Newbie to NCL: Epic Questions

Just booked the Epic for Thanksgiving, previously sailed Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean. This will be my 13th cruise. I booked my first balcony which I am excited. With this booking we got some perks. 100.00 on board credit, coupon book and free bottle of wine and dinner to the Italian restaurant? How do I schedule what day we are to dine at the Italian place? What is in the coupon book? Do we get that when we board? Do they have a comedy club like carnival? Can you pre book the entertainment? With so many people on board does everyone have a chance to see the entertainment? Or is it first come first serve? Does anyone have a link to the daily dinner menus in the main dinning room so you can decide which day to book speciality restaurants. What is the dress code for the main dining room, is there a dress code for the speciality restaurants? I know food is subjective but if you wanted to try 1 or 2 of the speciality dining options which one is a must? I just really hope this cruise lives up to the others. I'm excited to try something new just hope I don't regret it. Any advise you can provide I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

wow. lots of questions. Have you tried reading the FAQ's on the NCL website, or any of the reviews here? There are also recent threads about the differences between NCL and other cruise lines that you would find informative.

Here's a good start. There's a response (by me) in this thread with lots of links to read

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2037662

Edited by sdmike

I broke the questions out to make them easier to read and then added my answers below...

How do I schedule what day we are to dine at the Italian place?

You can either book in advance on the NCL web site (45 days before your cruise) or you can book on the ship at any restaurant, through your TV or through the iConcierge iPhone and Android app.

What is in the coupon book?

If it is the same one that we got it had some spa discounts and similar things. We didn't find anything in there that we would use.

Do we get that when we board?

It was sent to us via e-mail from our TA, but I think you can algo download it from your reservation on the NCL web site.

Do they have a comedy club like carnival?

No. At least we didn't see one. But, they do have a Second City comedy and improv group on board.

Can you pre book the entertainment?

You can prebook Blue Man Group and Second City on the NCL web site or once on board.

With so many people on board does everyone have a chance to see the entertainment? Or is it first come first serve?

We didn't have any trouble getting reservations. Those with reservations are let in first and then anyone without a reservation is let in if there are seats available.

Does anyone have a link to the daily dinner menus in the main dinning room so you can decide which day to book speciality restaurants.

Sample menus are on the NCL web site. Full menus are posted around here somewhere.

What is the dress code for the main dining room, is there a dress code for the speciality restaurants?

There are two main dining rooms. Taste is casual (shorts for men, etc.) and the Manhattan Room is slightly fancier (no shorts for men). The specialty restaurants are all casual except Le Bistro. Details are on the NCL web site.

I know food is subjective but if you wanted to try 1 or 2 of the speciality dining options which one is a must?

For us, Cagney's was the best. We ate there three times. Then, in order of preference, Moderno, La Cucina and then Le Bistro. We didn't try the Chinese restaurant or Teppanyaki but heard good things about them.

Also, the only thing we pre-booked was Blue Man Group, and we really didn't need to. We booked the specialty restaurants the day of dining and had no trouble getting reservations. We even looked at Teppanyaki and there were openings as long as you were flexible with the time.

As has been said, you can book Blue Man ahead of time. The Cirque show is very good, but costs extra for dinner.

I would not be overly concerned about booking restaurants ahead of time.

There always seems to be plenty of room. The only one that could be a problem is Teppanyaki.

You need to look at O'Sheehan's. It is free and they have nightly specials.

When we sailed thay had prime rib one night and bbq ribs another.

We ate in La Cucina the first night and it was practically empty.

Just booked the Epic for Thanksgiving, previously sailed Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean. This will be my 13th cruise. I booked my first balcony which I am excited. With this booking we got some perks. 100.00 on board credit, coupon book and free bottle of wine and dinner to the Italian restaurant? How do I schedule what day we are to dine at the Italian place?

You will have a confirmation, 3 ways, book at the restaurant reservation desk. Ring them or book at the restaurant. Hand the booking in in arrival and your bill will be zero

What is in the coupon book?

Everyone gets one with buy one get one free offers, slot pulls, few dollars off things etc

Do we get that when we board?

Left in the cabin

Do they have a comedy club like carnival?

Headliners next to the main theatre alternates between duelling pianos and comedy

Can you pre book the entertainment?

45 days out log onto your booking and book the blue man, legends etc

With so many people on board does everyone have a chance to see the entertainment?

Yes every cabin gets to reserve each show but you can also line up before the doors close to take empty seats if any left

Or is it first come first serve? Does anyone have a link to the daily dinner menus in the main dinning room so you can decide which day to book speciality restaurants.

You need to search for these, they are posted regularly on cc

What is the dress code for the main dining room, is there a dress code for the speciality restaurants?

They differ. Some allow shorts and others don't. All allow jeans. They tell you on the daily newsletter

I know food is subjective but if you wanted to try 1 or 2 of the speciality dining options which one is a must?

Absolutely subjective, personally on epic, le bistro, moderns and cagneys for us

I just really hope this cruise lives up to the others. I'm excited to try something new just hope I don't regret it. Any advise you can provide I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I've broken it down above

Just booked the Epic for Thanksgiving, previously sailed Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean. This will be my 13th cruise. I booked my first balcony which I am excited. With this booking we got some perks. 100.00 on board credit, coupon book and free bottle of wine and dinner to the Italian restaurant? How do I schedule what day we are to dine at the Italian place? What is in the coupon book? Do we get that when we board? Do they have a comedy club like carnival? Can you pre book the entertainment? With so many people on board does everyone have a chance to see the entertainment? Or is it first come first serve? Does anyone have a link to the daily dinner menus in the main dinning room so you can decide which day to book speciality restaurants. What is the dress code for the main dining room, is there a dress code for the speciality restaurants? I know food is subjective but if you wanted to try 1 or 2 of the speciality dining options which one is a must? I just really hope this cruise lives up to the others. I'm excited to try something new just hope I don't regret it. Any advise you can provide I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

We are also on the Epic for Thanksgiving :) this will be our 3rd time on the ship, and we love it. We usually travel on sold out, spring break cruises, and we have never had a problem with crowding on this ship. It is laid out very well.

The only dress code is for the Manhattan dining room and Le Bistro. No shorts. Jeans are fine, just no shorts. Cagney's is a must. Le Bistro was just so-so last time we went (on Getaway).

Everyone gets the coupon book, at least we always have. It's electronic. As for booking your restaurants and shows, you can do so 45 days in advance. You really don't have to pre-book for the restaurants. The exception being Thanksgiving. If you want to eat in a speciality on Thanksgiving, you should probably pre-book that. Make sure you pre-book Blue Man Group. We saw it twice and will ship this time, but it's a good show.