Special Train from Civitavecchia to San Pietro and back?

seajp

Things to consider when planning a day in Rome-

Are you well versed in all aspects of Rome, it's history and familiar with maps and walking tours. Are you the type of person who enjoys getting lost, walking and hopping on public transportation? If that's you- DIY it.

Are you a chronic worrier that will be checking your watch to make sure you will get back to the train or bus on time? Then do an all day ship sponsored tour. This way you don't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time.

Or do you have limited mobility or don't want to walk in the heat or rain? Then you should do a full day guided ship or private tour that caters to your physical limitations.

Do you want to have a more intimate tour, where you can spend as much time at each site as you like? Then do a private tour with one of the many companies people have suggested on this site.

From what I understand- the ship train guarantees you a seat in relative comfort but I'm not sure that it is better than the less expensive bus version offered by the cruise lines ($59 and takes 1.5 hours each way). I did the ship bus and it was nice. I enjoyed the ease of it.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Thankyou for the info about the ship bus. That does sound a cheaper alternative. CruiseMom I understand how the timetable could be detrimental. Maybe we were lucky but the timetable worked really well for our ship. But whether that's always the case is part of the research. Having read through all of your posts and many others in preparation and decided what was the best option for us. I did consider the public train and in the end just paid for the ship train. Which had many carriages and was full.

Rome was the only port we used the ship service and the rest were DIY.

I don't take kindly to those posters who consider me foolish. There are many ways those might consider spending their money that I would never do but I'd not call them foolish. They just have different priorities to me.

Important Information off the Fast Train Website

Due to restructuring work done at the port of Civitavecchia, during the 2014 season travelers are not allowed to exit the port from the south most exit, which was located only 4 blocks from the train station. As of the end of April, travelers are being dropped off by the free port mobility shuttle at the North Gate, which is located 1 mile(or 1.5 km) away from the train station. For this reason the whole train solution is not something we suggest as you need to allocate up to 1 hour time to reach the train station from your ship.

Important Information off the Fast Train Website

Due to restructuring work done at the port of Civitavecchia, during the 2014 season travelers are not allowed to exit the port from the south most exit, which was located only 4 blocks from the train station. As of the end of April, travelers are being dropped off by the free port mobility shuttle at the North Gate, which is located 1 mile(or 1.5 km) away from the train station. For this reason the whole train solution is not something we suggest as you need to allocate up to 1 hour time to reach the train station from your ship.

And of course they would say that, as it only benefits them. There's nothing new, nor particularly important, about this. We've been talking about the change in drop off location, and the resulting longer (9/10ths of a mile vs. one half mile) walk to the train station, for weeks.

Edited by euro cruiser

This reminds me of one cruise a few years ago, where the Captain came on the intercom the night before Rome and said, "due to a train strike tomorrow, we recommend you take one of the ship's excursions into Rome." I was pretty sure that was a bunch of BS so in the AM I roused my group early and we headed right to the station--where the trains were running right on schedule.

As it turned out, the bus drivers were on strike from like 1-3 PM--we saw lots of people lined up at the stops, so we just hopped into a cab to get to the Vatican and then back to port from the San Pietro station.

I was pretty mad that the cruiseline took advantage of a VERY minor strike to hornswoggle people into spending money needlessly. When I questioned this tactic at Guest Services (a place I almost never visit! but I was really peeved) they shrugged and said, "we just heard there was going to be a strike, we didn't know any details." Fiddlesticks!!

Cathy, I had a similar experience on NCL when the excursion salesman insisted that Naples was far too dangerous for anyone to attempt on their own. I asked him for details and statistics to support his claims which, of course, he didn't have. His job was to sell, the tactics were apparently "whatever it takes".

And of course they would say that, as it only benefits them. There's nothing new, nor particularly important, about this. We've been talking about the change in drop off location, and the resulting longer (9/10ths of a mile vs. one half mile) walk to the train station, for weeks.

This quote was from the Fast Train website and has nothing to do with the cruise line.

