The very IMPORTANT but PERPLEXING question of BACON

Katgoesonholiday

The way it is done here in the US is that a servers wage is a combination of a very low salary and tips. And in fact, the IRS (the taxman) automatically assumes 8% of a servers sales are wages. So by the time you take the cut for taxes, the cut for the busboy and various other folks, there isn't that much left off of a 15% tip. (My minimum tip, even for bad service)

In addition, when I've travelled overseas, I find the restaurant prices are high compared to our own. But since the servers wages are part of the price charged for the food, that makes sense. You pay it one way or another, in your total tab, or in tip, you need to follow the custom of the country.

A tip based system encourages your server to do a better job. I tip according to the level of service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think tips should only be given if service is good, better or outstanding. If the service is bad, why should I tip?

So for me it doesn't matter in which country I am, I only give tips when I think the service was good. And I once got the experience in the US that after not tipping the waiter called me in my hotelroom (it was the restaurant of the hotel I was staying) to ask me why I had not given a tip. I think this is really uncalled for and it made me realize that not tipping had bedn right. I called his manager to report him. I agree with Sidari. In India I did not give money to people/children begging even if this is part of their system. A begging child is a not in school where it should be and as long as people feed the system of giving to beggars this system remains.

Oh and on topic, here in the Netherlands we are not used to eat bacon. Does not matter what type of bacon. Only when it is added to pancakes. And you can have it in hotels but it is not in our daily breakfast menu.

If I did not need putting off the Divina already, that is it. One has to draw a line somewhere.

It is the opposite of the 'when in Rome argument'.

MSC sell 'Mediterranean-style cruises'. However most of the American market cannot adjust to that. MSC has therefore converted the Divina into an American-style cruise ship - free water, cheesy smiles, fake pleasantries, steak on tap, intrusive service etc....

MSC has spoilt a beautiful ship.

It must be 30 years since I experienced the 'crispy' bacon, except for on cruise ships. It is very fatty, full of flavour and best served in a plastic bag with a health warning. That style of bacon I thought was long gone and has nothing to do with bacon as available in the shops: 30-40 varieties but nothing like that.

The best bacon is hand-carved just before cooking from a bacon joint - a kilo or so - with all the fat trimmed off. You can decide how thin the slice but it still is never like "shrapnel".

It is just your opinion,NOT a fact. And you are very,very WRONG!:eek:

Never seizes to amaze me how complicated tipping in the US is. Why the tax man should asume 8% of the wages are tips, why should you tip a 15% even if you receive bad service etc...

I just never know if I am tipping right or wrong. I do it because is the norm, but i don't like unwritten norms

IMHO it's a system that really is in contradiction with the pragmatic way Americans handle things.

To me, the result of all that are over-friendly servers who just fake being friendly. It's like those people in countries where they behave politely without actually meaning it.

Maybe where I come from people are supposed to behave in a real way, not faking it. Which one is best depends on every person / culture of course.

Oh and on topic, here in the Netherlands we are not used to eat bacon. Does not matter what type of bacon. Only when it is added to pancakes. And you can have it in hotels but it is not in our daily breakfast menu.

Your cholesterol levels are so very thankful for that :D

I think tips should only be given if service is good, better or outstanding. If the service is bad, why should I tip?

So for me it doesn't matter in which country I am, I only give tips when I think the service was good. And I once got the experience in the US that after not tipping the waiter called me in my hotelroom (it was the restaurant of the hotel I was staying) to ask me why I had not given a tip. I think this is really uncalled for and it made me realize that not tipping had bedn right. I called his manager to report him. I agree with Sidari. In India I did not give money to people/children begging even if this is part of their system. A begging child is a not in school where it should be and as long as people feed the system of giving to beggars this system remains.

I agree. So long as people tip service staff without good reason so long their wages will be artificially low.

You forgot ice tea, water at dinner, face cloths, and coffee after dinner

No I didn't forget.

Yes those are all correct.

But undercooked bacon and tipping were the items being discussed.

Do they tip in Italy?

Does MSC take tips or whatever they call it from cruises in the med and from the UK? So at least some segments of Europe has tipping mandatory. I bet guest relations is slammed on the last day by those removing their tips.

So MSC can violate europe's non tipping social norm but won't give Americans the crispy bacon that is our social norm?

So when in Rome seems to only apply to Americans and not to Europeans?

So you guys don't tip much if any and resent it while travling here but we just have to have open minds when eating your raw bacon?

Hmmmm... ;)

I never said I don't tip. In fact I made it clear that I do tip when in America. Generally I overtip because one day a guy in an Elmo suit yelled at me in Times Square when I didn't tip him enough and now I get paranoid about under tipping.

So I'm partly to blame for perpetuating this whole system. But the crispy bacon isn't my fault.

I never said I don't tip. In fact I made it clear that I do tip when in America. Generally I overtip because one day a guy in an Elmo suit yelled at me in Times Square when I didn't tip him enough and now I get paranoid about under tipping.

So I'm partly to blame for perpetuating this whole system. But the crispy bacon isn't my fault.

Fair enough but next time your in times square remember, we will be watching you and never ever owe a tip to elmo he's way to 20%. Big bird is far more the 10% type. :cool:

No I didn't forget.

Yes those are all correct.

But undercooked bacon and tipping were the items being discussed.

Do they tip in Italy?

Does MSC take tips or whatever they call it from cruises in the med and from the UK? So at least some segments of Europe has tipping mandatory. I bet guest relations is slammed on the last day by those removing their tips.

So MSC can violate europe's non tipping social norm but won't give Americans the crispy bacon that is our social norm?

So you guys don't tip much if any and resent it while travling here but we just have to have open minds when eating your raw bacon?

Hmmmm... ;)

In Europe tipping is never mandatory! We only tip when service is good, not because wages are kept low.

I thought that the daily service charge is not a tip. So you still can tip yourself if you think the service you receive is good. We did that actually on both our cruises.

In Europe tipping is never mandatory! We only tip when service is good, not because wages are kept low.

I thought that the daily service charge is not a tip. So you still can tip yourself if you think the service you receive is good. We did that actually on both our cruises.

So the daily service fee is not a tip? What then is it? Who does it go to? Who is it dispersed to?

Sort of like a fee is not a tax concept.

Is raw or undercooked bacon mandatory?

That's about the gist of it. when Americans are in other countries and don't follow the social norms there, they are considered "Ugly Americans". Yet when others come to America and don't follow our social norms (or bitch about it while doing so) they rationalize it because our ways are wrong (in their eyes). Rather sad in my opinion.

Why do you people keep looking at only one side of the coin??? In America, you can get a nice meal for $10 and give a $2 tip (total $12). In Europe, you can buy the same meal for $15 and not leave a tip (total $15). What is the problem?

So the daily service fee is not a tip? What then is it? Who does it go to? Who is it dispersed to?

Sort of like a fee is not a tax concept.

Is raw or undercooked bacon mandatory?

Firstly, the 'daily hotel charge' is not a tip. It is an optional charge which is automatically applied. It, however, pays the wages of the hotel staff. If enough guests cancel their hotel charge not to pay their wages, the company makes it up as per their contractual wages. If there is an excess, it is shared proportionally.

Lean cuts of bacon should always be grilled or fried, both sides, without oil.

Why do you people keep looking at only one side of the coin??? In America, you can get a nice meal for $10 and give a $2 tip (total $12). In Europe, you can buy the same meal for $15 and not leave a tip (total $15). What is the problem?

The problem is in Europe my $15 gets me raw bacon... yuck! :p

And I might still leave a tip. Its not the servers fault the chef can't cook bacon.

:D

The problem is in Europe my $15 gets me raw bacon... yuck! :p

And I might still leave a tip. Its not the servers fault the chef can't cook bacon.

:D

I lived in England (RAF Martlesham Heath......Ipswich) and what they are calling bacon is more like what we would refer to as a thin ham steak. It is not served raw and is very tasty but would never be confused with bacon (American). Sometimes, enough though it originated as the same language (from Old German no less), different words mean different things now. If we ever meet on board, I'll tell what British "suspenders" are! :D

I'm regretting starting and then continuing to follow this thread. My pre cruise diet does not appreciate being reminded of bacon all the time!

Mmmmmm....sweet succulent bacon....crispy bacon.....mmmmm bacon!

Crispy bacon???

Good choice, now go forth and partake!

(Am patiently waiting for thread to meander into "Pork Scratchings" territory... Otherwise known as pub-snack of the Gods!).

Do they still sell those, haven't seem them in years!

Now there was a crispy bacon product that I used to like. M&S used to (may still do) ready cooked streaky bacon in the cold meat section for crumbling on salads or just wolfing like crisps out of the container.

Out to Sea - you are spot on, the argument of crisp versus raw is not over the same thing at all. What is called bacon in the UK's, Australia and NZ is not the same product at all that is sold in the US. Heck we could start a new game on a seep rate thread and keep it going for ages on same word in English English and American English but very different meaning e.g. Pants and best over hear are underwear!

I've seen packets of those pork scratching a sold at the supermarket checkout. I've never been tempted to try them till now.

English is an odd language. I look after teenagers from other countries who are in NZ to study English. It's really hard to consciously avoid using colloquial and ambiguous words that will confuse them as they struggle to come to terms with our language.

I've seen packets of those pork scratching a sold at the supermarket checkout. I've never been tempted to try them till now.

English is an odd language. I look after teenagers from other countries who are in NZ to study English. It's really hard to consciously avoid using colloquial and ambiguous words that will confuse them as they struggle to come to terms with our language.

Agreed, I certainly would not want to learn English as a second language, too may inconsistencies in pronunciation (e.g. The ending ough is pronounced completely differently in through and rough, then there is the word threw, same pronunciation as through different meaning....)