Just Back, Some Quick Thoughts...

ducklite

Oh good, glad about that, since I'll be there in early September.

Emdee, is there still a Change kiosk at the airport, or an ATM?

Is that because the rate is better?

Yes, it always has been. The exchange desk sits right in front when you come out so many people don't know about the ATM 150 feet to the right close to the street

Edited by Tikiintahiti

• 4 weeks later...

Ducklite - I just saw this thread and I'm wondering which cabin you were in on Deck 7 that was so noisy??

We are doing our first PG cruise next May, and I'm very concerned about noise (light sleeper). We are on deck 7, towards the back also...:eek: TIA

Ducklite - I just saw this thread and I'm wondering which cabin you were in on Deck 7 that was so noisy??

We are doing our first PG cruise next May, and I'm very concerned about noise (light sleeper). We are on deck 7, towards the back also...:eek: TIA

We were in 753.

We will be taking our fifth PG cruise this August from Cairns-Fiji. Each time we have been on Deck 7 in various locations (starboard. port, fore and mid ship). These comments about noises are a mystery to me. Don't tell PG, but we always turn off the air con and let the breezes cool the room, so it's doubly mysterious that someone would complain about tender or engine noise.

Though the PG is designed for "tight" cruising waters, her draft is ~8 feet. For a ship her size, she is one of the most stable I have ever experienced.

If I were you, I would take the comments on noise and ship stability with a grain of salt. I would also listen to the repeater comments before those who might have been having a bad week.

We will be taking our fifth PG cruise this August from Cairns-Fiji. Each time we have been on Deck 7 in various locations (starboard. port, fore and mid ship). These comments about noises are a mystery to me. Don't tell PG, but we always turn off the air con and let the breezes cool the room, so it's doubly mysterious that someone would complain about tender or engine noise.

Though the PG is designed for "tight" cruising waters, her draft is ~8 feet. For a ship her size, she is one of the most stable I have ever experienced.

If I were you, I would take the comments on noise and ship stability with a grain of salt. I would also listen to the repeater comments before those who might have been having a bad week.

Many have complained of noise and vibrations. Maybe you are comfortable sleeping with your door unlocked, and open--I am not. Not to mention it would have been too humid to be comfortable.

Considering that another poster who was on the same cruise had many of the same comments about the ship as I did, I believe it was Paul Gauguin having an off week, not us.

Actually, yet another poster noted that the Gauguin is going to have some repairs done soon to take care of an engine vibration issue. It was pretty bad the week we were on it.

Actually, yet another poster noted that the Gauguin is going to have some repairs done soon to take care of an engine vibration issue. It was pretty bad the week we were on it.

But of course we were the ones having the bad week and our expectations were too high. :rolleyes:

We took a cruise that was billed as "luxury" and paid luxury pricing for it, but didn't get luxury level service and had a loud ship that had vibration issues.

I just find it incomprehensible that the cheerleaders refuse to accept that there were some issues with the cruise we were on. Amazing how blinding emotional loyalty can be.

But of course we were the ones having the bad week and our expectations were too high. :rolleyes:

We took a cruise that was billed as "luxury" and paid luxury pricing for it, but didn't get luxury level service and had a loud ship that had vibration issues.

I just find it incomprehensible that the cheerleaders refuse to accept that there were some issues with the cruise we were on. Amazing how blinding emotional loyalty can be.

Its not that we dont accept your point of view ... its just that our experiences have been mostly different. In 7 cruises on the PG only one was subpar as it was being run by someone else ( when the brothers owned the ship).

As for vibration issues a number of ships have that. I have been on a 'true' luxury ship where the water in the glass almost sloshed over with the vibration.

Regarding the dry dock - this has been planned for over two and a half years. Its a routine dry dock where they will open up the side of the ship and service the engines etc. Hopefully any noise from the engines that people hear will be eliminated.

Edited by Emdee

Its not that we dont accept your point of view ... its just that our experiences have been mostly different. In 7 cruises on the PG only one was subpar as it was being run by someone else ( when the brothers owned the ship).

As for vibration issues a number of ships have that. I have been on a 'true' luxury ship where the water in the glass almost sloshed over with the vibration.

