Special Train from Civitavecchia to San Pietro and back?

seajp

Does anyone know if they will have the special express train ro Rome on July 2nd?

Should I purchase the tickets online? If online, how soon can I purchase the tickets?

If no special train, are the regular trains in the morning crowded(7:50am)? We need to get to San Pietro Station by 9:30am and what is the last train back to the port before the ship(Epic) departs?

Thxs

Jin

The schedule for the cruise train has not been posted yet, if you want to be on the e-mail list when they release the schedule you can sign up here: http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/visiting-rome/excursions-by-train

However, the cruise train will not get you to the Roma S. Pietro station by 9:30 even if it is running on that day. The schedule is set to depart late enough for the port arrival of last cruise ship of the day.

July 2nd is a weekday so yes, the morning trains will be crowded with regular commuters in addition to cruise passengers.

Arrival at the Roma S. Pietro station by 9:30 means getting on either the 7:58 or the 8:44 trains from Civitavecchia. If your ship arrives at 7 and disembarks immediately and efficiently that should be easy.

As for the return, unless you share with us your departure time it's impossible to help you.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I contacted SmartCruiseTours last week & they have advised that the train isn't running this year. They are laying on a "HOHO" bus instead with an expected journey time of 1 1/2 hours.

Presumably it then goes on to do HOHO stops in Rome but they didn't say.

They intimated they had problems with the local operator

Consequently, I have booked 1st class seats on the intercity express train leaving Civitavecchia @ 9.35 arriving Roma Ostiense @ 10.18 & leaving Roma Termini @ 15.57 arriving Civitavecchia @ 16.45.

We'll just get a 1 day B.I.G ticket & Rome around (no pun intended)

Hope this helps

Hi - I contacted SmartCruiseTours last week & they have advised that the train isn't running this year. They are laying on a "HOHO" bus instead with an expected journey time of 1 1/2 hours.

Presumably it then goes on to do HOHO stops in Rome but they didn't say.

They intimated they had problems with the local operator

Consequently, I have booked 1st class seats on the intercity express train leaving Civitavecchia @ 9.35 arriving Roma Ostiense @ 10.18 & leaving Roma Termini @ 15.57 arriving Civitavecchia @ 16.45.

We'll just get a 1 day B.I.G ticket & Rome around (no pun intended)

Hope this helps

I used those exact trains this week. It worked well.

Just be aware that they have changed the shuttle bus drop off point, and it's now about double the distance walking to the station. I'd suggest leaving an extra 15 minutes so you don't need to rush.

The cruise line will run an express train to St Pietro for around $100 us per person. It's air conditioned and guaranteed seat. It's only for cruise passengers. We arrived at the Vatican in time for a 10am Sistine chapel Tour.

Edited by Pushka
efit

The cruise line will run an express train to St Pietro for around $100 us per person. It's air conditioned and guaranteed seat. It's only for cruise passengers. We arrived at the Vatican in time for a 10am Sistine chapel Tour.

$100 -- when you can take the regional train to Rome and back for 12 euro???

Edited by cruisemom42

When I'm on holiday I don't want to take a train and have to stand. When we were waiting for the train at St Pietro there were people who'd taken the regional train on the way to Rome begging to get back onto our train. Willing to pay a lot of money. Our train was full. They weren't allowed on obviously.

If you'd not taken this train then you wouldn't have seen those people who were not happy with the public train service.

Our choice enabled us to be in Rome at 9.30 and walk slowly to the Vatican Museum for a 10am pre booked tour before the Crowds. Then Basilica. Then Colosseum. And nice lunch. Walked around the area for hours and be back on the train and then to the ship 15 mins before sailaway. A perfect use of our time and money.

Guess it's how you value your comfort. Most of the train slept on the way back to Port leaving everyone refreshed for dinner.

I knew there was a cheap option and thought about it a lot. I've taken your advice on lots of travel tips CruiseMom and have to decide what's best for us and best use of our energy and vacation time. And we were pleased with our decision.

Not sure what your issue is Cathy. People make their own decisions and there's no need for anyone to get upset when people exercise their choice.

Edited by Pushka
edit

Pushka, the train I am talking about is the express train with reserved seats. First class was 28 euro for two adults and a child.

I agree, the regionals can be hard work , especially the return.

Hi Keith. I'm not sure that train was operating at the time I travelled. There was no schedule on the website and there was discussion on this forum at the time. Sounds good value though. We had OBC which offset our cost for the ships excursion. The only one we did through the ship.

Where can you book the express train to Rome ?? Can you book this ahead from the uk?

Go to trenitalia.com

The express in the morning only stops at Roma Ostiense, but there is a metro station (Piramide) connected to the station. It doesn't leave until about 9.30 though, so may not work if you want to make a very early start.

Returns go from Termini about each hour (we caught one at 3.37 and there was another at 4.37, I'm not sure after that).

If you want an earlier start than 9.30 then I'd suggest taking the regional train into Rome and booking a seat on the express to get back. It's the return which is the hardest leg on the regional, in my opinion, as you just want to get back to the ship.

First class isn't much more than second. We did one leg in each and there isn't a great deal of difference. We were in a compartment of just six seats in second class, whereas first was an open carriage but the seats were better.

There is an IC train each morning from Civitavecchia to Rome at 7:50 AM, which you may be able to make if your ship disembarks right away at 7 AM. This train has only two stops, Rome Ostiense and Rome Termini. This train is Euro 10,50 in second class and 14 Euro in first class.

After that the next express train isn't until 11:18 AM, much too late for a port day.

For the return there is a Frecciabianca at 4:57 PM, arriving at 5:39, which should be well before you need to be back.

The express in the morning only stops at Roma Ostiense, but there is a metro station (Piramide) connected to the station. It doesn't leave until about 9.30 though, so may not work if you want to make a very early start.

Returns go from Termini about each hour (we caught one at 3.37 and there was another at 4.37, I'm not sure after that).

I am not seeing these trains on Trenitalia, can you give me a train number?

We are booked on IC train 501 Civitavecchia to Rome Ostiense @ 9.35 arriving

10.18 - total cost 18 Euros for 2, 1st class with reserved seats 85 & 86

Return is IC train 518 Roma Termini to Civitavecchia @ 15.57 arriving 16.45

- total cost 22 Euros for 2, 1st class with reserved seats 75 & 76 (didn't want to risk later ones)

All booked online

Hope this helps

We are booked on IC train 501 Civitavecchia to Rome Ostiense @ 9.35 arriving

10.18 - total cost 18 Euros for 2, 1st class with reserved seats 85 & 86

Return is IC train 518 Roma Termini to Civitavecchia @ 15.57 arriving 16.45

- total cost 22 Euros for 2, 1st class with reserved seats 75 & 76 (didn't want to risk later ones)

All booked online

Hope this helps

Yes, those are the ones I used.

If people can't find the 501, it may be because it doesn't go to Termini, but to Ostiense. The train is going to Naples I believe.

We went for the 15.57 return as well to be safe. Thee was actually another one at 16.47 so our thinking was if we missed our original train then we would have the choice of trying to transfer to the later one (the tickets are transferable), or jumping on a regional one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
The schedule for the cruise train has not been posted yet, if you want to be on the e-mail list when they release the schedule you can sign up here: http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/visiting-rome/excursions-by-train

However, the cruise train will not get you to the Roma S. Pietro station by 9:30 even if it is running on that day. The schedule is set to depart late enough for the port arrival of last cruise ship of the day.

July 2nd is a weekday so yes, the morning trains will be crowded with regular commuters in addition to cruise passengers.

Arrival at the Roma S. Pietro station by 9:30 means getting on either the 7:58 or the 8:44 trains from Civitavecchia. If your ship arrives at 7 and disembarks immediately and efficiently that should be easy.

As for the return, unless you share with us your departure time it's impossible to help you.

Euro Cruiser thanks for the info.

I noticed that you can only reserve a ticket 7 days before the date of travel. If we take a train between 4-4:30pm back to port, should be enough time for departure at 6pm?

Seajp

Kind of brings back memories of P.T. Barnum. Consider that a regular regional train would cost you about 10% of that cost and the ride to S. Pietro is less then 1 hour. So, we are not sure why a couple would pay about $180 extra for that "special" train. Keep in mind that if you take a regional train, most folks can catch an early train (about 8) which would have you at S Pietro before 9. And DW reminds me that as much as we enjoy A/C, she will not pay $180 an hour for European A/C :).

Hank

After paying the airfare from Australia to Europe this fare is pretty trifling. And it's a three hour return journey but chuckle away to yourselves if that makes you feel clever. Never heard of PT Barnum but sounds like I don't need to.

I noticed that you can only reserve a ticket 7 days before the date of travel. If we take a train between 4-4:30pm back to port, should be enough time for departure at 6pm?

From Civitavecchia the ticket you want is the BIRG, a regional travel pass that includes round trip regional train fare as well as use of all metro, buses, and trams in Rome for the entire day. This ticket costs 12 Euro and can only be purchased locally (at the newsstand in the train station, or other newsstands in Civitavecchia).

If your ship departs the port at 6 PM you need to be on board by 5:30 PM. You also have to factor in time to get the shuttle bus from the train station and a possible wait for the shuttle bus to arrive. I'd allow 30 minutes for the walk (just under one mile) and 15 minutes for the shuttle bus. That means being on a train that arrives at Civitavecchia no later than 4:45 PM.

Add to that the common wisdom of taking NOT the last train that gets you there by that point, but the one before that (to give you some "pad").

That would mean being on the train that arrives at 4:18 PM (it leaves Termini at 3:12, Ostiense at 3:21, Trastevere at 3:25, and San Pietro at 3:30, which station you choose depends on where you end your day).

After paying the airfare from Australia to Europe this fare is pretty trifling. And it's a three hour return journey but chuckle away to yourselves if that makes you feel clever. Never heard of PT Barnum but sounds like I don't need to.

Not sure where you get 3 hours return. If you do round trip on the local train to and from S Pietro it is about 2 hours total (actually a bit less). If you happen to get the faster regional train it is only about 40 min one way. As to P.T. Barnum he is probably best known for the quote "there is a sucker born every minute." My other issue with "special" trains is that you must conform to their schedule. There is at least 1 train per hour (often more) between Civitavecchia and Rome and the regional trains stop at several different stations within the city of Rome. This allows for a great deal of flexibility, For example, you could the 7:58 from Civitavecchia and be at S. Pietro before 9. Perhaps you would then go to the Vatican. After the Vatican you might want to go see other parts of Rome (like the Spanish Steps or Trevi Fountain). If you purchases the low cost BIRG ticket (which includes round trip regional train plus unlimited all days use of Romes buses and metro) you could either grab a local bus or perhaps walk over to other areas in Rome. Using that same ticket you might later want to to catch a return train from Termini Station which is no problem.

Hank

Hank

Then your reference to Barnum is rude.

The train schedule allows people (us) to visit the Sistine Chapel, the Basilica, the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, pizza and wine for lunch, tour the Ruins near the Colosseum, and another coffee break, then return to the ship just 20 minutes before sailaway. Their schedule allows more sightseeing than catching the public train. We didn't have to be at St Pietro until 4.30pm having arrived there at 9.30am and knew the ship would wait for us. So where do you get idea of the restricted schedule from?

Edited by Pushka
edit

The train schedule allows people (us) to visit the Sistine Chapel, the Basilica, the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, pizza and wine for lunch, tour the Ruins near the Colosseum, and another coffee break, then return to the ship just 20 minutes before sailaway. Their schedule allows more sightseeing than catching the public train. We didn't have to be at St Pietro until 4.30pm having arrived there at 9.30am and knew the ship would wait for us. So where do you get idea of the restricted schedule from?

This is not meant as a jab at you. Clearly you thought through your day and decided the high cost of the train was worth it.

But to answer your question about how it is restricted:

1) Depending your ship's arrival time, you can catch an earlier train and be in Rome by 8:30 or so.

2) You can choose which station to get off at. If the Vatican isn't on your agenda that day, the San Pietro station is relatively inconvenient to the other sites of Rome and it is also not known to have a plethora of taxis and is not close to any metro stations.

3) The train's schedule is adjusted to accommodate the highest number of cruise ship passengers and ensure they make their departure. If someone's ship is leaving earlier than yours, the train will go back earlier. Some ships depart Rome as late as 9:00 pm at night.....but if you were on the special train, you'd still have to head back with the folks whose departure might be as early as 5pm.