Can TAs Still Discount?

custompcsys

I've been away from cruising since 2010, but I will be jumping back in on the Caribbean Princess this August. Some time ago I remember reading that Princess was going to stop allowing TAs to discount cruises, so when I booked this cruise I just did it direct without a TA. When I was cruising 1-2 times a year I always did it through a TA as I got better pricing and found one who gave me very good service. It was a win-win, but unfortunately she is no longer there.

As I've been reading posts on CC I've seen a couple of mentions about TA discounted pricing. Can TAs still discount? If so it might be worth finding a new TA and transferring my booking.

Thanks! :)

Yes, TAs can discount as much as they're willing to and still remain in business. Many don't, however. What changed three years ago is that TAs can no longer advertise or promote discounted fares so if you go to different websites, they should all have the same fare. Some TAs give you a nice big OBC but charge you full price, some discount 10-20% and give you OBC and perks, and some are the same as booking directly with Princess. You'll get the TAs fare by asking for a quote.

I suggest you work with more than one TA as a TA will not always be able to offer the best pricing for every cruise. Secure quotes from two or three reputable TAs who discount before you commit.

Lew

Thanks guys for clearing this up. I will definitely see what a TA can do for this cruise.

Oh and Lew, I noticed your from Burlington....I lived 45 min from you for 10 years in Johnson :) Moved down to Florida 2 years ago, got tired of snow, cold, mud season, and taxes!

Oh and Lew, I noticed your from Burlington....I lived 45 min from you for 10 years in Johnson :) Moved down to Florida 2 years ago, got tired of snow, cold, mud season, and taxes!
God's country (VT, not FL) in spite of the snow, cold, mud season, black flies, etc. There are many beautiful parts of the US but if you haven't visited VT, you're missing out. As Lew knows, my family had a home in Dorset (near Manchester) for over 35 years and my Dad is buried there. Every time I head back East, I try to visit VT. Which isn't often enough.

I suggest you work with more than one TA as a TA will not always be able to offer the best pricing for every cruise. Secure quotes from two or three reputable TAs who discount before you commit.

Lew

Totally agree with you. We have one TA who gives us great prices on Princess cruises but not so great for Celebrity:(. Our other TA gives the great prices on Celebrity:D....it's a win-win situation for us.!