it out, and put it into a lose leaf note book. Give the note book as a gift. Put some blank pages in the book so they can write about their trip. Even if you plan to visit an old fort there would be info that they might like. It would bring their trip to life before they even get on the ship. Put info in about the ship, size and where it was made etc.

That is an Awesome idea, thank you

My kids wouldn't wear co-ordinating outfits EVER. I see it all the time on cruises and have a bit of a chuckle. Definitely not a Canadian thing.

We won't wear matchie matchi clothes, just similar colours.

Especially for the formal pics.

Any photographer will tell you, if having a family portrait done, clothing that is simian colors will always look best.

Can you print off a some info about the ports that you are going to visit for the kids to read? You could put the info in 2 x A4 size soft flexi folders. They weigh nothing and take up no space- you just slide then into the pockets in their suitcases.

(I used the folder to keep my cruise compasses in)

That is a great idea, thankyou :-)