Ladies that Pack Light, Come In Please

crewsgirl

OK, I am back and checking in on this crew re: how to pack light! So, Got2Cruise, how was your fabulous trip this summer? Hope it was wonderful and you bring great hope for lightweight packing!

I have found the most PERFECT garment and you must know about it!

I bought the Scottevest! Yep, that's right, a travel vest with 18 pockets- a place for everything and everything in its place. You take it off at TSA and you're done. It's the BOMB!

Check this out: http://http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_womens_products.shtml

This is how I am going to pack lightly ladies! :D

Another poster on this forum, Ukelady, bought one for her River cruise and said it really worked well for her. She mentioned liking the hands free aspect. Certainly worth considering.

OK, I am back and checking in on this crew re: how to pack light! So, Got2Cruise, how was your fabulous trip this summer? Hope it was wonderful and you bring great hope for lightweight packing!

I have found the most PERFECT garment and you must know about it!

I bought the Scottevest! Yep, that's right, a travel vest with 18 pockets- a place for everything and everything in its place. You take it off at TSA and you're done. It's the BOMB!

Check this out: http://http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_womens_products.shtml

This is how I am going to pack lightly ladies! :D

Interesting concept but would not work for how I pack/dress.

I bought my DH a very similar vest as he carts around a lot of photography pieces and parts when we travel. It was pricey and I thought it looked like a great idea. Three years and many trips later, it still sits in his closet with the tags on. :(

Nope, no clothing full of pockets for me. Not my style (sartorially or packing-wise). I'll take a bag, thanks.....Nice to have so many options, but that doesn't do it for me at all.

On the other hand, I have no problem doing a bit of laundry before I head off to dinner every night and I know loads of people who state they will NOT do laundry on vacation. To each his/her own:D

Nope, no clothing full of pockets for me. Not my style (sartorially or packing-wise). I'll take a bag, thanks.....Nice to have so many options, but that doesn't do it for me at all.

On the other hand, I have no problem doing a bit of laundry before I head off to dinner every night and I know loads of people who state they will NOT do laundry on vacation. To each his/her own:D

I do a bit of laundry as well in the evenings. Helps with packing light. AMA has a clothesline in their showers and I make good use of it.

You realize you can't actually see the pockets, only ones you can see are the two on each side to stuff your hands into.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You realize you can't actually see the pockets, only ones you can see are the two on each side to stuff your hands into.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't like bulk and tend to wear form fitting clothes. I can see where this would be handy for some but it is not my personal style. And I don't carry so much that it cannot easily fit in a small cross body bag for my daily outings.

I'm another Scotvest fan. We tend to cruise in fall and I normally wear a jacket anyway, so the vest is always there. It's really not like the khaki photographer vests, although if you put something in EVERY pocket (especially a water bottle and umbrella) it can get bulky.

I love the separate ID card pocket (room card, credit card), the zippered space for cash, separate space for passport, the tiny coin pocket, the cloth to clean your glasses in the glasses pocket, the elastic that holds lip balm (or lipstick). My phone fits in the pocket over my chest, and there's even the special tiny pocket for extra photo memory cards.

I guess if I cruised in summer and wore dresses when touring, or didn't normally have outerwear I may not wear it as often as I do. I brought it with me to Hawaii this summer and only wore it on our Volcano National Park day, but it was nice to have all my things handy (literally) and not have a backpack or purse when out on trails for several hours.

I guess if I cruised in summer and wore dresses when touring, or didn't normally have outerwear I may not wear it as often as I do. I brought it with me to Hawaii this summer and only wore it on our Volcano National Park day, but it was nice to have all my things handy (literally) and not have a backpack or purse when out on trails for several hours.

The idea of the vest intrigues me. We travel in spring, summer and fall and I can't imagine wearing another layer lined with pockets all day, as I am usually far too warm. Taking it off would not be a viable option. I enjoy having my hands free, and the peace of mind regarding security, but for the price of the vest I think I'll invest in one or two more pac safe purses.

Can't remember if my handbag is Pacsafe or Travelon, but I love it! It's lightweight but has lots of room for electronics, passports, wallet, whatever.

...We pack a "drugstore" for just in case and pretty much always use something. Then we have our vitamins, prescriptions, iPad, chargers for phones and it goes on and on. How can you pack clothes and the incidentals in a small carryon? Then the return trip with the souvenirs for you and family???

My attitude is that in most places there's a drugstore nearby. On a cruise ship that's not always true (and they charge shocking prices), and in third world countries. But other places, I keep it to a minimum--just some essentials like painkillers and itch cream (everything bites me). I even eliminate the vitamins, or take them in a ziplock to save space. Even the electronics can be minimized--most of our chargers these days are interchangeable--one or two will do. Drop in a couple of power adapters for Europe or wherever, and you're good to go. (And my nice new, large-screened smartphone does double-duty surfing the web and as my e-reader when travelling--I leave my tablet at home!)

