Longflights/meals

vivian02

I just returned from my second long flight of the summer. (Long as in 6 hours or longer). The Europe trip was great but you have to watch out for possible delays and luggage issues. The meals are still there. Mean while back home things are really getting tackey as far as meals on flights. I can report that I did get a lunch on one airlines flying from Phoenix to Atlanta. It was the ear phones that cost five bucks if you wanted to watch entertainment. I declined.

On my flight to Anchorage last week getting ready for the Denver/Anchorage leg I ran into the usual one hour delay so I went and got a bite to eat as a percaustion. Once we were seated on the aircraft the lady sitting next to me confirmed that she had checked with the airline clerk before bording and was told "there would be a meal" since this was to be six hour flight into Anchorage. Can anyone guess just what happened? You guessed right there was a meal. The choice was between Turkey wrap and a special salad...$5.00. The clerk was correct there was a meal. I passed on the meal and took the free snacks. Sure glad I got the Hanburger before leaving Denver. I can say this the entertainment was free. No charge for the ear phones. Word of advice. On the next long trip by air "be prepared". Tim

Yeah, this happens ALL the time on ALL airlines now. Be prepared and bring something on-board. You don't have to buy the airline headphones in order to watch the movie, just bring your own on-board. Some airlines might have a meal service (no-charge), like in First Class and only international flights. I do like the United SnackBoxes (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51257,00.html) but for $5.00, it's a little too much. On Delta, you get complimentary meal service on Alaska and Hawaii flights, as well as international flights. Flying used to be very fancy and high-end. I remember Delta used to offer 5-Course Meals in International Business Class.

Any day over anything, I'd go for Continental First or BusinessFirst. Look at the menus:

http://www.continental.com/travel/inflight/businessfirst/dining/default.asp

-Chris

In December I am flying from Leeds/Bradford to Heathrow with BMI and there is food to purchase, then changing flight to Heathrow to Madrid with Iberia again food to purchase and then another flight from Madrid to Santiago de Chile with Iberia and breakfast and dinner are included. The same is on the return flights from Buenos Aires.

Seeing as my flight from Leeds/Bradford gets into Heathrow at teatime I shall have a bite to eat there before boarding the Madrid sector. The return sectors will be the same.

I love to fly on Qantas. We're trying to swing a trip to Australia in the next couple of years. Qantas service is outstanding. As an American, I was totally surprised by their open liquor policy, it was free to all passengers. I did have one Aussie sit by me on one trip, he had a huge bottle of Johnny Walker, said the drinks the flight attendants served were too small. The food in coach was outstanding, but we'd all look at the first class food and service. Wow, serving from real bowls with linen napkins on the arm. I'm not sure if Qantas has changed since 1994, but it was sure a pleasure to fly them to Sydney.

The American airlines, OTOH, are absymal. I flew to Miami a couple of years ago, redeemed my frequent flyer miles to fly first class. The coach passengers came into cabin, clutching a sack lunch (back when they gave coach passengers some sort of a real meal.) We had an excellent dinner in first class, but I've heard that Delta has since cut those meals according to some formula.

So when we fly to Ft Lauderdale in November, I will be packing snacks for the flight from Oakland - Salt Lake City - Ft Lauderdale. The flight is almost 5 hours from SLC to Ft Lauderdale, but still no meal. Cheap.

In December I am flying from Leeds/Bradford to Heathrow with BMI and there is food to purchase, then changing flight to Heathrow to Madrid with Iberia again food to purchase and then another flight from Madrid to Santiago de Chile with Iberia and breakfast and dinner are included. The same is on the return flights from Buenos Aires.

Seeing as my flight from Leeds/Bradford gets into Heathrow at teatime I shall have a bite to eat there before boarding the Madrid sector. The return sectors will be the same.

I don't know if this is now too late to be of any use, but if you book IB flight numbers on BA metal (BA-operated flights), you'll get BA service including free drinks and some food. All BA and IB flights now carry both BA and IB flight numbers, so it's just a question of picking the correct flights. Obviously, though, whether you can get on the right flight depends on availability and times.

I'm not sure if Qantas has changed since 1994, but it was sure a pleasure to fly them to Sydney.
Yes, it's changed a bit, but not that much. QF still do free food on domestic flights, and free alcoholic drinks on many of them. And there is of course free food and drinks on international flights - often of a pretty good standard considering how much cheaper it is to fly now than 10 years ago.

I flew on Delta a little over a month ago from SFO to HI and the free meal consisted of a bag being handed to you as you entered the plane. There was a turkey sandwich, two oreo cookies and an itty bitty bottle of Dasani water. It wasn't bad, but not great either.

Whenver I travel, I try to get some of thos e"lunchable" cold meals from the market. They are good, affordable and are super great for traveling.

Our standard approach now is to get those wonderful cryopacs at Costco that are sheets of mini freezer sacs that you can trim to fit any size, they fold over(for ice packs for injuries, too) and are reusable. I just wrap part of a sheet around my sandwich, pack some sliced apples, grapes, mini carrots and some cookies. It always tastes good compared to the craip they now sell. I used to pack this even when the food was "free", as I could eat whenever I wanted, not waiting for the slow food cart, and especially if they delayed or cancelled food service due to air turbulence. It all fits in a small enough collapsible cooler pack that it will fit in my carryon shoulder bag.

Archived