Haven Tipping Question

jfried8

When in Haven on the sundeck, if you order food or drink, is tip part of the daily service charge or do you have to tip these servers separately?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

My understanding is that a) all bar drinks have a gratuity added already, and b) the Haven/courtyard valets that bring food and drinks are not covered in the daily service charge. I don't know about the larger ships; my information is from the Jewel class ships.

So wait... Every time I order food while sitting in the Haven, I'll have to have cash on me? That ruins the experience somewhat.... Can someone verify?

So wait... Every time I order food while sitting in the Haven, I'll have to have cash on me? That ruins the experience somewhat.... Can someone verify?

The way I handle it is to mentally keep track of how much I use the valet and then at the end of the cruise find them to give them a gratuity for the entire cruise.

room service is covered in the daily auto tip so relax no need to carry cash with you.

This isn't room service...and even if it was it's customary to tip for room service .

By the way, NCL doesn't have anything called a "daily auto tip", and thery make it very clear in their FAQs that tipping and the service charge are two different things.

Edited by njhorseman

I am confused too, from what I hear all pool decks on the away ships have crew who are bringing drink, snacks, cool towels... that it is not just haven or vibe. So, who are these crew members and are they covered by the service charge? I would hope so... since I doubt people in bathing suits are tipping cash as they go.

I am confused too, from what I hear all pool decks on the away ships have crew who are bringing drink, snacks, cool towels... that it is not just haven or vibe. So, who are these crew members and are they covered by the service charge? I would hope so... since I doubt people in bathing suits are tipping cash as they go.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone bringing cool towels and snacks on the public pool decks in recent years, but if they do there's no tipping required.

No one is "bringing" drinks. There are cocktail waiters roaming the pool decks that take orders for drinks. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to the checks for those drinks.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone bringing cool towels and snacks on the public pool decks in recent years, but if they do there's no tipping required.

No one is "bringing" drinks. There are cocktail waiters roaming the pool decks that take orders for drinks. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to the checks for those drinks.

I have seen several reviews that at even the regular pool of the getaway they have had someone handing out cool towels, fruit skewers, and little smoothies.... I don't know it first hand but will find out in September . My point is that who ever these crew are I am guessing they are included in the daily service charge.

So in the haven I am hearing they do the above plus are like a bar/snack hop too? I have heard some say they are courtyard butlers? That's where I am still confused, is there more than one day (and one night if used) butler to tip?

Edited by figgifumi

We just came off the Breakaway April 27th and stayed in the Haven and also had passes to the Vibe.

Here you go: When we ordered food at either the pool in the Haven or at the Vibe they bring you a check to sign for the food and or drinks. there is a spot on the check for "additional tip" If you want you can just add a couple of dollars to the check if you feel like it. if not leave it blank.

All the wait staff in the Have share the Daily charge you have to pay for each person in the room.

Want Great Service? As soon as you get to the Haven( or to your cabin outside the Haven) and meet your Butler. Hand him a $20.00 bill tell him you want the mini bar empty, that you need your ice bucket filled everyday, you will be amazed what service you get. Then at the end of the cruise give him or her an envelope(WITH CASH) with whatever you think they earned for the week.

Same for the Vibe. 1st Day we went to the Vibe and met the Bartender and Waiter and gave both a $50.00 bill and guess what?

Everyday when we entered either the Haven pool or Vibe we had drinks waiting for us, Chilled towels, fruit, Also we brought people up to the Vibe that could not get passes and they never questioned us.

Almost everyperson on the ship works for tips, Show them you appreciate that and your cruise will be the best every.

Don't do it and boss them around and ask for stuff that they have to go out of thier normal job to do for you and you will notice it.

Bottom line: They work hard to make sure that your every need is taken care of. Treat them with respect and show them you Appreciate what they do. And you just might feel better about yourself.

Enjoy the cruise.

We just came off the Breakaway April 27th and stayed in the Haven and also had passes to the Vibe.

Here you go: When we ordered food at either the pool in the Haven or at the Vibe they bring you a check to sign for the food and or drinks. there is a spot on the check for "additional tip" If you want you can just add a couple of dollars to the check if you feel like it. if not leave it blank.

All the wait staff in the Have share the Daily charge you have to pay for each person in the room.

