The BOGO sale

To those people saying it isn't deceptive, did you immediately realize the price had already been discounted?

I did. However, I was watching the cruise price before the sale. It was running $1022 for a D2. So, when I saw the price, I knew the discount was already applied.

In thinking about it, if I hadn't already known the price, I probably wouldn't have known.

Our travel agent emailed me yesterday and our 11 night Alaskan Cruisetour in July 2015 on the Radiance went down by $800 per cabin. We have 2 adjoining inside cabins and saved $1600. Was considering upgrading one to a balcony but decided that using and additional $1600 for excursions was the way to go. Glad our TA was on top of things!

The BOGOHO sale helped us a great deal. When I heard about the sale, I checked the RCCL website for the 2015 Freedom of the Seas cruise for which we already are booked. When I saw that the price of the cruise actually had gone up, I assumed the sale would be a waste of time. But as I went through the booking process, I found that when the discounts were applied, I could save over $400. The challenge was getting through to RCCL. I was on hold over an hour but it was well worth it!

Well the sale worked for me! The cost of my cruise was fair, I'd say (or I wouldn't have gone ahead and booked), but this sale allowed me to go from window to balcony for only $90pp.

This was the first time I used a TA for booking. I was thinking I wasn't really getting anything by doing so. After reading about the exorbitant wait times for the price adjustments, I was glad I could leave it to him to deal with.

In my case I was actively watching my Oasis May 2015 sailing for the past few months. I did see a savings of $ 230.00 with the new BOGO sale.

My price for a triple balcony cabin was:

3276.00 - past guest discount

2970.00 - past guest and residency discounts

2883.00 - new bogo sale only

2740.00 - new bogo sale and past guest :)

In the past, Paxs have been complaining that RCL should show the discounted prices on their website, especially to the savings certs & balcony discounts--now they are reflecting the net pricing, excluding taxes & fees, and Paxs are still complaining. What to do?

Speaking of NCC's, please be careful, especially during the BOGOHO promotion. Once the NCC was applied while making a booking with the RCCL Agent, the cost of the cruise increased by $12.22 p/p. I asked the RCCL Agent why the actual booked cost increased by a total of $24.44, even though he quoted a lower price (and I viewed the lower price by creating a "dummy" reservation on-line), he attributed the increase to a tax on the NCC. WHAT??? He noted that the only way to possibly resolve the issue was to submit an email to the Revenue Dept, which he did. As for now however, based on an increased cruise fare as a result of a supposed "NCC tax", the net result of using my NCC basically equates to a decrease in my OBC amount by approx. $25. FYI, I used one of the "older" NCC's......... RCCL does it again!

Speaking of NCC's, please be careful, especially during the BOGOHO promotion. Once the NCC was applied while making a booking with the RCCL Agent, the cost of the cruise increased by $12.22 p/p. I asked the RCCL Agent why the actual booked cost increased by a total of $24.44, even though he quoted a lower price (and I viewed the lower price by creating a "dummy" reservation on-line), he attributed the increase to a tax on the NCC. WHAT??? He noted that the only way to possibly resolve the issue was to submit an email to the Revenue Dept, which he did. As for now however, based on an increased cruise fare as a result of a supposed "NCC tax", the net result of using my NCC basically equates to a decrease in my OBC amount by approx. $25. FYI, I used one of the "older" NCC's......... RCCL does it again!

Not with mine. I confirmed the quote prior to calling my TA. Got the $100 OBC from my ncc and my TA gave us $150 in add'l obc's and dinner for 2, up to $60, at a specialty restaurant.

Sorry...I don't see how it would be bait & switch when the prices & discount are clearly shown online...just check on the pricing detail and it breaks everything down...

its not a bait and switch but certainly a tricky tactic. its like raising the price in a clothing store than marking everything 50percent off

Not with mine. I confirmed the quote prior to calling my TA. Got the $100 OBC from my ncc and my TA gave us $150 in add'l obc's and dinner for 2, up to $60, at a specialty restaurant.

nelblu,

You may have misunderstood. There is NO problem with the OBC. My point was, since we need to pay an additional $25 over the quoted amount for use of the NCC, that additional cost is tantamount to basically paying the quoted price, but reducing the OBC by $25. FYI, we DID receive the quote in advance via email, and same was confirmed by the RCCL Booking Agent prior to booking. However, when he entered the NCC reservation #, the overall cost increased by $12.22 p/p for the taxes.

Call it what you want, but any savings over original booking is a plus in my book! The bottom line is what counts and ours was $750 savings.

A new booking made yesterday saved us over $850 if not for the promo, factor in our D+ and it added up to a savings over $1100. ;)

I just went to book a cruise on March 28th, 2015 Oasis of the Seas on Royal's website. For a JS the price at the beginning of booking is 1707pp, after selecting the cabin the price jumps to 2438pp with a discount of 731pp. Yes, after the discount the price is 1707, however, they make it sound like the discount would apply to the 1707. I would rather they posted the 2438 as the starting price.

In the end the 1707pp isn't even the BOGO sale. If I jump over to AAA and book the BOGO sale, the first person is 2438 and the second person is 1218. The AAA BOGO price turns out to be more than the non BOGO discount that Royal is giving me at 1707pp.

I am a loyal Royal cruiser and brag to friends and family about them, but this pricing is just weird. It's not really a sale to me because I've been watching the price and if the discount was off of the 1707, then it would be a sale, but to increase the price and then discount it back to what it has been is not a sale.

I just went to book a cruise on March 28th, 2015 Oasis of the Seas on Royal's website. For a JS the price at the beginning of booking is 1707pp, after selecting the cabin the price jumps to 2438pp with a discount of 731pp. Yes, after the discount the price is 1707, however, they make it sound like the discount would apply to the 1707. I would rather they posted the 2438 as the starting price.

In the end the 1707pp isn't even the BOGO sale. If I jump over to AAA and book the BOGO sale, the first person is 2438 and the second person is 1218. The AAA BOGO price turns out to be more than the non BOGO discount that Royal is giving me at 1707pp.

I am a loyal Royal cruiser and brag to friends and family about them, but this pricing is just weird. It's not really a sale to me because I've been watching the price and if the discount was off of the 1707, then it would be a sale, but to increase the price and then discount it back to what it has been is not a sale.

I'm confused by the prices you posted. If the average per person price with Royal was $1,707 I get that. But if you looked at AAA and the first person pays $2438 and the second is paying $1,218, then the average per person price is $1,828. So it appears that AAA is actually higher.

The BOGO sale worked out great for us. We originally booked our Feb 14, 2015 Indy cruise mid march of just this year (our original NCL Pearl cruise was cxld due to a charter). We are booked in a D1 balcony. shortly after we booked the price went down $160 so we got that price adjustment. The fare stayed the same when this promo started so we got an additional $685 off passenger 2 and for passenger 1 we got the Diamond discount. Rather amussing that the 2nd passenger price was less than the 3rd and 4th passenger price. ( we have 2 children). I have to say, for an 8 night cruise, with 2 children, on RCCL during February vacation week, this cruise was a steal especially since RCCL typically is much higher priced than NCL.

RCCL pricing has certainly becme a lot more confusing and you need to compare all options. In addition to the BOGO rates you should probably compare the C&A exclusive rates. Depending on the cruise and the category you need to consider residency, balcony discounts and 55+ discounts as well as any other discounts you might have.

This wasn't the case for me. My TA quoted me a price on 4/28 and the first person price was exactly that when I booked on 5/1, but the 2nd was 1/2 price.

I won't question your loyalty...I'm disappointed too!! This "sale" is no sale. Just an industry gimmick to get you on the website and looking at cruises. I have two cruises booked for next April. I checked out the WOW BOGO rates and the rates actually went UP for both cruises. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know definitively what happens if you book as a single while the BOGO sale is in effect and then change to a double later on after it has expired? I understand from another thread that a single does get the 50% discount on the single occupancy surcharge. But would that allow the second person to keep the 50% off when added? If not, then RCI may have figured out a way to prevent people from saving on the deposit by booking a single and not adding a second person until final payment is due.

I'm guessing they've run this promo before. Does anyone know how it worked then?