Regarding the dry dock - this has been planned for over two and a half years. Its a routine dry dock where they will open up the side of the ship and service the engines etc. Hopefully any noise from the engines that people hear will be eliminated.

Emdee, if it had just been myself and my husband, I would have conceded it was possibly "us." But when RZ3, who I don't know as we met for a few moments on the cruise and didn't even know we were "each other" during that brief encounter, as well as four other couples we do know who were on the ship with us and were left underwhelmed--including one who sailed on the PG about 26 months ago and RAVED about her to us when we were cruising together in the Med and were highly disappointed this time around, that's quite telling.

When six couples are all left underwhelmed at best and quite disappointed at worst, obviously there was something going on. Could it have been a bad week, sure. But when you spend that type of cash to take a cruise, the cruise line simply isn't allowed to have a bad week. They are professionals, and professionals recover from stumbles in a way that the customer never sees them.

I never even mentioned some of the other things that the cabin steward did that ticked me off--throwing away my perfectly fresh flower arrangement over 24 hours before the end of the cruise comes to mind--I guess it didn't occur that I might want to take them with me. >:(

I've been accused of all sorts of things by the cheerleaders--who I might add weren't there, so really have no basis to say how anything was or wasn't on that particular sailing--and find it ridiculous and actually rather pitiful that anyone would imply I'm a liar or trying to make the PG look bad. Go back and read my first post--I praised them for the things that went right. I stand by that praise.

However there were some things that went pretty darn wrong (including what at this point I feel was the theft of some of my belongings by a crew member), and knowing that PG reads these boards, I'm pretty dumbfounded that they haven't reached out to discuss this.

It might seem small and insignificant, but in my opinion, they were responsible for the safe return of $250 worth of clothing entrusted to them, and they failed to return it and gave me a real attitude about it while on board. If someone was as brazen to steal laundry, what else will they be putting their fingers on?

Of the 10 reviews published so far this year about the PG, four of them rated their cruise 2 or 3 stars. Mine hasn't even been published yet. That tells me that something is going on, and it's not a change for the better. Hopefully PG can figure out the problem and get it fixed, because at this point there is a downward trend. The line can't exist on "repeaters" alone.

Edited by ducklite

I wanted to add this to my prior post but it had gone past the editing allowed time.

Duckie - you had stated, "But when you spend that type of cash to take a cruise, the cruise line simply isn't allowed to have a bad week."

Let me share my experience the first time I went to FP. My beautiful bride had been there several times prior to us going on our honeymoon, I had heard for months just how special FP was and that this would be a trip of a lifetime.

So we headed to the airport, boarded .......... we were taxing down to the end of the runway for take off when our plane collided with another jumbo jet. We were all unloaded and taken back to the waiting area. After 2 hours we were all told that the plane could not continue and would be taken to a Holiday Inn for the night. Well 2 days later the plane was ready to depart, we endured buffet foodand a so so hotel for the first 2 days of our honeymoon.

I could of said, 'we spent a ton cash to take our honeymoon, the airline simply isn't allowed to have a bad day' ........ they owe us!

But nope, we landed in PPT and I remember seeing the outline of Moorea in the morning sunrise for the first time, I expected to see King Kong come from behind one of the jagged peaks, incredible beauty.

The next day I go food poisoning and was very sick. I could of said, 'we spent a ton cash to take our honeymoon, the hotel simply isn't allowed to have a bad food day' ........ they owe us!

But we didn't ...........

Our honey moon was one of my best trips to FP .......... why? Because we worked through adversity, looked at the glass as being half full and we knew **** happens ........... to everyone, it just does, nobody but one was 100% perfect.

Statistically over 90% of the cruisers on the PG have a great time and the ship/crew meet or go beyond peoples expectations, that is why the PG has a very loyal fan base ........... I would guess if you go 9 more times you should have some real good trips ;)

Have a good day

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Ducklite,

I totally agree that you have a right to your own opinion and that you and RZ3 didnt have the cruise you wished for. I also sympathise with you for the loss of your clothes. Please do bring this up with PG management and let us know their response.

