Does NCL Star have an adult's only pool area?

momofmeg

I've sailed on both Royal Oasis class boats which have a lot of non-US passengers on-board during prime season (mainly from Europe). On average the non-US kids were more well behaved than US kids, and certainly more likely to be taken to specialty restaurants. Your results may vary.

As to adult areas, you may want to consider Royal (if you are in the mood to try something different). Their Solarium areas are 16+ only, and have a pool (Oasis class boats have hot tubs in the area as well).

I don't sail a lot of NCL due to their limited summer Caribbean routes, and the Royal Solarium is enough of a reason for me to pic them over the remaining options for the itineraries I want. I am rather anxious to experience the Haven courtyard this summer though, I just hope there aren't too many "extra" Haven keys printed that week for use by non Haven guests.

Do you think European tweenies are better behaved than American kids of that age? From what I have seen kids are pretty much the same. However, that is okay, I will pay for the passes if we do book this.
Edited by JasonV1

I've sailed on both Royal Oasis class boats which have a lot of non-US passengers on-board during prime season (mainly from Europe). On average the non-US kids were more well behaved than US kids, and certainly more likely to be taken to specialty restaurants. Your results may vary.

As to adult areas, you may want to consider Royal (if you are in the mood to try something different). Their Solarium areas are 16+ only, and have a pool (Oasis class boats have hot tubs in the area as well).

I don't sail a lot of NCL due to their limited summer Caribbean routes, and the Royal Solarium is enough of a reason for me to pic them over the remaining options for the itineraries I want. I am rather anxious to experience the Haven courtyard this summer though, I just hope there aren't too many "extra" Haven keys printed that week for use by non Haven guests.

Jason, for the ports this is the ONLY cruise period that offers what I want. We do like Celebrity and Royal both for their adult only solarium. Of course our last Constellation cruise that was not enforced very well-but that is another story-lol! RCI Serenade of the Seas is offering a couple of the Norway fjords port itineraries but no Scotland or Ireland. We really want the Scotland ports too. At least we have been to Ireland before but would not mind going there again.

RCI is running a sale now too so we could save a good bit. The problem is no tour companies doing Scotland tours have itineraries or prices up for May 2015 and after. So right now we are in a waiting game to decide which we want to do.

The NCL star cruise is September 24, 2015, so we can wait until this fall to decide, that would still be a year out.

Since I really like the NCL Star itinerary for that particular cruise I do feel that would be much simpler to plan. but hubby like s the idea of actually spending time in Scotland too.

• 3 weeks later...
We bought the Spa Passes on our last two Star cruises and it definitely was the place to escape from the kids especially on a Christmas cruise. Not only do you the have pool, but you have multiple hot tubs, sauna and steam rooms (single sex area). The lounges in the back are a good place to read or stare out the windows and watch the sea behind the ship. One day we watched a pod of dolphins playing in the wake of the ship for over an hour. Plus, they have a juice, coffee and tea station in the area. Also, the spa has nice big showers... don't think we used the shower in our cabin all week.

Since they only sell a limited number of spa passes, you need to buy it early on the first day on the ship.

Hi Chris - you mentioned that you purchased the spa pass on you last two cruises on the Star. We have a cruise planned in October for 14 nights and wondered what kind of price we may be looking at for that long of a trip. Are there any discounts if you are in a suite?

Royal has the Solarium for 16+, usually has a pool or pool+hot tub. Separate area too.

I want an area where kdis are not allowed. Not a hot tub that says no one under 18 that kids still use. I don't mean an adult pool right next to the pool with a slide for families either like the Pearl had. I want a peaceful kid free spot. I paid my time being a young mother, been there done that, now I deserve a kid free area.

Does the spa have a T pool? That would be worth buying a pass. Any pool in the spa?

Hi Chris - you mentioned that you purchased the spa pass on you last two cruises on the Star. We have a cruise planned in October for 14 nights and wondered what kind of price we may be looking at for that long of a trip. Are there any discounts if you are in a suite?

