Shoes/boots for land tours

tinykygal

I love merrill's and keen. I need the rounded toe for my feet. I took waterproof Keen's low cut and Merrill's (sprayed) on our last cruise to Alaska. I don't care for wet feet either.

What a bout Totes.....They are ugly but tiny to pack and carry even in a small bag that you would use for shore excursions. You can put them on over your shoes if you need to, better than wet feet.

Totes is an excellent idea! I too was wondering what footwear to bring for our cruise and post cruise independent land tour. My sneakers (tennis shoes some call them) are porous and I'd hate to get them wet and be stuck with wet sneakers but I didn't want to have to bring any other heavy footwear i.e. boots. Just ordered the totes. I'll see what they're like and then maybe get some for H too! June 14th can't get here fast enough. Second cruise to Alaska and had hardly a drop of rain last year. Hopefully this year too but I know that was unusual so planning for rain.

I also bought a bunch of rain ponchos in Ocean State Job lot for $1 each(a New England store but can probably find in most dollar stores). Very light and in compact packaging so don't take up much room. Can throw them away after if they get soaked.

P and Barry, can you share the style #?

I have learned to pack light but since we have to have luggage for land tour and luggage for cruise, I am stressing out.

I packed by back pack, which DH dislikes, with enough clothes and 2 pr of shoes for 2 days LOL

I so do not want to take up room for boots.

I am ashamed that I am over reacting for our first Alaska trip

It is the unknown.

How do they react in wet weather. I have a pair of inexpensive Clark's walking saddles and once broken in, are the most comfortable shoes I own

Like you I didn't want to spend a lot of money on waterproof shoes so I purchased a can of water proof spray from Cabella's and gave my favorite Clarks walking shoes a good spray with it. That was for the first Alaskan Cruise in 2009.

Repeated the spraying two more times. That pair of shoes had a better coating of waterprooking than the pair of waterproof shoes that my DH had purchased the previous year to wear hunting.

It worked for me - give it a try - don't think you will have too much to lose if you try it.

Have a great trip.

Okie

Edited by Okie1946

I have never felt the need for a pair of hiking boots. Even hiking at Mendenhall glacier to the falls, Sneakers are fine. I pack a couple pairs of pumas for walking and then I have an extra in case 1 pair gets wet. But even in Ketchikan in the rain all day, these shoes were fine. I would only consider packing big heavy boots only if you are planning to hike rugged trails in every port.

Eaglecw, mind sharing what shoes you use?

Thanks

We just wear athletic shoes around the ship and in port. I sprayed waterproofing on mine but we lucked out and didn't have any rain when we were up there last year. The main thing is wear comfortable shoes for lots of walking. :)

Edited by Eaglecw

I've been battling this question as well. I wanted something waterproof but not over the top hiking boots because

A. We won't be hiking

B. The room and weight they'd take up.

I searched and came up with the same solution as Okie 1946. Clarks Wave Trek is shaped like a sneaker, but they look more like a hiking boot. They're waterproof, and I really like the look of them. I will certainly wear them around in the spring and fall. I was waiting to order them so I could go to the store and try them on first. I did that last evening and they were heavenly. It seems as if they will not need any break in period.

I normally will not spend that much on shoes, but Clarks is a pretty good brand and I think these shoes will be useful for quite a long time.

Here's a link:

http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/wave_trek/26061362

Heidi

Thank you for your suggestions. I still haven't made a move. We won't be doing any rugged hiking, never have, but not going to miss the opportunity around the lodges.

Taking 2 pr of sneakers sounds more like it. 😄

I have seen many recommendations for Smart Wool socks, but I think I may find some nice wicking socks at Tractor Supply.

DH made an intelligent statement: If it is raining that hard, we aren't getting out in it .

I thought I would be the only one with footwear questions on this forum.

I've read that your socks are just as important as your footwear while hiking.

Any recommendations on socks for hiking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

SmartWool - they make socks for everyday life and for hiking. Granted they do cost a little more BUT are well worth the expense.

Okie

I've been battling this question as well. I wanted something waterproof but not over the top hiking boots because

A. We won't be hiking

B. The room and weight they'd take up.

I searched and came up with the same solution as Okie 1946. Clarks Wave Trek is shaped like a sneaker, but they look more like a hiking boot. They're waterproof, and I really like the look of them. I will certainly wear them around in the spring and fall. I was waiting to order them so I could go to the store and try them on first. I did that last evening and they were heavenly. It seems as if they will not need any break in period.

I normally will not spend that much on shoes, but Clarks is a pretty good brand and I think these shoes will be useful for quite a long time.

Here's a link:

http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/wave_trek/26061362

Heidi

I got lucky and found my Clarks though Amazon - they were about $25.00 to $40.00 cheaper and because they were over a certain price the shipping was free. The last pair I got for $65.00. Only problem, you have to hurry because prices do change depending on demand.

I know we spend a lot of time discussing footwear, but over the years I have learned that if my feet hurt or are cold or too hot, I am miserable. Would much rather spend the money and have good shoes and be happy while on vacation.

Hope everyone had good luck and found what they want. Have a wonderful time on your cruises.

Okie

Walking around with wet, cold feet does not sound like fun to me. I bought Keen waterproof shoes and smart wool socks, and I will wear them on the flight so I don't have to pack them.

It is not like I will never be able to wear these shoes except in Alaska. :D

We bought waterproof athletic shoes from the North Face outlet when we went to Alaska. They were about $50, and I was glad to have them in the rain. I still use them at times because they have good support and are pretty comfortable. We had fairly warm temperatures when we were in Alaska, but it rained the day we were in Juneau, and it was quite cool that day. Having dry feet was a big plus that day.

I have worn Merrell MOAB waterproof hiking shoes for the past cruises to Alaska. The built up insole is really comfortable for long walks. With the shoes, I wear Thorlo cushioned-sole socks. My feet stay dry, warm, and comfortable for those long hikes or on whale-watching excursions.

After suffering plantar fasciitis, I have worn these shoes for the paste five years nearly every day and my symptoms disappeared within the first 30 days thanks to the great support.

Okie,

Wow, you did great with that price. I did order them through Amazon and found different colors were different prices. I found a nice brown color for $78 with free shipping, so quite a savings over the standard $129 price.

Can't wait til they get here next week!

Heidi

I have learned to pack light but since we have to have luggage for land tour and luggage for cruise, I am stressing out.

I packed by back pack, which DH dislikes, with enough clothes and 2 pr of shoes for 2 days LOL

It is the unknown.

I just received the totes I ordered. Based on another post on here, I got the ones to go over boots because they are supposed to work better over running shoes/sneakers. They are "Totes supertreads overboots" I ordered the size medium and take a 7.5 shoe in mens and and 9 in women's. the medium is perfect. Not too hard to get on. They definitely won't take up much room and, although they sure are not fashionable, they will do the trick and are exactly what I hoped for. Ordered from the Totes website and they came very quickly even though I chose the cheapest shipping option.

It is the unknown.

If you were asking about the ponchos they are called "Emergency poncho deluxe adult one size fits all" they are pretty generic with no maker name. They are folded and packed to about the size of a mens wallet.

Thank you! I spent hours trying on all the recommended shoes and none were comfortable on my feet so I dared not spend $ on them.

Gotta get these on order. Dilemma solved. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Okie,

Wow, you did great with that price. I did order them through Amazon and found different colors were different prices. I found a nice brown color for $78 with free shipping, so quite a savings over the standard $129 price.

Can't wait til they get here next week!

Heidi

A suggestion - I found that sometimes -depending on the weather - have issues with shoes. When I got my shoes (Clarks Wave Trek) I wore them around the house about 2 hours at a time for 3 or 4 days, just so they would get used to the way they move. Every shoe walks differently and up until I bought these I had been wearing the Clarks In-Motion oxfords for my walking treks. The Wave Treks move a whole lot differently than the Oxfords, and they fit differently around the toes.

Glad you got such a great price.

We have started counting down the days - we fly to Seattle the day before we leave Seattle for Anchorage - and have packed and repacked three different times. Am so trying to get everything for the Land portion into a carry-on for each of us, plus our tote bags. Then will pack one more suitcase that will be marked to "Meet Me At The Ship". That will have our sweatshirts and warmer clothing for the cruising portion of the trip. According to military count downs - 21 and a wake up :D to the first flight. WHOO HAA :eek:

Okie