On the pricing though given what is included I dont think its that high. Keep in mind that it includes air and hotel for a night or so. Like I said before, to quote my often stoic and long suffering DH, money has no value but its what you ascribe to it.

I genuinely believe that the PG draws most of its passengers from the repeaters pool and I think we will continue to be a mainstay. Repeaters on this line, as on some others, are loyal and vocal.

I also continue to think that the people who dont enjoy the PG are those who are not seduced by its charm. Its a charming ship in a drop dead gorgeous place. If one is looking for value for money alone then its not the ship for one.

Further, some other newbies who went on the Feb 5th cruise along with repeaters gave me a different report of the cruise ( as compared to a reviewer of the same cruise) so who am I to believe other than its a question of perception?

Is the cruise ship and staff perfect? No they arent - even we have had minor skirmishes wih staff from time to time. But in 50 odd cruises ( Regent, Azamara, Crystal, Oceania and RCCL) and numerous travels all over the world in all kinds of hotels including the Burj al Arab, Four Seasons and various Orient Express Properties to name only a few, we still are drawn back to the PG and FP. There must be something special, some mystique, some charm that draws us and other regulars. I just feel sad for any of you who are on the outside and dont get it like we do! I guess the PG Flu is selective....but dont tell that to Tattoo boy who has it bad at this time!

Edited by Emdee

Tiki, I valued most of your suggestions, but you are really digging deep on these responses and negative attitude toward anyone who disagrees with you. Not sure why you seem to think you know more about what is going on today with the ship than people who have been on it more recently, but whatever... and why do you feel such a need to cheer lead? Frankly, I've kept out of most of the discussion because I know that in your mind you think you're completely right.

Well, you're not.

I've moved on and will continue to post my experiences when/if they are relevant. I am adult enough to understand that people have different experiences and that what one person experiences one day may not be the same the next day. The exact same experience can be seen different ways by different people. I also know that PG has had a few less than glowing reviews recently. Something has changed with them, believe it or not. I don't have any past experience with them so I can only speculate. The reviews used to all be glowing. They are not any longer.

So, are you adult enough to move on and just accept that someone else has a view different that yours?

I wanted to add this to my prior post but it had gone past the editing allowed time.

Duckie - you had stated, "But when you spend that type of cash to take a cruise, the cruise line simply isn't allowed to have a bad week."

Let me share my experience the first time I went to FP. My beautiful bride had been there several times prior to us going on our honeymoon, I had heard for months just how special FP was and that this would be a trip of a lifetime.

So we headed to the airport, boarded .......... we were taxing down to the end of the runway for take off when our plane collided with another jumbo jet. We were all unloaded and taken back to the waiting area. After 2 hours we were all told that the plane could not continue and would be taken to a Holiday Inn for the night. Well 2 days later the plane was ready to depart, we endured buffet foodand a so so hotel for the first 2 days of our honeymoon.

I could of said, 'we spent a ton cash to take our honeymoon, the airline simply isn't allowed to have a bad day' ........ they owe us!

But nope, we landed in PPT and I remember seeing the outline of Moorea in the morning sunrise for the first time, I expected to see King Kong come from behind one of the jagged peaks, incredible beauty.

The next day I go food poisoning and was very sick. I could of said, 'we spent a ton cash to take our honeymoon, the hotel simply isn't allowed to have a bad food day' ........ they owe us!

But we didn't ...........

Our honey moon was one of my best trips to FP .......... why? Because we worked through adversity, looked at the glass as being half full and we knew **** happens ........... to everyone, it just does, nobody but one was 100% perfect.

Statistically over 90% of the cruisers on the PG have a great time and the ship/crew meet or go beyond peoples expectations, that is why the PG has a very loyal fan base ........... I would guess if you go 9 more times you should have some real good trips ;)

Have a good day

You were compensated for the mishap with the airline--that type of delay got you a free ticket at the very least. If not from the airline, you could have collected from your travel insurance.

The hotel also owed you if you got food poisoning from them. Your insurance would have paid your medical costs, and probably a bit of the vacation costs as well.

You can try to spin it however you want. The fact is that there were some things about our cruise that made our experience less than the luxury cruise we had been promised.