... My first cruise, we had 10, yes 10 bags between me and my husband....

We are doing a weekend trip soon and will have 2-4 bags.

Wow, that must have been a sight! For my first dozen cruises I also severely overpacked. Different outfits for every night, suit for my husband, too many shoes. That has all changed.

We JUST got back from a 10-day cruise in Tahiti, including a 3-day pre-cruise stay plus a family visit to L.A. We managed quite well with a pair of rollaboards, plus two smaller carry-ons, one for electronics, pills, etc., the other a large beach bag with water shoes, snorkeling gear, etc. The rollaboards could easily be checked if required by an airline, but in fact we carried them aboard except for our puddle jumper flight to Moorea--it was great being able to just walk out of the airport! And we came home with clean clothes!

I see this thread was started back in April but I like the ideas... my husband and I have been traveling together internationally for 7 years and I am slowly but surely learning to pack less ~ even for long (2-3 week) overseas trips.

In 2008 we went to Canada for a week and took one suitcase each, no carry-on, just a small purse. We've taken several trips in the US - a flight from MO to FL for a 7 night trip to Orlando - with one carry-on each.

However, internationally, I have done badly and finally, last year, I learned my lesson. I took a 29" suitcase that was constantly tipping the scales at 50 pounds and I nearly broke my arm pulling that stupid thing everywhere. NEVER AGAIN. I gave it away the week we returned! (My husband had one too!)

We are leaving for China for 2 weeks in <45 days. This year, we both have new lightweight 24" suitcases - spinners. He will have a backpack (small). I will have a "fashionable" purse (large). We will never be carry-on only people for international trips but we will be under 44 pounds for both 24" suitcases as we have several intra-China flights and that is their weight restriction for checked bags. Their carry-on weight restriction is 11 pounds and we will be under that, too (hopefully). Also, for China, they do not allow ANY liquids in carry-ons on intra-China flights... even a quart bag with 2 ounce bottles of saline solution, etc... nope... they make you throw them away!

I'm going to do a COMPLETE packing test in about two weeks. So far, here's the plan:

* a mini pharmacy (its China and its a necessity for us) - one gallon-size bag per suitcase will contain everything from immodium to extra toothbrushes to Listerine, shampoo, deodorant, saline solution, etc

* wear black leggings on plane, take 2, maybe 3 pair of jeans and approx. 5 tops and several scarfs (me)

*wear jeans on plane, take 2 more pair of jeans and take approx 5 tops (him)

He is wearing the same super-comfy brown leather-type shoes for the entire trip.

The remainder of our suitcase will have essentials (socks/undies) and "we-would-only-pack-for-China" things - snacks & toilet paper. I'm actually anticipating having extra room in both of our suitcases!

Btw, we always do half his clothes in "my" suitcase and half my clothes in "his" suitcase plus we both always carry-on one pair of jeans, one top, one undies, two socks each... just in case the luggage gets lost or delayed. Our carry-ons will have the Kindles, my tiny laptop, the Iphone & chargers, 2 small umbrellas, spare set of clothes each, etc. Because we are traveling in the cold month of December, we will both have one big, heavy coat each wrapped over our arms for the flights. I plan to put gloves, & earmuffs in the pockets of these coats and wrap our winter scarves around the collars. I'm fairly certain winter coats are just "extras" that the airlines allow and do not count toward anything as they are essential for Beijing in December.

My next post is going to have outfit ideas... because that's where I am always debating what to do or not do.... I am one of those that wants to be a bit fashionable but extremely comfortable so I always overthink my outfits, especially the international flight outfits!!

I'm back. My computer is running at a snails pace today!! Grrrrr

So, I'm always reconsidering my plane outfits. I want to be comfortable, fashionable, and reasonable... a tricky mix when you're trying to keep your luggage lightweight!

We have a full day of flying from the Midwest to LAX the day before our international flight - over 7 hours between two flights from St Louis to Denver then Denver to LAX. We are flying First Class this day so I don't want to totally slum it... here is the idea for the first flight day...

LAXflightoutfit_zps350d188f.jpg

I'm fairly certain I will wear jeans (not black leggings), ballet flats, a very long short-sleeve grey/black top (with a turtle-neck rolled-color built-in (no scarf needed but I may add a long leopard one?) and I may or may not take a black sweater/jacket (like above). I'm very confused about this day - trying to be comfy and chic at the same time. Planes are tough becauses sometime they are super cool and you are glad you have a sweater/jacket but last year on our flight to Ireland it was actually HOT and we were in "Economy Plus" with Delta so we weren't crammed-in like sardines and it was still uncomfortable. I had on black walking pants (maybe they were too thick?) and a thin, long-sleeved white t-shirt. Now, I'm concerned about being hot on a flight again. I am not thin so I carry my extra layers of warmth under my skin as it is....

