Istanbul-Where Does the Ship Leave From

RobertS975

We left from the European side on the Odyssey 2 years ago. The views of Istanbul as you sail away are breathtaking, the best part of the trip. Also impressive is the line-up of scores of ships and barges from all over the world, waiting for their turn to sail up the Bosporus.

Left from Istanbul last September, as others have said it is quite spectacular. We got a taxi from Sultanahmet and it only took about 15 mins. The dock we left from was not far over the Galata bridge. The Odyssey arrived a day early so we walked down to the dock from Sultanahmet to check out where to go (it would only be about 3k from the Blue Mosque) There is a port sign up but we had to point it out to the taxi driver. The driver can turn right into the port entrance. We left the hotel about 12 midday and were sitting in the Colonnade restaurant not much after 12:40 for 4pm depart. (The boarding was quick as) About 1:30 they called us to the suite. Photo took just leaving Sultanahmet of the Odyssey at the dock.

3E10828F-8561-4965-AE87-BBCD5996E4E1_zps0qqojo8c.jpg

We left from the European side on the Odyssey 2 years ago. The views of Istanbul as you sail away are breathtaking, the best part of the trip. Also impressive is the line-up of scores of ships and barges from all over the world, waiting for their turn to sail up the Bosporus.

Is there a name for the cruise terminal or a pier #? Or do all the major cruise ships leave from the same terminal? Having never been there before, I woud like to be able to give a specific destination to my taxi driver.

As the taxi driver drove from Sultanahmet around the Golden Horn we could see the ship (where I took the first photo from) so said to him we are going to that ship. I was also concerned at first where to go but it was very easy.

The port name will be printed on your ticket, but yes, access is easy from both sides. We stayed on the European side and our only worry was that the trunk of the taxi taking us to the port did not close properly. We held our breath the entire 10 minute ride down a very steep hill, trunk hatch banging open, envisioning the contents blowing down the hill behind us as the suitcases hit the pavement. Roads and sidewalks in Istanbul are in terrible condition…..worse, I think, on the European side. Beware. Potholes and debris everywhere. We hired a private guide who walked us all over the city. We specified no tourist sites. It was an amazing 2 days. If you can, walk up the Golden Horn through the old Greek section (the monastery there is still the head of the Greek Orthodox Church) and see the mosaics and frescoes at the Chora church. Right next door is the best restaurant in Istanbul. Forget the name, but you can't miss it. Have lunch outside. Very special.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a name for the cruise terminal or a pier #? Or do all the major cruise ships leave from the same terminal? Having never been there before, I woud like to be able to give a specific destination to my taxi driver.

Taxi from the airport is €50. We told the taxi driver to go to the cruise port and he knows where he was going. You will be able to see the ship on the way there from a distance. The dock is near the bridge and you can see it from both sides(Asian and European). There were other ships when we were there last July, including Princess and Celebrity.

Edited by Portiamac

• 2 weeks later...