worth the money?

It's will be mine and wife's 25th anniversery and I'll cut her loose with a chunk of extra dollars in case she see's something she really wants, either on ship or on shore. How can I tell if most all the stuff onboard, is way overpriced or the same goes for the vendors on shore. I know you have to negotiate with those vendors which I don't mind but I suspect onboard stuff is way marked up vs value. Neither of us are interested in art or watches. Also, I presume a lot of stuff on shore is actually made in China. Any ideas on good bargins in Rotan, Belieze, or Cosumel or onboard?:confused:

It's will be mine and wife's 25th anniversery and I'll cut her loose with a chunk of extra dollars in case she see's something she really wants, either on ship or on shore. How can I tell if most all the stuff onboard, is way overpriced or the same goes for the vendors on shore. I know you have to negotiate with those vendors which I don't mind but I suspect onboard stuff is way marked up vs value. Neither of us are interested in art or watches. Also, I presume a lot of stuff on shore is actually made in China. Any ideas on good bargins in Rotan, Belieze, or Cosumel or onboard?:confused:

I can't think of any bling worth while buying in these ports. Sorry, the best items and prices are st. Thomas and st. Martin in my opinion. Have a great cruise.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Happy Anniversary! 25 years is definitely something to celebrate. I agree that it doesn't really matter what it is, only that you chose it for her or she told you she likes something and then you buy it for her. Pay attention to what she is looking at in the onboard shops... if she's like me, she may keep going back to "something"... then you'll know. ;)

My husband buys me something on every cruise, usually something small but that I've had my eye on. This past cruise it was a small Guess purse from one of the onboard shops. On our 25th anniversary cruise he bought me a ring (not a real gemstone, but something lovely and fairly inexpensive that I just loved - looked at it all week!!).

OR... you can certainly buy something ahead of time, from, say a reputable jeweler at home whom you trust, and give it to her on the cruise. That would also be very special. :)

Have fun.

Thanks...I really want to do this during the cruise since this is the 1st cruise in the last 10 years and 1st without the kid. I agree..cost isn't the issue but I have this thing about getting totally ripped off. Just wondered if there was any buyers remorse out there and what to look out for?

...cost isn't the issue but I have this thing about getting totally ripped off.

Understood, but perhaps you might want to let that go... your lovely wife and this special anniversary cruise are more important, don't you think? You said cost is not the issue but getting "ripped off" is. Again, understood - none of us wants to get ripped off, do we? The only way not to get ripped off is to know your prices before you go. Know what you would pay at home for jewelry, alcohol, cameras, etc (I'm making a point) and then you will know how much is too much to pay.

Anyway, someone already suggested these ports are not worth looking into for an anniversary present and I'd have to agree.

EDITED to add: I forgot to say that in Mexico once we did buy a silver bangle bracelet for our daughter. It was beautiful, but bargained with the seller on the beach. Part of the charm? Maybe, but doubtful you'd want to do that in front of your wife. :) Probably best to buy something onboard ship.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I've bought plenty on board. You will definitely find something exquisite on board. You shouldn't be ripped off. Even if you pay a tiny bit more, you will still find something unique and memorable.

Is there something special you want to buy? If so, research it! Find out what the price is on that item at home, and then see if it's a "bargain"....

If you're not looking for anything in particular....just don't shop! There are few "bargains" anymore. If something catches your eye, and it's a "must have" , buy it, if you can afford it! Just don't expect great buys!

I get it...We are pretty practical people when it comes to this kind of stuff. No problem trying to get a lower price from a vendor in front of wife as if she really wanted it, I'd pay whatever I had to in the end. I'm also just a little suspicious of the gimmicks I see these cruise lines pull but not enough to stress out over it. She's already told me to not buy anything in advance. She wanted to do it as part of the cruise. If mama's happy, I'll be happy and maybe even a little tipsy.;)