Ladies that Pack Light, Come In Please

crewsgirl

I'm back.

LAXflightoutfit_zps350d188f.jpg

Our last trip to Europe I wore an outfit very similar to that. I found a longish black super soft Calvin Klein tee and bought a pair of charcoal grey Lands End Starfish refined stretch pants, I also carried a thin black cardigan similar in style to this one (mine was long sleeved.) It was by far the most comfortable outfit I have found to fly in and I plan on dressing similarly for my next flight, I figure I will carry on my coat to throw on in order to get to the hotel and from there I can layer up against the cold.

WOW! Luv all the responses to this thread! Hope I haven't turned it into too much of a clothes thread versus luggage! :o

And on that note, I feel embarrassed because the pictures I posted earlier were outfits kinda like mine that I found on Pinterest. LOL So, tonight I took actual pictures of my clothes (some wrinkled and desperately needing ironed, etc) so forgive me for that.

So.... here is THE LUGGAGE... for the ENTIRE 16 days... my "purse" is my carry-on... it's huge and I love it. Everything is red, despite the poor cell phone quality photo except the purse has some pink in it. I have a small, skinny, black over-the-shoulder purse that I will take for touring. We also have a small daypack/backpack that my husband will wear while touring (with water, extra batteries, toilet paper for China, etc)...

8CC5D384-1A16-4632-9AFD-0CEC77FB29F6_zpsamxxjdrz.jpg

We usually always~always travel with school-size backpacks as our carry-ons but I really love my oversized purse and am considering changing this year...

Several of you mentioned the "big/heavy" coat as maybe not a good idea. This is my coat... (its is 100% red, not pink)

CB327F67-758F-4F56-B106-FFE1151FDF15_zpsrpnotjil.jpg

Beijing in December weather...

Average Temperature is -2 C /28 F

Average High is 4 C / 39 F

Average Low is -6 C /21 F

Time of Sunrise: 07:16

Time of Sunset: 16:50

I've read it is dry and windy and very cold, especially on The Great Wall. I love my Macy's coat and I think it will be great for a Christmas photo pic (hopefully taken on The Great Wall).

I could take this fleece jacket which is super hot in my opinion and definitely keeps me warm but I just don't think it will be enough for four days touring in Beijing... if you were wanting to pack light, be comfy and fashionable, and not look like the only person on the tour without a coat... what would you do??

4CD94E09-C163-4096-B179-C2041AA115B6_zpsksgrxlbd.jpg

Here are the "Yoga" pants (Target or Wal-Mart, I don't remember - I think this pair is from Wal-Mart). Super Comfy. I have them in three colors and I have two black pair. I do not wear these anywhere but walking the dog and around the house but they look perfectly acceptable for an international flight. I wore a pair of them to Ireland and back last year. They do not cling in the wrong places, they are boot cut (a must for me), they are not thin, they are amazingly comfortable and you are all correct... I'm nixing the jeans. I'm wearing them on the 13-hour flight to and fro China now. I can also wear them on some tour days as I agree with several other posts - the Chinese are very laid back in what they wear and I believe other members of our tour group may be wearing the same type of pants ~ one day we have an 11-hour tour to the Summer Palace, Forbidden City, etc etc.

9AB06F61-F84C-4DDA-95CC-62019436A931_zpsdw6zssxa.jpg

Here is the actual tunic... super comfy, lightweight, hides all the bumps and flaws, fashionable with the built-in cowl neck (no scarf really needed), and I can wear a long-sleeve t-shirt under it if it is cool outside or wear it as-is for Shanghai warmer-than-possibly-expected days. It is super-long ~ past my butt. I could actually wear it with black leggings and black ballet flats but that's probably not for me. Actually, now that I've been thinking about my outfits and packing with less-less-less... I think I'm going to make specific outfits (in my photobucket) and try to mix n match.. less is more. Maybe I can get there and back with one jeans, one pants, one Yoga pants (?? - I don't know - I LOVE my jeans). I'm so glad I found this thread.. my suitcase will thank me!

4983CA10-412E-42BB-87CA-059D63F90294_zpsu8yizxsv.jpg

Thank you to everyone for your responses, the more I read, the less I intend to pack and the more ideas I get.

I am replying to a couple of specific comments.

Just went to Shanghai in September - business trip, and my husband came with me so we did a few days vacation as well. For the flight, I wore Eileen Fisher ponte ankle pants and thin layers on top with a scarf. I could wear them for my meetings as well as for travel or touring. I always wear some sort of a knit pant on a plane -I don't tend to travel with denim (heavy to pack, if it gets wet takes too long to dry etc) And for me, leggings are not something I go out of the house in.

