The very IMPORTANT but PERPLEXING question of BACON

Katgoesonholiday

I drink heaps of water - just not with meals. I've found I eat more if I am washing it down with glasses of water so I avoid water during meal times and make up for it elsewhere during the day.

Interesting since usually water helps fill you up but has no calories thereby helping you eat less.

There are studies that show if you start your meal with a full glass of water you will eat less than if you don't.

Like many studies take them with a grain of salt. Just don't add the salt to the water.

There are studies that show if you start your meal with a full glass of water you will eat less than if you don't.

Like many studies take them with a grain of salt. Just don't add the salt to the water.

They did a documentary over here a year or so ago when they weren't looking so much at how much you ate in a meal with water compared to without but how long you'd go after without feeling hungry and wanting to eat again. They used an army squad as their guinea pigs. A third had the food and water later, a third had the same food drinking with their meal and the last had their food and water combined in the same meal (still the same ingredients etc). The last group stayed fuller longer for some reason. The conclusion was that of you wanted to stay fuller longer go for stews, casseroles and thick soups.

It seemed almost counter intuitive, as you'd think your digestive system would take longer to break down meats and veg not combined into soups etc.

We put maple syrup on our pancakes. And a side of crispy bacon.

We will eat our pancakes our way thank you very much.;)

Ice cream...good heavens. Crepes maybe but good old buckwheat or buttermilk pancakes? :eek:

That's fine. But you really should try pancakes, icecream and maple syrup. Yummoooo, also the things you call biscuits.... Are scones here we have them with jam and cream :)

TheBrowns

Edited by TheBrowns

That's fine. But you really should try pancakes, icecream and maple syrup. Yummoooo, also the things you call biscuits.... Are scones here we have them with jam and cream :)

TheBrowns

No actually our scones are different from our biscuits. We do English tea as a family weekly and are well versed in scones, clotted cream, jam/marmalade and other assorted tea items, finger sandwiches.

Our biscuits we do not serve with tea but eat for breakfast or dinner/supper and are the big fluffy kind.

For example a staple breakfast item in the US, particually in the deep south, is Biscuits and gravy. Big fluffy biscuits smothered (sometimes to much) in a sausage gravy (a thick white gravy with bits of breakfast sausage mixed in or some similar variation) Very filling...very unhealthy...very tasty!

We would never substitute a scone for the biscuit in the above meal.

I had a Bacon martini once.

I thought a combination of two of my favourite things would be heaven (bacon and vodka) but I was very wrong.

However, baconnaise on chips (fries) is amazing.

Like the sound of the baconnaise - where did you get that?

No actually our scones are different from our biscuits. We do English tea as a family weekly and are well versed in scones, clotted cream, jam/marmalade and other assorted tea items, finger sandwiches.

Our biscuits we do not serve with tea but eat for breakfast or dinner/supper and are the big fluffy kind.

For example a staple breakfast item in the US, particually in the deep south, is Biscuits and gravy. Big fluffy biscuits smothered (sometimes to much) in a sausage gravy (a thick white gravy with bits of breakfast sausage mixed in or some similar variation) Very filling...very unhealthy...very tasty!

We would never substitute a scone for the biscuit in the above meal.

Sacrilege!!! :mad: You can NEVER have too much gravy on your biscuit! :D

I drink heaps of water - just not with meals.

I find that water is rather difficult to heap, most of the time, after about mid-March. And even then, drinking it while heaped is next to impossible; however, (getting back on topic), heaped water, covered with maple syrup, would make an excellent accompaniment to BACON - regardless of how prepared! :)

I find that water is rather difficult to heap, most of the time, after about mid-March. And even then, drinking it while heaped is next to impossible; however, (getting back on topic), heaped water, covered with maple syrup, would make an excellent accompaniment to BACON - regardless of how prepared! :)

Very good points! I stand corrected!

I had a Bacon martini once.

I thought a combination of two of my favourite things would be heaven (bacon and vodka) but I was very wrong.

However, baconnaise on chips (fries) is amazing.

I don't know that I'd like a Bacon martini... However, this will change your life:

10151904_10152450300196457_5672372655069875007_n_zpse860eaf1.jpg

That's a bloody mary. Made with bacon infused vodka, garnished with a candied bacon strip, and that's candied bacon on the rim. It was AMAZING.

I can only imagine what baconnaise on fries would be like.

On a somewhat related pork note - picking up a pork belly (what we make bacon out of here in the US, across the pond it's called streaky bacon) today - and I'm going to be smoking it for hours tomorrow... I saw it on a youtube video and had to wipe the drool off my keyboard...

I absolutely love cruising on Holland America, but find the bacon not to my taste... It's done the American way which just doesn't work for this Aussie... It's the only thing I wish they'd change as I only ever have a cooked breakfast when cruising.

Is it a deal breaker - no - there are lots of other lovely things to eat.

And we always, always drink water with meals!

MrKat and I are watching Venice themed movies to get in the groove for our upcoming trip and my poor husband was utterly confused by the gales of laughter that erupted at one line in tonight's movie:

If there's bacon involved, I dread to imagine the depths of depravity!
Edited by Katgoesonholiday