And outfit # 2.... for flight day #2....

ChinaFlightOutfit_zps0d2d3afb.jpg

We are flying from LAX to Beijing ~ 13 hours flight time so we are looking at 17 hours when you include airport time. We are flying economy. I'm definitely going to be sitting by a stranger.( Eh) I want to be comfortable, above all else. I change my mind about this flight every day. Jeans are very comfy for me and I have some super comfy jeans that look almost like these... but I have black walking pants I may wear that are basically “designer” sweats. I think I'm wearing my tennies (I'll slip them off once the flight starts, I always carry extra socks for this one reason). I can wear a short-sleeve t-shirt and take a lightweight sweatshirt-type jacket like the one above (mine is pink).

Has anyone noticed that if I stick to the plan above that I am now carrying a BIG, HEAVY coat for China touring outside (think snow on The Great Wall), plus a sweater/jacket for the STL to LAX flight (comfy but chic), and then my super-comfy pink sweatshirt-type jacket for the 13 hour flight?? All these jackets are making me rethink my plane outfits because.. really... are they necessary?? I sorta think so but maybe not?! It's hard to pack light when you think about "outfits" and not wanting to be extreme casual 100% of the time. I may just wear my short-sleeve tops on the planes and take a hooded sweatshirt in my extra-large purse/carry-on bag, to slip-on if I get cold??

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? I may change my mind ten times between now and when we leave! Would love to see/hear what others wear on super long flights. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a completely comfortable international flight.

Cupkayke, I am really interested in your posts because I will be heading to China in April for 2 weeks. So I know what you are facing.

Also heard about the liquids. As to the coats/jackets for flight, I would wear the T and use a hooded fleece sweater. Love the brown purse? Looking forward to other suggestions you may be receiving.

I also will travel with my 24" suitcase and a 19" rolling duffel carry on. My daybag will be a small backpack with the tp! And, pepto bis. chewables. The chewables came in so wonderfully on my recent trip to Turkey!!

cupkayke-I think I would use the same sweater/sweatshirt both days to China. Won't it be chilly in ST Louis in Dec? Good luck! I'm usually a good light packer domestically but going on 1st cruise ever next April so I may find that more challenging.

I think I'll invest in one or two more pac safe purses.

I bought a cross body messenger PAC safe - actually when it arrived I liked it so much I ordered a bit bigger version for my flight carry on - from Sierra Trading Post. They had one purse too. Great prices when combined with coupon and free shipping.

Cupcake I wouldn't worry to much about wearing nicer clothes in first class. Dress for comfort but neat. A nice shawl can keep you cozy and cover up you simple clothes. Personally I wouldn't wear jeans on such an long flight. It would be uncomfortable for me. Have you considered leggings and a tunic? Look at some travel clothes catalogues such as Travel Smith or Chicos for some ideas. Have a great time.

Just went to Shanghai in September - business trip, and my husband came with me so we did a few days vacation as well. For the flight, I wore Eileen Fisher ponte ankle pants and thin layers on top with a scarf. I could wear them for my meetings as well as for travel or touring. I always wear some sort of a knit pant on a plane -I don't tend to travel with denim (heavy to pack, if it gets wet takes too long to dry etc) And for me, leggings are not something I go out of the house in.

(this is an old thread - can't remember if I posted my capsule wardrobe for my December river cruise? I'm re-working it still so maybe next month I will repost :p)

He is wearing the same super-comfy brown leather-type shoes for the entire trip.

I would never travel on a trip like this with just one pair of shoes. I take two good pair of walking shoes and switch off. My feet are much happier. And should something happen to one pair I have a back up.

Just went to Shanghai in September - business trip, and my husband came with me so we did a few days vacation as well. For the flight, I wore Eileen Fisher ponte ankle pants and thin layers on top with a scarf. I could wear them for my meetings as well as for travel or touring. I always wear some sort of a knit pant on a plane -I don't tend to travel with denim (heavy to pack, if it gets wet takes too long to dry etc) And for me, leggings are not something I go out of the house in.

(this is an old thread - can't remember if I posted my capsule wardrobe for my December river cruise? I'm re-working it still so maybe next month I will repost :p)

I like knits as well, for both on the plane and for touring as well as evenings. They pack well, wash easily and are not heavy. I pack layers for maximum flexibility. A variety of cami's are always in my packing cube, as are my half zips which I wear most days for walking around over a cami. I also pack a couple of turtlenecks for cold weather trips.