I Googled them. I like them. I have one pair like them that would look good with ballet flats but I'm not sure my not-so-thin legs would look okay in them. I'll have to do some test outfits.

Our 4 week trip through China in May:

ALL hotels (4 star) had complimentary toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, shampoo, conditioner, razor with shaving cream, of course good toilet paper, NO mouthwash except in one 5 star hotel.

Bring hand sanitizer and put toilet paper in your handbag. Paper and soap were usually not available in public restrooms.

I bought 4 (four) scarves in China. They had everything from high quality silk to fine wool to bargain price part silk and polyester. Scarves tend to be on the colorful side. The stores were located outside historic and other touristy sites ... after you go through.;) I had planned not to buy any souvenirs and my resistance broke down after a week. :D

China is very casual unless you are in business meetings or are invited to a wedding. 3 pairs of jeans seem excessive for 2 weeks. Jeans are heavy. On planes I always wear pants that stretch and can be worn afterwards as well, so no yoga type pants for me. Too form fitting.

Thank you for this info. I've got the toiletries down so we are good there.

I didnt even think about buying scarves in China. For some reason, my husband and I have this odd idea in our heads that there will be nothing to buy in China. Every time I read someone's trip report, they bought something I would never buy (I'm not a knick-knack person). Scarves, however, I always buy scarves... in almost every country!

As for the jeans, well, I LOVE my super-comfy jeans. I would rather wear jeans for touring all day than any pants. I will probably wear my yoga-type pants for the flights to and fro China and maybe for a touring day (or two), wear a pair of jeans on the flights from STL to LAX, and take that pair plus one more pair with me to China. Three pair of pants - that is plenty for three weeks.. I think?

I hope I don't get over there and think I don't have enough clothes!

Edited by CupKayke

By the way ~ for those of you have taken a River Cruise in China ~ I have read there may be a steep treck up and down to the dock with your carry-on in hand. Am I being superficial taking the big, pretty Coach bag that matches my suitcase?? Should I just stick to the backpack I've carted around comfortably the last couple of years??? :o

Jeans are perfectly fine for touring. Don't forget to bring your most comfortable walking shoes. I toured in sneakers most of the time.

As to Chongqing where our river cruise ended: Our suitcases were taken ashore by porters with bamboo poles. We only carried our hand luggage. Yes, it is a long way from the river to the shore and the steps are steep to go up to the street level where the buses are waiting. It may be easier when the river level is higher in winter. One more thing: The area is known for its mist and rain!

You are just like me when it comes to scarves. I have a collection from almost every country. LoL The best silk scarf from the government silk store in Shanghai (no bargaining), a scarf with one side silk and the other side soft wool from an ordinary souvenir shop in Turpan on the Silk Road (bargained). Maybe you can find a cashmere scarf! Another good souvenir is green tea. Buy the best (= most expensive) quality you can find if you are into tea like me.

For photos/outfits - I just use powerpoint! I've been reading the Vivienne Files blog for a while now and that's how she does her photos. It's super easy, and I can save a slide as a pdf if I want to upload my capsule wardrobe. Eg - attached is the wardrobe I just did for my husband (trying to teach him about mixing & matching & traveling light;))

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/

Milwaukee Oct 17-21 2014 Dane.pdf

By the way ~ for those of you have taken a River Cruise in China ~ I have read there may be a steep treck up and down to the dock with your carry-on in hand. Am I being superficial taking the big, pretty Coach bag that matches my suitcase?? Should I just stick to the backpack I've carted around comfortably the last couple of years??? :o

I plan to take a small rolling duffel, besides the 24" suitcase, for the trekking up the dock and long distances we'll need to cover walk in the Chinese airports. I am planning on one travel outfit to and from, wash there, dry and put away. A pair of comfy jeans, dressy jeans, ponte ankle pants, and possible a pair of black jeans. And enough tops to wear 2-3 times each. Scarves for sure and fun necklace for dress up in case.

I know, too much thinking and one throws in the extra pair just in case. Let us know what you finally decide and it may very well be my packing guide!!

For photos/outfits - I just use powerpoint!

Thank you so much! I found polyvore (thanks to this thread) and I LOVE IT! I am using it today, finally.