Want Great Service? As soon as you get to the Haven( or to your cabin outside the Haven) and meet your Butler. Hand him a $20.00 bill tell him you want the mini bar empty, that you need your ice bucket filled everyday, you will be amazed what service you get. Then at the end of the cruise give him or her an envelope(WITH CASH) with whatever you think they earned for the week.

Same for the Vibe. 1st Day we went to the Vibe and met the Bartender and Waiter and gave both a $50.00 bill and guess what?

Everyday when we entered either the Haven pool or Vibe we had drinks waiting for us, Chilled towels, fruit, Also we brought people up to the Vibe that could not get passes and they never questioned us.

Almost everyperson on the ship works for tips, Show them you appreciate that and your cruise will be the best every.

Don't do it and boss them around and ask for stuff that they have to go out of thier normal job to do for you and you will notice it.

Bottom line: They work hard to make sure that your every need is taken care of. Treat them with respect and show them you Appreciate what they do. And you just might feel better about yourself.

Enjoy the cruise.

Ed - I will be first timer in Haven in June. Do I need Vibe as well? What is the plus side for Vibe over Haven?

Ed - I will be first timer in Haven in June. Do I need Vibe as well? What is the plus side for Vibe over Haven?

Hi. I was wondering the same thing. I will be on the Getaway in the Haven, is the vibe a good thing to get also. Was the Haven deck busy?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have seen several reviews that at even the regular pool of the getaway they have had someone handing out cool towels, fruit skewers, and little smoothies.... I don't know it first hand but will find out in September ��. My point is that who ever these crew are I am guessing they are included in the daily service charge.

So in the haven I am hearing they do the above plus are like a bar/snack hop too? I have heard some say they are courtyard butlers? That's where I am still confused, is there more than one day (and one night if used) butler to tip?

Now that you mentioned it , I do recall the fruit skewers one day when I was at the main pool. I can't recall whether that sort of thing is was distributed by bar waiters or restaurant staff, but regardless it wouldn't be something you're expected to tip for.

There are courtyard butlers...and if you use their services they should be tipped. And if you use the services of a night butler, that person should also be tipped. (Both cases are in addition to what you may tip your assigned suite butler.) The butlers that serve the suite passengers aren't compensated from the service charge pool because only a small percentage of passengers utilize their services.

The Vibe is Adults Only. You have to Pay for the Vibe it is an extra $79 for the week.

The Haven is inclosed with a roof that opens. The Vibe is just above the Haven in the front of the ship. Worth every penny!

I am going on the Breakaway to Bermuda and we are staying in the Haven Penthouse, my son, daughter in law and grandson are staying in balcony room. My question is can I bring them to the haven courtyard pool area? And can they eat with us in the Haven dinning room.

I am going on the Breakaway to Bermuda and we are staying in the Haven Penthouse, my son, daughter in law and grandson are staying in balcony room. My question is can I bring them to the haven courtyard pool area? And can they eat with us in the Haven dinning room.

No you cannot and no they cannot.

You can bring them to your suite.

The Vibe is Adults Only. You have to Pay for the Vibe it is an extra $79 for the week.

The Haven is inclosed with a roof that opens. The Vibe is just above the Haven in the front of the ship. Worth every penny!

Hmmm, I am not sure which ship are you talking about. Probably not the Getaway.

I am just off the Getaway, and really not understand the added value of the VIBE there, since on the Haven deck (the same 17th deck as the VIBE) there are 2 person Cabanas and loads of beds. It is not closed at all.... and in fact it is even better as it extends to the fron of the ship so you can also look ahead. The place was NEVER crowded and despite having families with children in the Haven it was always relaxing (as children usually went for the main pools, slides, Splash Academy, Ropes Course, whatever.)

Regarding the staff and the tipping: Cold towels were distributed throughout all the pools and ice cream was also distributed "free of charge" (Haven and the public pools alike). In addition, in the Haven they brought around cold fruit skewers - no charge. They were waiters or bar staff. No extra tipping needed.

We stayed in a Haven Suite and even without tipping the butler she brought fresh ice every day.

We tipped at the last day, based on the level of service provided, to the butler, but even more to the concierge.

Utas2

I believe you can. However it is $25 per person for them.