We might get back to FP some day, but not on the PG. We'll either stay at the Hilton in Moorea or sail with another line. I'm not dropping another $6K+ to see if the PG can do a better job the next time. Knowing my luck, all of my clothes would go missing, and of course it wouldn't be their fault. :rolleyes:

By the way, I would have been proactive with the carrier, gotten a cash refund on the spot (by law they have to give you this when they can't get you to your destination within "x" hours (I think it's 12 international) and booked with a different airline, collecting any difference from my travel insurance when I returned.

Tiki, I valued most of your suggestions, but you are really digging deep on these responses and negative attitude toward anyone who disagrees with you. Not sure why you seem to think you know more about what is going on today with the ship than people who have been on it more recently, but whatever... and why do you feel such a need to cheer lead? Frankly, I've kept out of most of the discussion because I know that in your mind you think you're completely right.

Well, you're not.

I've moved on and will continue to post my experiences when/if they are relevant. I am adult enough to understand that people have different experiences and that what one person experiences one day may not be the same the next day. The exact same experience can be seen different ways by different people. I also know that PG has had a few less than glowing reviews recently. Something has changed with them, believe it or not. I don't have any past experience with them so I can only speculate. The reviews used to all be glowing. They are not any longer.

So, are you adult enough to move on and just accept that someone else has a view different that yours?

You two so easily forget, nobody, including myself, have discounted your experiences. The only thing that has been stated is you two are one of the few exceptions to the norm. I get PM's all the time from people I've helped on this forum telling me of their great experience on the PG and a heartfelt thank you. I have not been on the PG for 18 months (have been on PGC second ship 6 months ago, much of the same crew), granted, but I do get recent PM reviews every week, interestingly I have not had one person PM me and tell me they were disappointed.

Keep in mind usually the people who have something negative post comments, this is true in all areas of life, people who have positive experiences very often say nothing except for a private message to express gratitude.

I only comment when Duckie spews her negativity. I'm sort of the loving brother who gets tired of hearing people rag on his sister, heck yes we are protective but if you were to go through some older post you will find even the faithful do express things that are wrong, however, we do not make it our focus if life to keep repeating our disappointment. We say it, and then move on.

Enough said

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Ducklite,

I totally agree that you have a right to your own opinion and that you and RZ3 didnt have the cruise you wished for. I also sympathise with you for the loss of your clothes. Please do bring this up with PG management and let us know their response.

On the pricing though given what is included I dont think its that high. Keep in mind that it includes air and hotel for a night or so. Like I said before, to quote my often stoic and long suffering DH, money has no value but its what you ascribe to it.

I genuinely believe that the PG draws most of its passengers from the repeaters pool and I think we will continue to be a mainstay. Repeaters on this line, as on some others, are loyal and vocal.

I also continue to think that the people who dont enjoy the PG are those who are not seduced by its charm. Its a charming ship in a drop dead gorgeous place. If one is looking for value for money alone then its not the ship for one.

Further, some other newbies who went on the Feb 5th cruise along with repeaters gave me a different report of the cruise ( as compared to a reviewer of the same cruise) so who am I to believe other than its a question of perception?

Is the cruise ship and staff perfect? No they arent - even we have had minor skirmishes wih staff from time to time. But in 50 odd cruises ( Regent, Azamara, Crystal, Oceania and RCCL) and numerous travels all over the world in all kinds of hotels including the Burj al Arab, Four Seasons and various Orient Express Properties to name only a few, we still are drawn back to the PG and FP. There must be something special, some mystique, some charm that draws us and other regulars. I just feel sad for any of you who are on the outside and dont get it like we do! I guess the PG Flu is selective....but dont tell that to Tattoo boy who has it bad at this time!

Emdee, my pricing did not include any airfare or hotel We booked that all on our own.

I reported the missing items to the PG, even got a written report from them that I had to argue for and was stonewalled to get. The PG knows about it, in my opinion it should be them contacting me. They are the ones that need to follow up, I have put in a claim with my insurance, however I will be lucky to get pennies on the dollar for what were brand new and only worn a few times articles of clothing. The fact that I had to argue just to get a written acknowledgement from them really ticked me off. They kept stonewalling, trying to delay it and telling me it would "take a long time."