I plan to take a small rolling duffel, besides the 24" suitcase, for the trekking up the dock and long distances we'll need to cover walk in the Chinese airports. I am planning on one travel outfit to and from, wash there, dry and put away. A pair of comfy jeans, dressy jeans, ponte ankle pants, and possible a pair of black jeans. And enough tops to wear 2-3 times each. Scarves for sure and fun necklace for dress up in case.

I know, too much thinking and one throws in the extra pair just in case. Let us know what you finally decide and it may very well be my packing guide!!

I have changed my mind even since I last posted. I am leaning more and more toward packing light versus trying looking extra stylish or whatever one might call it. I have never taken the time to plan outfits for a trip before but our last trip I felt like I had nothing to wear and no planned clothes yet I was lugging-around a 50-plus-pound 29" suitcase everywhere. It was pure misery.

Jeans are perfectly fine for touring. Don't forget to bring your most comfortable walking shoes. I toured in sneakers most of the time.

As to Chongqing where our river cruise ended: Our suitcases were taken ashore by porters with bamboo poles. We only carried our hand luggage. Yes, it is a long way from the river to the shore and the steps are steep to go up to the street level where the buses are waiting. It may be easier when the river level is higher in winter. One more thing: The area is known for its mist and rain!

You are just like me when it comes to scarves. I have a collection from almost every country. LoL The best silk scarf from the government silk store in Shanghai (no bargaining), a scarf with one side silk and the other side soft wool from an ordinary souvenir shop in Turpan on the Silk Road (bargained). Maybe you can find a cashmere scarf! Another good souvenir is green tea. Buy the best (= most expensive) quality you can find if you are into tea like me.

Thank you very much for this information. I am going to do a COMPLETE test pack soonish. We leave in 36 days. I had forgot about scarves and tea ~ two of my favorite things!! I am now going to pack less scarves and plan to buy some in China. I have already put together a Ziploc bag of my favorite teas for cold days in China to take with me but now I will plan to bring some home, too.

Btw, I have decided I am NOT taking the oversized Coach purse as a carry-on bag. We were out of town all day yesterday and I was lugging it from bank to store to store and it was too heavy and uncomfortable. I am going to stay with my regular backpack (school-sized) I've had for years ~ I like all the pockets it offers, it is super easy to carry on my back, and it will probably hold more than the oversized purse plus it won't look like it. I am going to weigh it before we leave and hope I stay under 11 pounds.

Thank you for the Polyvore link! I LOVE IT!

Here are the outfits I created. I was able to find the same brands, same colors, same styles, etc of almost everything I own!! I even got some good ideas looking at items on that website.

Here is the outfit I plan to wear from STL to LAX for our first day of flying. Comfy, chic, and not too sloppy for 2, 2.5 hr flights...

7E1A4CEF-78BF-47C0-B45A-0F0140798567_zpshshyejoq.png

I will wear this top again on a touring day in Shanghai or off the river cruise with a jacket because it might not be cold in those cities ~ closer to high 50's or warmer if the weather continues as it has so far this year.

I will wear the ballet flats at night in the hotel rooms.

I will wear the jeans again on tour days.

Here is the outfit I have now decided will be the most comfy and the most practical for the 13 hour & 12 hour flights to/fro China...

E3B08274-C8B6-4846-BBCF-F4D88DE250C1_zpsxe55tyuo.png

I will wear the pants at night in the hotel rooms

I will wear the t-shirt probably again on the cruise or in Shanghai

I will wear the tennies for touring daily

I will wear the jacket on the cruise or in Shanghai if it is warmer than usual.

A scarf is a must for me on the plane so I'm going to keep it semi-casual with a cotton scarf (that's the fabric I prefer most anyway).

I have decided the backpack is more practical than the oversized Coach purse.

Here are two touring-day outfits... actual items I am taking and wearing. I plan to wear a pair of jeans and take a pair of jeans plus my Yoga pants. I will switch the jeans off and on each day for touring. Our cruise is not formal at night so no need to pack anything formal.

I have white, grey, blue, and black long-sleeve t-shirts - I plan to take 2 or 3 of them and switch-out scarves I'm wearing every day to change the look.

I'm taking my leopard scarf... well.... because I can and it won't change suitcase weight.

F9D9E060-5363-4B33-AAB3-CCD3E6CA1FEB_zps9qgyt5sc.png

68E62498-E96F-4E57-ACE8-A8D4C6DC9618_zpsv8ozr2g7.png

I feel much better putting the outfits on polyvore and moving things around. It makes more sense and I can see that I need to pack less and what will or won't match. My husband and I discussed not taking our big, heavy coats and we've decided to watch the weather and make our decision the week we leave. At this point, we do not need them... but 30 days from now... we may really need them in Beijing. We can carry them on over our arms if need be.

