NCL Sun vs RC Freedom of Seas

Kate45

Trying to decide on which cruise for us in November. We are taking kids and grandkids to Disney for a week first, so looking for a relaxing, less stressful and noisy cruise. (Don't judge me...I love kids but after a week of 5 of them, I'm going to need rest and quiet). We have cruised 8 times before, mostly with Princess-haven't done either NCL or RC. The itinerary is the most important thing for us since we'd like to visit somewhere we haven't seen before. Both cruises offer this.

I'd most interested in a comparison of food (dining room and buffet), cabins (we just get an inside-midship), and difference in small ship (the NCL Sun) and mega ship (Freedom). The are both priced similar. Appreciate any insight.

This one isn't even close, in my opinion. Definitely Freedom of the Seas. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that would be better on Sun.

Better is subjective.

A mega-ship will be more like Disney. Thought they wanted quiet.

The Sun is my favirite ship so far. But that is because I have found my preference is smlet and quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote for Freedom too. One of the things I didn't like about Sun was where the basketball court was located, so we heard that noise constantly. Not sure about the actual dimensions, but the cabins sure felt larger on Freedom, and the entertainment venues are larger, so the ship doesn't ever feel crowded. If you're going to see shows, the huge auditorium on the Freedom will definitely give you that Wow factor compared to the smaller venue of the Sun. We had some bad weather on Sun, and the buffet just didn't have enough places to sit compared to RCL's windjammer. It seemed to be designed in the expectation that people would be able to use deck space, and bad weather pulled everyone inside. You can find many quiet places on Freedom, if that's what you're looking for. Both ships can be noisy and crowded around the pools, and when shows let out. I thought the food was a toss-up with a slight edge to RCL for lunches and dinners, and an edge to Norwegian for breakfasts.

Having said that, it may also be a function of price. You can have a fantastic vacation on both ships.

Edited by Truluv

I'm interested in this, as I am on Freedom in a couple of weeks, (second time) and though I have never sailed NCL, am booked on the Sun in September to Alaska. I am not expecting the Sun to be comparable to Freedom; it is a smaller ship and can't possibly compete. Freedom had the best entertainment of the RCI and Celebrity cruises I have taken. Alaska is about relaxation for us. As long as the food is decent and there is a bar open somewhere, the Sun will be just fine. Anything more will be an added benefit!

Edited by MaryL31