I was obviously not looking for "value" (used in your terms I think you mean cheap) or I would have taken some mass market line. I find it rather offensive that you would say that. It wasn't about the money, and anyone who thinks it was is sadly mistaken.

Again, RZ3 and I both had the same impression of our cruise. No one else was on that sailing, so how anyone else can imply that we are lying is beyond me. I guess you are all mind readers.

Emdee, my pricing did not include any airfare or hotel We booked that all on our own.

I reported the missing items to the PG, even got a written report from them that I had to argue for and was stonewalled to get. The PG knows about it, in my opinion it should be them contacting me. They are the ones that need to follow up, I have put in a claim with my insurance, however I will be lucky to get pennies on the dollar for what were brand new and only worn a few times articles of clothing. The fact that I had to argue just to get a written acknowledgement from them really ticked me off. They kept stonewalling, trying to delay it and telling me it would "take a long time."

I was obviously not looking for "value" (used in your terms I think you mean cheap) or I would have taken some mass market line. I find it rather offensive that you would say that. It wasn't about the money, and anyone who thinks it was is sadly mistaken.

Again, RZ3 and I both had the same impression of our cruise. No one else was on that sailing, so how anyone else can imply that we are lying is beyond me. I guess you are all mind readers.

Kumbaya here we go again..... love that Twin....

I would NEVER presume to call you or anyone cheap - I would like to think that I have more class than that. When I say value I mean exactly that. Value does not have much to do with money IMO its what you get out of something. To Whitman the value was in a blade of grass instead of the journeywork of the stars. I am honestly a more 'journey work of the stars' person and what better place to see them than on the deck of the PG in FP, or to feel the spirit of those gone before standing by guardhouse at the top of Machu Pichu or to almost sense the presence of the gods on a misty morning in Delphi! This is how I find value.

I still maintain that you should file a complaint with the PG on the missing clothes but I guess its up to you.

On another note werent you part of the group who lost their deposits with the California wine tour guy and then PG made good your lost deposit although they never received it. I seem to remember a post on the board on this subject.

Kumbaya here we go again..... love that Twin....

I would NEVER presume to call you or anyone cheap - I would like to think that I have more class than that. When I say value I mean exactly that. Value does not have much to do with money IMO its what you get out of something. To Whitman the value was in a blade of grass instead of the journeywork of the stars. I am honestly a more 'journey work of the stars' person and what better place to see them than on the deck of the PG in FP, or to feel the spirit of those gone before standing by guardhouse at the top of Machu Pichu or to almost sense the presence of the gods on a misty morning in Delphi! This is how I find value.

I still maintain that you should file a complaint with the PG on the missing clothes but I guess its up to you.

On another note werent you part of the group who lost their deposits with the California wine tour guy and then PG made good your lost deposit although they never received it. I seem to remember a post on the board on this subject.

Not California, but yes. However when you do the math, because we didn't get airfare or hotel included, PG still made out in the deal--particularly because they didn't order nearly enough wine (and mostly the second label) and ran out before the cruise was over. Yet again another disappointment.

Not California, but yes. However when you do the math, because we didn't get airfare or hotel included, PG still made out in the deal--particularly because they didn't order nearly enough wine (and mostly the second label) and ran out before the cruise was over. Yet again another disappointment.

Ducklite, in your review you mentioned savings by not booking the air and hotel.

I think the PG deposit is 20% so if PG forgave you that money they did not receive because your tour operator absconded with the deposit then you were certainly made somewhat whole from your loss which by the way had nothing to do with PG. I only repeat this here as others may not have remembered the postings and concern which some of the people on your tour felt at the time and expressed on this board.

I do understand your disappointment on the wine as sometimes cruise line wines are less than stellar - its easier to just take a case of the stuff on board so you have what you want when you want. I recall one poster on the PG board who did do that not so long ago. We have also bought quite a few bottles when we have been on other ships as well including Azamara, Tere Moana and Regent. I barely drink so it doesnt matter to me but both DH and DD Chiara love a good wine! Its just easier to make ones own arrangements then rather than be disappointed.