Ok, I have just checked back in on this thread as I have been continuing to think about packing lightly to maximize space. I did a trial run on a domestic flight with the scottevest and I placed the vest in the bin and walked through TSA. It was unbelievably easy. No unloading anything!

Then, sitting in the bulkhead seat, I had access to everything I needed, ipad, earbuds, lipstick, mints, ID, phone, & all cash, jewelry, etc and never had to drag out my purse. I will totally eliminate a tote bag wearing this vest and even my daughter was amazed that it was smooth and sleek appearing. SOLD, I will have hands free movement on our touring days in Amsterdam and beyond.

The DH is taking the tropiformer jacket with the magnetic de-tachable sleeves from Scottevest and stowable hood. He loved it, doubles as raingear.

OKay, so now I have to tell you about the awesome pants I found my DH, remember, he is going to do the entire trip on 2 pairs of pants, and he loves convertibles, but I think they are a bit too much of a hiker look.... but check these Bluff Works slacks. They arrived today and I can't wait for him to try them on. http://shop.bluffworks.com/products/wrinkle-free-pants-khaki

Pretty sure these are designed for the yuppie-uppie biking exec tech geek, but hey, the ole guy is going to rock these. Yep, an inside security zippered pocket in the front and a cell phone pocket in the back. Wash in the sink if you need to and dry in a flash. Plus they actually look dressy! ;)

I am on to researching the best lightweight shoes to wear. absolutely no trainers for me. Right now, Ahnu Karmas and my Eccos are leading the pack. I have Tory Burch Eddies that are my absolute favorite ballet flats, not sure they can stand the rigors of daylong touring.

Today, while shopping, I found the best travel jeans at SteinMart for an overnight long flight. Yep, knit jeans, but these were substantial, didn't feel thin or too cheap, but soooo soft. Look here, http://www.steinmart.com/bandolino-selene-pull-on-knit-to-fit-pants-zid25-53264727/cat-25-catid-knittofit?pla=pla_53264727%20&camp=ppc:PLA&kpid=53264727

These will go with me along with 1 pr black pants, 2 capris, 1 dress and mix/match with this capsule formula. http://ladylighttravel.com/2012/05/13/how-to-plan-a-travel-capsule-wardrobe-for-vacation/

I figure no one cares what you wear - except you - and I have gotten over that. Comfort rules !!

A new idea - wear a skirt. I take 2 - one lightweight rayon, one long corduroy. Lightweight for the plane and hike it up if it is warm. No need to lower it in the restroom avoiding the stuff on the floor.

Wear the heaviest stuff - shoes, jackets, Scottvest. Change on the plane and put it all in the overhead bin.

Call the airlines for the latest rules on size and weight. There have been recent changes that haven't gotten into their websites. When checking in overseas, I have had them tell me to put my carryon on the scale, even on American lines. Take a digital luggage scale - on travel websites about $20.

Relax and don't worry about your attire.

cb

Edited by cb222

I figure no one cares what you wear - except you - and I have gotten over that. Comfort rules !!

A new idea - wear a skirt. I take 2 - one lightweight rayon, one long corduroy. Lightweight for the plane and hike it up if it is warm. No need to lower it in the restroom avoiding the stuff on the floor.

Relax and don't worry about your attire.

Yes, nobody cares about fashion on an airplane!

But for me, the problem of a skirt would be that my legs might be cold on the plane. Of course, I'm not really a skirt person--I own a few, but rarely wear them.

No changes here. I haven't had time to look at Cruise Critic because my husband totalled his car, we bought a new car, and my laptop crashed. Geez. Anyway, I like my outfits, they are super comfy, I wear most of them to work off and on anyway, and I'm going with comfort above all else. The cold weather (its literally freezing here - awoke to 27 degrees Saturday morning) has reminded me how important it is that we take our coats so that's a done deal. Coats over our arms leaving LAX, on our backs arriving in Beijing. We will both take a lightweight jacket for the cruise and Shanghai, just in case we get a warm day or two. Layers is the key for both of us. We can rinse in the sink and wear items twice so our luggage stays under 44 pounds. I am now at the point where I simply need to get a test pack done and weigh everything. I bought a digital luggage scale a couple of months back so I'll check the carry-ons too.