I do wear leggings and have a few pair of high quality black leggings; several are in substantial ponte knit. I wear these with a longer knit sweater on the plane and with a variety of tops and boots on the boat and for touring. I would never wear jeans on a plane personally.

I am monitoring the weather for our trip in 3 weeks. It is unseasonably warm in Paris and Provence at the moment but anything can happen between now and then. Layers are the best option for handling wide swings in temperature.

As for coats, I never pack anything big or heavy. High quality packable down is my travel choice for cold temps. I have a jacket and a full length coat. The jacket fits into a small space bag and weighs nothing. I carry the coat on the plane. I was warm and comfy in snow and cold in the Alps in dead of winter with my Sorel boots and packable down. And it repels moisture and weighs almost nothing.

Edited by caviargal

I like knits as well, for both on the plane and for touring as well as evenings. They pack well, wash easily and are not heavy. I pack layers for maximum flexibility. A variety of cami's are always in my packing cube, as are my half zips which I wear most days for walking around over a cami. I also pack a couple of turtlenecks for cold weather trips.

I do wear leggings and have a few pair of high quality black leggings; several are in substantial ponte knit. I wear these with a longer knit sweater on the plane and with a variety of tops and boots on the boat and for touring. I would never wear jeans on a plane personally.

I am monitoring the weather for our trip in 3 weeks. It is unseasonably warm in Paris and Provence at the moment but anything can happen between now and then. Layers are the best option for handling wide swings in temperature.

As for coats, I never pack anything big or heavy. High quality packable down is my travel choice for cold temps. I have a jacket and a full length coat. The jacket fits into a small space bag and weighs nothing. I carry the coat on the plane. I was warm and comfy in snow and cold in the Alps in dead of winter with my Sorel boots and packable down. And it repels moisture and weighs almost nothing.

FYI. 12c today and tomorrow in Macon.

We are leaving for China for 2 weeks in <45 days. one gallon-size bag per suitcase will contain everything from immodium to extra toothbrushes to Listerine, shampoo, deodorant, saline solution, etc

* wear black leggings on plane, take 2, maybe 3 pair of jeans and approx. 5 tops and several scarfs (me)

... snacks & toilet paper. I'm actually anticipating having extra room in both of our suitcases!

Our 4 week trip through China in May:

ALL hotels (4 star) had complimentary toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, shampoo, conditioner, razor with shaving cream, of course good toilet paper, NO mouthwash except in one 5 star hotel.

Bring hand sanitizer and put toilet paper in your handbag. Paper and soap were usually not available in public restrooms.

I bought 4 (four) scarves in China. They had everything from high quality silk to fine wool to bargain price part silk and polyester. Scarves tend to be on the colorful side. The stores were located outside historic and other touristy sites ... after you go through.;) I had planned not to buy any souvenirs and my resistance broke down after a week. :D

China is very casual unless you are in business meetings or are invited to a wedding. 3 pairs of jeans seem excessive for 2 weeks. Jeans are heavy. On planes I always wear pants that stretch and can be worn afterwards as well, so no yoga type pants for me. Too form fitting.

Edited by Floridiana

This thread is awesome. We have traveled all over and I have found that cleaning my closet before a trip works great. During the year I keep a bin of clothes to give away. When it is time to pack I go through the bin and use what items I can. I usually discard/give away these clothes as I go-mostly at the end since I re-wear most outfits. Then, I have room for any items we have picked up. My friends have started 'donating' to my bin. This past year a friend donating a great pair of nike tennis shoes. I texted her pictures from every country her shoes walked in!

Also Lululemon and Athletica have great traveling pants. They are light weight and tie so they can be capris or pants. These I keep. Comfy long haul pants are hard to find!!

This thread is awesome. We have traveled all over and I have found that cleaning my closet before a trip works great. During the year I keep a bin of clothes to give away. When it is time to pack I go through the bin and use what items I can. I usually discard/give away these clothes as I go-mostly at the end since I re-wear most outfits. Then, I have room for any items we have picked up. My friends have started 'donating' to my bin. This past year a friend donating a great pair of nike tennis shoes. I texted her pictures from every country her shoes walked in!

Also Lululemon and Athletica have great traveling pants. They are light weight and tie so they can be capris or pants. These I keep. Comfy long haul pants are hard to find!!

Lululemon and Athleta have good quality dresses, sweaters and tops as well. I like both brands. High quality black yoga pants are my go to for wearing on the plane and around the boat and both these labels have some that are very nice. I pair them with boots, black fitted turtleneck and pashmina and am good to go.

I have heard that some people pack with clothes they discard as they go. For me, that just would not work as I pack my favorites for traveling, and enjoy fashion as well as practicality.