As for strikes, which are mentioned in the following posts, they are a common event in Europe and have been problematic. The cruise line has to mention this because it can happen and does happen. When it does the situation may not be resolved for hours. My flight from Madrid to Paris was delayed due to an air traffic control strike. Our LONG train ride in Italy was disrupted by a food service strike. The train ran but with no food or beverage. In 2007, there was a public transportation strike that occurred when I arrived at Marco Polo airport. I was told that my bus was the last one running. I made it but there were no vaporetto or bus service in Venice for 6 hours. This is my experience. It would be wrong of the cruise line not to warm people of an impending mass transit or train strikes. Maybe the trains leaving that morning wouldn't be effected but if the strike did happen- the strike may have impacted returning trains.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

This quote was from the Fast Train website and has nothing to do with the cruise line.

As for strikes, which are mentioned in the following posts, they are a common event in Europe and have been problematic. The cruise line has to mention this because it can happen and does happen. When it does the situation may not be resolved for hours. My flight from Madrid to Paris was delayed due to an air traffic control strike. Our LONG train ride in Italy was disrupted by a food service strike. The train ran but with no food or beverage. In 2007, there was a public transportation strike that occurred when I arrived at Marco Polo airport. I was told that my bus was the last one running. I made it but there were no vaporetto or bus service in Venice for 6 hours. This is my experience. It would be wrong of the cruise line not to warm people of an impending mass transit or train strikes. Maybe the trains leaving that morning wouldn't be effected but if the strike did happen- the strike may have impacted returning trains.

Yes, and while it's incredibly disruptive when it happens to you, a rudimentary understanding of statistics shows that your personal experience is not representative of the norm. Yes, strikes happen but no, they are not "common", unless your understanding of common is less than 3% of the time. Is that what you meant by "common"?

When it happens on your vacation, it doesn't matter how common or uncommon it is ... it just sucks. The cruise line mentions it because it helps them sell overpriced excursions to folks who are easily scared or led.

I agree that it would be wrong for them not to mention a strike that might impact their passengers, but they go far beyond that. They imply that wildcat strikes could screw up DIY passengers, when in fact wildcat strikes are almost unknown in Europe. That's an American invention.

Then your reference to Barnum is rude.

The train schedule allows people (us) to visit the Sistine Chapel, the Basilica, the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, pizza and wine for lunch, tour the Ruins near the Colosseum, and another coffee break, then return to the ship just 20 minutes before sailaway. Their schedule allows more sightseeing than catching the public train. We didn't have to be at St Pietro until 4.30pm having arrived there at 9.30am and knew the ship would wait for us. So where do you get idea of the restricted schedule from?

Truly sorry your saw my response as "rude" rather then informative. Must admit that we often wonder about posters who seek out info, but then reject everyone's responses and do what they intended in the first place. Having helped thousands over the years we have learned not to take any of this CC stuff personal. When we suggest ways that folks can save lots of money (especially on European cruises) we are aware that some cruises have no interest in saving money, which is totally a personal decision. Some cruisers have discovered that the cost of "organized excursions" can often exceed the cost of the entire cruise and they prefer to look at ways to stretch their dollars (whether they be US, Canadian or Aussie dollars).

For those who have no interest in saving money we say Have a Great Cruise and thanks for enhancing the bottom line of the Cruise Line (we are stockholders :).

Hank

Hank, I wasn't seeking advice from anyone. I merely provided my choice of transport for the trip we did 2 years ago. And it should have been left at that without the need for you and others to "walk away from the computer"; discuss fools and their money yada yada. I'm not travelling to Rome in my future and really think when providing an OP with options there was simply no space for the unnecessary insults as to what was my choice.

Hang on! I am being maligned here! I wasn't referring to you when I said 'step away from the keyboard.' No need to be defensive, everybody travels in the way that's comfortable for them. Luckily there's lots of options

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hank, I wasn't seeking advice from anyone. I merely provided my choice of transport for the trip we did 2 years ago. And it should have been left at that without the need for you and others to "walk away from the computer"; discuss fools and their money yada yada. I'm not travelling to Rome in my future and really think when providing an OP with options there was simply no space for the unnecessary insults as to what was my choice.

At the risk of getting into a "cat fight" I have lots of issues with your post. You said, and I quote: The cruise line will run an express train to St Pietro for around $100 us per person"

Nowhere in your post did you say this was outdated 2 year old info. The reality is that most cruise lines do not currently offer this "express train" and we are not sure if anyone is doing it anymore. There is certainly nothing wrong with posting old info, but in order not to mislead anyone it would be helpful to mention that it was 2 year old info. We ourselves have made this kind of posting mistake and try hard to either be up to date with our info or specifically mention that its older info that should be checked out. So if we sometimes appear to insult a poster who puts up inaccurate info, then we will have to take the fall! There are those here on CC who catch my errors, and my normal reaction is to simply thank them and take their better info into account for future posts.

And we do not have any regret about calling this old Express Train a sucker expenditure of money. I would suspect that they are no longer routinely running those trains because there were not enough folks willing to pay that amount of money when there were other good options at far lower costs. We simply call it like we see it, and spending $100 per person for a train when one could take another train for less then $15 sounds like a questionable decision (at best). Others are free to disagree and we take no offense if they do :) What makes this a really good web site is that everyone can express their own opinions and other cruisers are free to accept or reject the info. But you have to wonder about an "express" train that would get somebody to S. Pietro Station more then an hour later then the much cheaper slow regional train.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Fast Track trains have been suspended for 2014. They are offering a bus instead for 19 Euros roundtrip, which is very reasonable.

One problem with the bus is that it's subject to traffic jams on the road, which of course the train is exempt from. Also is there just one bus per day and do you know what time it leaves and departs--you know what I mean!

The bus departs at 9:30 and leaves Rome at 4PM- arriving in Civitavecchia at 5:30. Most cruise ship are in port until 7PM- so doesn't seem risky. I did the cruise ship bus and there were no delays coming or going from Rome. The journey they earmark as 1 hr. 30 min but in reality it takes a bit less time. both ways took approximately 1 hr 20 min.

The bus departs at 9:30 and leaves Rome at 4PM- arriving in Civitavecchia at 5:30. Most cruise ship are in port until 7PM- so doesn't seem risky. I did the cruise ship bus and there were no delays coming or going from Rome. The journey they earmark as 1 hr. 30 min but in reality it takes a bit less time. both ways took approximately 1 hr 20 min.

Our problem with these buses is the late departure. Port time is precious in Civitavecchia because of the relatively long travel time to and from Rome (and some other areas such as Tivoli). Most cruise ships dock in this port quite early and are often cleared before 7:30. When we decide to go into Rome we are usually able to catch a train a little before 8 and can be at S. Pietro before 9 or in Termini by 9:15. A 9:30 bus (assuming it leaves on time) would generally not even get into Rome until nearly 11, depriving folks of 2 good hours in an already too short visit. And for those that want to browse the shops in Rome (not my style) one must remember that this is Italy and many stores are closed during most of the afternoon. So getting into any Italian (or French) city in the morning is very important for multiple reasons. We do agree that the price is good and the return time reasonable. DW tells me to add her comment that she generally prefers train transportation because of the availability of toilets (even if they are a hole in the train floor). Her nightmare scenario is being trapped on a bus and needing to go to the potty :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am talking about the train that the ships contract. It takes an hour. The train was full of cruisers from all the ships in port. It was running last year. My Brother and sister in law have booked it for this year. My info is current.

Unfortunately when you allude to people being fools, especially me, I'm going to bite back. Your post was an opinion of my choices. You have the right to express your opinion of services provided but having an own opinion does not extend to calling people fools.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from my Epic cruise and they did have the special express train Roma S. Pietro Station. Cost was 20 Euro for adults and half price for children.

Worth the ride that goes direct to Vatican station.

I just got back from my Epic cruise and they did have the special express train Roma S. Pietro Station. Cost was 20 Euro for adults and half price for children.

Worth the ride that goes direct to Vatican station.

Just keep in mind that all the regional trains also stop at the S. Pietro Station.

Hank