We received our travel documents this week. A month from today we'll be flying from STL to LAX and the next day... we are headed for China! Four weeks. I can't believe how quickly time has flown. By the way, since this is a river cruise thread... I found it interesting that our travel documents show our flight arriving into Yichang, China (the closest town to the embarkation point of our cruise) at 7:30pm... then they take us to dinner at a local restaurant... then we board our river boat! I've never boarded ANY cruise at NIGHT so this should be interesting!!

Today, while shopping, I found the best travel jeans at SteinMart for an overnight long flight. Yep, knit jeans, but these were substantial, didn't feel thin or too cheap, but soooo soft. Look here, http://www.steinmart.com/bandolino-selene-pull-on-knit-to-fit-pants-zid25-53264727/cat-25-catid-knittofit?pla=pla_53264727%20&camp=ppc:PLA&kpid=53264727

/

I see the Steinmart link also has a picture of SEVEN jeans on it. Those are some super comfy jeans! I have a pair and I've worn them almost too much at this point.

I also like Maurice's jeans - inexpensive, EXTREMELY lightweight and they feel like you are wearing pants instead of jeans. Less weight in the suitcase and on your body. Someone at work sold me on them last year. Three pair of my Maurice's jeans weigh about the same as one pair of my husband's Arizona jeans.

No changes here. I haven't had time to look at Cruise Critic because my husband totalled his car, we bought a new car, and my laptop crashed. Geez. Anyway, I like my outfits, they are super comfy, I wear most of them to work off and on anyway, and I'm going with comfort above all else. The cold weather (its literally freezing here - awoke to 27 degrees Saturday morning) has reminded me how important it is that we take our coats so that's a done deal. Coats over our arms leaving LAX, on our backs arriving in Beijing. We will both take a lightweight jacket for the cruise and Shanghai, just in case we get a warm day or two. Layers is the key for both of us. We can rinse in the sink and wear items twice so our luggage stays under 44 pounds. I am now at the point where I simply need to get a test pack done and weigh everything. I bought a digital luggage scale a couple of months back so I'll check the carry-ons too.

We received our travel documents this week. A month from today we'll be flying from STL to LAX and the next day... we are headed for China! Four weeks. I can't believe how quickly time has flown. By the way, since this is a river cruise thread... I found it interesting that our travel documents show our flight arriving into Yichang, China (the closest town to the embarkation point of our cruise) at 7:30pm... then they take us to dinner at a local restaurant... then we board our river boat! I've never boarded ANY cruise at NIGHT so this should be interesting!!

Whoa! What a great trip you have planned! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures and I am certain you are going to be the most coordinated, comfortable fashionable lady on the ship! :) I definitely agree with comfort being the absolute most important feature for me too.

I also love, love, love Sierra Trading Post. I got beyond lucky and bought a fabulous Cole Hahn alpaca coat a few weeks ago! So, its always fun to see what they have, & while not practical for traveling, it is going to be beautiful to wear.

I have another world traveler friend and seriously, she has a totally different method. She shops at KMart for cheap minimal clothes and discards them on the trip after she wears them! Yikes :eek:, but it works for her, she has been all over the world, and comes home light as a feather and has room to bring home a few souvenirs! LOL!

I have also mailed home a box of dirty clothes to make room in the suitcase for impromptu shopping trips! And, the absolute worst....I had to buy a second suitcase in the airport when the check in agent weighed my bag and MADE me remove ~ 12 lbs of "stuff"! That was about the time that the airlines were getting really strict & started charging, etc, etc. Those episodes have been the motivation for learning to pack lightly & sticking to it. And, of course, the Holland America cruise when we took twice as many clothes as we needed and came home with so many garments that were totally unworn. Boo. What a waste.

Let's talk about your best comfort shoes for serious touring. What are they? Name the brands you love. Yesterday, I ventured to the shoe department just for the sole purpose of exploring all sizes, styles. I actually like the Keens. But I tried Clarks, Vionics, & Easy Spirits. :confused: What works for you & why?

Let's talk about your best comfort shoes for serious touring. What are they? Name the brands you love. Yesterday, I ventured to the shoe department just for the sole purpose of exploring all sizes, styles. I actually like the Keens. But I tried Clarks, Vionics, & Easy Spirits. :confused: What works for you & why?

I wear my sports sandals whenever possible, Tevas. I've just bought a new pair of New Balance walking shoes, my second pair, that I wear when I just can't wear sandals--I'm hoping they will be good for touring cobblestoned streets. I love New Balance because they come in wider widths, and my feet are shaped kind of like a duck's. Keen's are good for having a nice big toe box, but I have just tried one pair and they didn't have the support I needed. In the past, I had a number of pairs of Ecco shoes as well.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer