The very IMPORTANT but PERPLEXING question of BACON

Katgoesonholiday

Even the American Indians came from somewhere else (Asia, across the land bridge that used to be between Russia and Alaska about 12,000 years ago). I completely agree with the rest that you said. :p

LOL! Well, what do I know anyway(we just got electricity last year in Alabama)! Just kidding!!:rolleyes:

American is the home of many culinary atrocities. Pumpkin flavored everything is one thing that comes to mind! :p

I dread the fall. While I do enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie, please don't put pumpkin spice in every food product from September to December!

As for bacon, I'm equal opportunity, so long as it isn't burnt. Back bacon? Sign me up. Country slab bacon? Yep. I've taken to roasting mine in the oven to get crisp, but not dark, pieces of pork goodness.

Alas, we were never up early enough to have a meal that contained bacon for the entirety of our cruise! Many late nights were responsible.

Alas, we were never up early enough to have a meal that contained bacon for the entirety of our cruise! Many late nights were responsible.

Late nights and early mornings are compatible if you also follow the Mediterranean practice of 'siesta'.

I have the hobbit habit of two breakfasts. The first, when at home around 6 a.m., on a cruise or in a hotel as soon as breakfast starts, usually a tardy 7 a.m.. The second around three hours later. On holiday, I get sucked into late nights so the only way to survive is a deep sleep after lunch.

Nobody has mentioned the pleasure of a bacon sandwich. The colour of the sauce in a bacon sandwich supposedly divides the English, let alone, Britain, Europe or the World. The South prefers ketchup, the North prefers brown (like HP) sauce. On the Armonia, recently, I was able to have a bacon sandwich in a freshly baked soft roll with HP sauce every morning!

Yum.

We were getting to bed around 4 and up around 10am, then on the go all day long. First meal of the day was lunch. :) Then off to see performances all day (26 bands on the cruise, got to see 13 shows in 5 days, and hang out at the nightly 'jam' until 2 or 3am)

The last night, we ran into someone I hadn't seen in 30 years (what are the odds), so we ended up talking until almost 5am, then snuck into the buffet and husband grabbed a bowl of cereal and we both had some pastries.

Going on a cruise next month that will consist of mostly relaxing and we might actually eat breakfast all three days. Siestas are definitely on the agenda!

Is Braveheart still fighting?? :p

Nah, think being hung, drawn and quartered curtailed that!

Anyway us folk from Edinburgh were on the "other side".

This has been a most entertaining thread, stated tongue in cheek but never the less fun and a pleasant change form the ice or water debate,

Must go before I cremate my bacon.

Nah, think being hung, drawn and quartered curtailed that!

Anyway us folk from Edinburgh were on the "other side".

This has been a most entertaining thread, stated tongue in cheek but never the less fun and a pleasant change form the ice or water debate,

Must go before I cremate my bacon.

If Scotland does vote for independence, I would campaign for Yorkshire to become part of Scotland. Would you have us?

Nobody has mentioned the pleasure of a bacon sandwich. The colour of the sauce in a bacon sandwich supposedly divides the English, let alone, Britain, Europe or the World. The South prefers ketchup, the North prefers brown (like HP) sauce. On the Armonia, recently, I was able to have a bacon sandwich in a freshly baked soft roll with HP sauce every morning!

Yum.

OMG!!!!! Bacon sarnie! I've just had dinner but all of a sudden I'm hungry again!

I think I must be a closet Northerner. I adore HP sauce and when I was a kid I used to come home and have it thickly slathered on slices of white bread. My Dad is originally from England as is my husband, so I have been properly educated on the finer things in life.

I have just updated my beloved spouse about the cultural differences as regards bacon.

He thought about it for a few minutes and then asked..."How can you have a bacon sandwich with crispy bacon?"

As far as he is concerned that is the argument closed. :D

I have just updated my beloved spouse about the cultural differences as regards bacon.

He thought about it for a few minutes and then asked..."How can you have a bacon sandwich with crispy bacon?"

As far as he is concerned that is the argument closed. :D

Well that is daft, your hubby has no clue unless he has had a crispy bacon blt in the US.

Who wants a chewy bacon sandwich?

Why we revolted from England. Stamp acts, tea tax, quartering of redcoats and crispy bacon!

Why we won = crispy bacon :D.

You do know it's not just Americans who have difficulty adjusting to other cultures behaviors, right? How many Brits have you read about who don't believe in tipping, even when in the US, because it is not part of their culture.

:)

Huge round of applause to you!!!! I think it's quite one thing to have to make an adjustment to what goes in ones own mouth and is impacting your own taste buds, but quite another to refuse to tip when your actions are now impacting the wages of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the main point is when Rome, do as the Romans.

There is something a little bit ugly about people who travel and refuse to adjust to other cultures for the duration of their trip - especially when it's accompanied by a superior 'The way we do things is the right way' attitude.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

I think the main point is when Rome, do as the Romans.

Yes. Absolutely.

Not only that, but appreciate the Romanness of it all! Or whatever country/place you happen to be.

Open eyes, ears, minds, tastebuds and learn something.

quite another to refuse to tip when your actions are now impacting the wages of others.

Why should people from other countries be responsible for making up someones wages in the USA? surely it is for the employers to pay a decent living wage.

After all those people can choose how to spend their hard earned wages.

quite another to refuse to tip when your actions are now impacting the wages of others.

Why should people from other countries be responsible for making up someones wages in the USA? surely it is for the employers to pay a decent living wage.

Sidari,

Perhaps you should just think of the tip as part of the cruise price. The philosophy is the the employee will put forth more effort if he feels part of his pay is based on his performance. Some lines used to be no gratuity (HAL for one), but the rates then were higher back then. Our prices on nearly everything are cheaper in the states, because waitress's and help staff do get tips. What's the difference if they get the money from the employer (via higher wages and higher prices) or from the customer. It's all a wash.

The way it is done here in the US is that a servers wage is a combination of a very low salary and tips. And in fact, the IRS (the taxman) automatically assumes 8% of a servers sales are wages. So by the time you take the cut for taxes, the cut for the busboy and various other folks, there isn't that much left off of a 15% tip. (My minimum tip, even for bad service)

In addition, when I've travelled overseas, I find the restaurant prices are high compared to our own. But since the servers wages are part of the price charged for the food, that makes sense. You pay it one way or another, in your total tab, or in tip, you need to follow the custom of the country.

A tip based system encourages your server to do a better job. I tip according to the level of service.

A tip based system encourages your server to do a better job.

It should be noted that this is an opinion - not fact. We don't have a tip based system but we consistently get excellent service when we eat out - which is fairly frequently.

To be honest, I feel this system has some major flaws.

Firstly, I don't understand why it is the customer's role to incentivise and reward good service. Surely that should be the responsibility of the employer - who after all has a financial imperative to hire and retain good staff and make the business succeed?

And what is good service anyway? Is it not simply a polite demeanour, helpful suggestions if requested, promptly taking your order and bringing out food in a timely manner and clearing plates away likewise? That seems to be a pretty much basic standard expectation. If I had a server that ignored us, forgot to place our order, left dirty dishes in front of us for ages and so on, I would think that the most effective way to deal with it would be a polite word to the maitre d or to the manager.

And isn't the whole tipping philosophy undermined by the fact that some people receive great service then stiff the waiter with a pious note about how Jesus doesn't tip so they won't either? Or people who consistently tip a minimum of 15% even for bad service?

I don't get tipping. I don't like it. I don't think it is fair to the servers. I have deliberately chosen a cruise line that doesn't encourage tipping because I want a relaxing holiday - and trying to figure out who to tip and how much leaves me stressed.

But when I am in America I tip because that is the culture and the expectation. And its not the servers fault they don't get paid a decent hourly rate!

And it's that type of attitude that makes me want to say "Just stay home then".

No one asked you what you thought of how we pay our employees in this country. This is how we do things and you have your way of doing things. If you only want to do things your way, then stay in your country. When you come to our country, you need to learn to do things our way whether you like them or not. I learned to drive on the left hand side of the road and learned to call a beer a pint while stationed in England as that is the norm in your country and I wanted to fit in. I expect the same of you over here and to tip accordingly or stay home if that's too much for you. :mad:

When in Rome...

The Divina is Miami

So when in Miami...

In Miami crispy bacon is served.

The Divina is in the US

When in the US....

We eat crispy bacon. There is even a tv show called the United States of Bacon on the Discovery channel.

Crispy bacon...

When in Rome...

The Divina is in the US

When in the US....

Crispy bacon...

If I did not need putting off the Divina already, that is it. One has to draw a line somewhere.

It is the opposite of the 'when in Rome argument'.

MSC sell 'Mediterranean-style cruises'. However most of the American market cannot adjust to that. MSC has therefore converted the Divina into an American-style cruise ship - free water, cheesy smiles, fake pleasantries, steak on tap, intrusive service etc....

MSC has spoilt a beautiful ship.

It must be 30 years since I experienced the 'crispy' bacon, except for on cruise ships. It is very fatty, full of flavour and best served in a plastic bag with a health warning. That style of bacon I thought was long gone and has nothing to do with bacon as available in the shops: 30-40 varieties but nothing like that.

The best bacon is hand-carved just before cooking from a bacon joint - a kilo or so - with all the fat trimmed off. You can decide how thin the slice but it still is never like "shrapnel".

Out to Sea .... On our 5 plus trips to America we have given/left tips for various staff,servers,waiters and not just on cruise ships but also in deli`s and cafes etc.

I stand by what i said that you should not expect visitors to make up wages of people who are under paid!