Did some searching in CC to find current prices for the Spa Pass - I found this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42519691&postcount=6 where they claimed to pay $119 for a 7-day pass in April 2014 on the Star. I also found 9-day at $139 (July 2013) and 12-day at $179 (December 2013). My hunch is you are looking at around $199 for 14-day.

We could not find any discounts for the pass... the Latitudes discount of 15%/20%/25% only applies to Spa Services and not the pass. Take the Spa Tour after lunch on your first day and see if it fits your needs. The good thing is not all passengers in your cabin are required to buy a pass like the beverage programs.

Did some searching in CC to find current prices for the Spa Pass - I found this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42519691&postcount=6 where they claimed to pay $119 for a 7-day pass in April 2014 on the Star. I also found 9-day at $139 (July 2013) and 12-day at $179 (December 2013). My hunch is you are looking at around $199 for 14-day.

We could not find any discounts for the pass... the Latitudes discount of 15%/20%/25% only applies to Spa Services and not the pass. Take the Spa Tour after lunch on your first day and see if it fits your needs. The good thing is not all passengers in your cabin are required to buy a pass like the beverage programs.

Thank you so much for your help. Yep, it looks like $199. I am still trying to decide if it's worth it but I have a feeling that since we already splurged so far, we might as well do it up right. I remember touring the spa on my cruise last year on the Star and fell in love with the peacefulness and view from the lounge chairs. I wasn't willing to pay that much last year however, I am not sure I was clear on what the spa pass even was since it was my first cruise. I appreciate your help...now I have some time to plant the seed so my husband is okay with it too. :p

Royal has the Solarium for 16+, usually has a pool or pool+hot tub. Separate area too.

Yep and I love that about RCI radiance class ships, I also love that about Celebrity. However, if we book this cruise it is for the ports.

Thank you so much for your help. Yep, it looks like $199. I am still trying to decide if it's worth it but I have a feeling that since we already splurged so far, we might as well do it up right. I remember touring the spa on my cruise last year on the Star and fell in love with the peacefulness and view from the lounge chairs. I wasn't willing to pay that much last year however, I am not sure I was clear on what the spa pass even was since it was my first cruise. I appreciate your help...now I have some time to plant the seed so my husband is okay with it too. :p

I know the feeling about buying the Spa Pass or not since it is a chunk of change... last time, I hemmed and hawked about it before I committed. After I got it, I was glad I did. Still not sure if I want it on our Panama Canal cruise in November or not yet. But, with 6 sea days, it would be a nice place to retreat. Most likely, we will be spending the Sea Days in the thermal spa.

I know the feeling about buying the Spa Pass or not since it is a chunk of change... last time, I hemmed and hawked about it before I committed. After I got it, I was glad I did. Still not sure if I want it on our Panama Canal cruise in November or not yet. But, with 6 sea days, it would be a nice place to retreat. Most likely, we will be spending the Sea Days in the thermal spa.

I planted the seed with my husband last night so he isn't so shocked when we buy it because I think I have already made the decision that we should. :). Our Panama Canal trip leaves in Oct out of Miami...are you taking the next one out leaving from L.A.? I can't wait!

It is nice and cool in the spa whereas outside it is broiling-a good value I do believe you would find it!

I planted the seed with my husband last night so he isn't so shocked when we buy it because I think I have already made the decision that we should. :). Our Panama Canal trip leaves in Oct out of Miami...are you taking the next one out leaving from L.A.? I can't wait!

We leave Miami on November 17th after the ship returns east from your trip. Enjoy...

Yes, I understood, that is fine, I only asked that because that is what the Pearl had. I mainly wanted a place to chill minus kids. As it only takes a couple of rowdy kids on the slide to take away my peace.

You will LOVE the spa! There are two different types of T-pools, the lap pool, the loungers, sauna, steam....it's bliss!

Yes, the Star spa is very nice, adults only. We took the tour but DH would not spring for it, lol. We were in the ocean at most of the ports so I guess that was okay We spent 28 days on the Star and loved it. The crew is fabulous and the hotel director, Tony Winkler, was the best we've ever had on any line.

The Star spa should give you exactly what you want.

edu8u7ad.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim