Why PG...Why?

datman57

Would suggest you write about this officer directly to PG cruises.

I can only say we have never lost any clothes when sent to the cleaners and always leave anything and everything outside including laptops, ipads and cameras and have never had a problem. So since you had a problem you should write about this too.

We also have never had an issue with anything missing and as Emdee stated we leave out pretty much everything ..........

If the vast majority say the earth is round and then a few say it's flat I wonder which take on it I'm going to give the most weight.

Nobody is saying your expectations were not meant, maybe yours are higher than most of ours or maybe it was just one bad apple in a bag of good apples. I hope you can see out point, we aren't saying your wrong, just your the rare exception, the reason, who knows. Have a good day ........

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I would like to thank all who have replied...it sounds like PG is a more relaxed, not snooty cruise line. Lesley and I are just working people, and we are just looking for a more intimate feel, sounds like a ship for us:)

You have made a good choice for what your looking for ...........

We also have never had an issue with anything missing and as Emdee stated we leave out pretty much everything ..........

If the vast majority say the earth is round and then a few say it's flat I wonder which take on it I'm going to give the most weight.

Nobody is saying your expectations were not meant, maybe yours are higher than most of ours or maybe it was just one bad apple in the bag of good apples. I hope you can see out point, we aren't saying your wrong, just your the exception, the reason, who knows but never less you and one other are the rare exception. Time to move on .......

Are you accusing me of lying about my clothing being either taken from my cabin or lost by the laundry? As I have said before, if it were a book or sweater I might have mislaid on the ship someplace, it would be on me. But I can assure you I wasn't running around the ship in my bra or panties after taking my shirt, pants, and shorts off and leaving them someplace.

By the way, I am NOT the "exception." Another person on the same cruise that I was on had the same experience with "meh" food and service that was just not what it should have been. As I mentioned previously, overall I had better service on DISNEY than on the PG. That is a telling--and troubling--statement. We are not the only ones who haven't been thrilled with the PG lately. 6rugrats and a few others have also not been happy.

Perhaps the repeaters have either not been on in enough time that things have slipped and they haven't been on to see them, or they have beome so emotionally invested in teh ship that they overlook the ofte obvious.

... To be honest, the more I think about it, the more steamed I get about my missing clothing and their response, and I'm sure that is jading my feelings towards service on the ship--although even before the laundry went missing we were already noticing service issues and disorganization.

There were a couple of crew members (including an officer) who had bad attitudes. To be honest, if one officer in particular was still on the ship, I would not return. That's a sad thing to have to write.

I think you're right that the missing clothing kind of spoiled it for you--it would certainly spoil it for me! Did they at least offer you compensation for the items that the laundry lost? As for the crew members, I really hope you complained about this, either during the cruise or in the comment form.

So sorry that you had this experience, and that the ship may be "spoiled" for you, because of it. I totally understand.

Every time we go on the PG we brace ourselves waiting to see whether the experience can ever live up to our first cruise on her in 2000. It has only come close once in 2008--in 2005 PG was going thru a very rocky period in its relationship with Radisson and there were some awful gaffs and the food was just okay. I suspect because I'm on the repeater's cruise that they'll go all out to make us happy, but, what the heck, I'll take it!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Okay - I'm going to beat the coffee horse a bit... if I could change one thing it would be the availability of espresso in the morning before breakfast. When we were guests last year we asked someone around the pool to see if we could get our espresso fairly early in the morning to enjoy before breakfast. No. Okay, my husband then asked someone else (in La Palette setting up breakfast?) if he could get us some espresso. No. Okay - we called room service and asked if we could get it sent to La Palette - no, room only. So, we called room service most mornings to get our espresso sent to our room. The pool bar also has an espresso machine but doesn't open until much later in the morning.

Having said all that - it did not affect our vacation but we did appreciate the balcony a bit more to enjoy our morning coffee. So, that's my pet peeve and I hope not to have such a trivial issue to think about but please, PG, don't take away early morning room service espresso!

BTW, their room service delivery times were outstanding!

Okay - I'm going to beat the coffee horse a bit... if I could change one thing it would be the availability of espresso in the morning before breakfast. When we were guests last year we asked someone around the pool to see if we could get our espresso fairly early in the morning to enjoy before breakfast. No. Okay, my husband then asked someone else (in La Palette setting up breakfast?) if he could get us some espresso. No. Okay - we called room service and asked if we could get it sent to La Palette - no, room only. So, we called room service most mornings to get our espresso sent to our room. The pool bar also has an espresso machine but doesn't open until much later in the morning.

Having said all that - it did not affect our vacation but we did appreciate the balcony a bit more to enjoy our morning coffee. So, that's my pet peeve and I hope not to have such a trivial issue to think about but please, PG, don't take away early morning room service espresso!

BTW, their room service delivery times were outstanding!

I, too, would love to be able to get an early am espresso at La Palette. It is so pleasant (and quiet) in the very early hours.

Are you accusing me of lying about my clothing being either taken from my cabin or lost by the laundry? As I have said before, if it were a book or sweater I might have mislaid on the ship someplace, it would be on me. But I can assure you I wasn't running around the ship in my bra or panties after taking my shirt, pants, and shorts off and leaving them someplace.

By the way, I am NOT the "exception." Another person on the same cruise that I was on had the same experience with "meh" food and service that was just not what it should have been. As I mentioned previously, overall I had better service on DISNEY than on the PG. That is a telling--and troubling--statement. We are not the only ones who haven't been thrilled with the PG lately. 6rugrats and a few others have also not been happy.

Perhaps the repeaters have either not been on in enough time that things have slipped and they haven't been on to see them, or they have beome so emotionally invested in teh ship that they overlook the ofte obvious.

Gee wiz, aren't we touchy .........

Never said what your accusing me of, in fact I said very much the opposite, just that you were one of the few exceptions in regards to having something missing. Did it happen? You said it did, so it must of, but again, you are one of the exceptions in this topic. Fact is the BH and I usually don't feel safe when on vacation as far as things being safe in our room, the PG is one exception at least for us ......... always had great room attendants ......

Peace, I have nothing further to say on this thread.

I think you're right that the missing clothing kind of spoiled it for you--it would certainly spoil it for me! Did they at least offer you compensation for the items that the laundry lost? As for the crew members, I really hope you complained about this, either during the cruise or in the comment form.

So sorry that you had this experience, and that the ship may be "spoiled" for you, because of it. I totally understand.

Every time we go on the PG we brace ourselves waiting to see whether the experience can ever live up to our first cruise on her in 2000. It has only come close once in 2008--in 2005 PG was going thru a very rocky period in its relationship with Radisson and there were some awful gaffs and the food was just okay. I suspect because I'm on the repeater's cruise that they'll go all out to make us happy, but, what the heck, I'll take it!

They wouldn't even discuss it and prety much all but claimed I was lying--even after I showed them the photo of me wearing the pants at the Captains Reception and going item by item through my entire cabin with the Housekeeping Manager to prove the items weren't there. They were even quite reluctant to give me a claim form, telling me it would be a long wait and hoping I would just go away.

Hi folks, let's close this thread.........I have my answer...........many heartfelt thanks....Dan

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dan,

This is no longer about you! These threads have a cathartic effect so let the games continue. If Liz has only now confessed about her coffee issues more confessions should follow.

Miriam

Edited by Emdee

I think I disagree, Emdee. I have seen the Regent board descend into constant bickering and don't want that to happen here. Dan has received several different perspectives on the ship, and can now go off and think about it. But there are already other threads here talking about the recent, less-than-perfect experiences on the ship. We don't need another thread to talk about that.

Threads often take on a life of their own, and the discussion doesn't stop when at a poster's request.

Thank you......

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you accusing me of lying about my clothing being either taken from my cabin or lost by the laundry?

I forgot to ask; you had travel insurance for this trip, didn't you? Can you file a claim with them for the missing clothing. I know the price of those pants. If they were new and you had the receipt, you might get almost the entire price reimbursed.

On our sailing, the person who brought the laundry back, who also ignored the "do not disturb sign" on the door several times, and did come by once looking for another passenger's missing shirts, so I wonder how common this is?

Edited by 6rugrats

Correct Emdee I have also been on Princess twice and Royal Caribbean in addition to my 4 PG cruises. I just want to say that on my most recent PG experience this past September, the food and service were the best I have experienced. That's it for me. Happy Mothers Day to all

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I forgot to ask; you had travel insurance for this trip, didn't you? Can you file a claim with them for the missing clothing. I know the price of those pants. If they were new and you had the receipt, you might get almost the entire price reimbursed.

On our sailing, the person who brought the laundry back, who also ignored the "do not disturb sign" on the door several times, and did come by once looking for another passenger's missing shirts, so I wonder how common this is?

Of course I had travel insurance. They will pay a fraction of what it will cost to replace them. They were a couple years old, although only worn a half dozen times, so I'll be lucky to get $25 on a $158 pair of pants. The shorts were brand new, still have the receipt, so I'll get probably half what I paid for them. The shirt is about six months old, so again I will get pennies in the dollar.

It's not even that they went missing, but rather the way it was handled. They pretty much acted like they thought I was lying. Seriously, the housekeeping supervisor showed up and went item by item through the entire cabin with me.

Not to be nitpicky, but didn't Windstar put another ship into FP for a while after losing the Windsong, or whichever ship it was to fire? Then they withdrew from the area? Probably after 9/11? I can't remember for sure.

Oh, and the PG was never owned by Radisson. It was managed by them, and then subsequently by Regent when the name was changed.

Not to be nitpicky, but didn't Windstar put another ship into FP for a while after losing the Windsong, or whichever ship it was to fire? Then they withdrew from the area? Probably after 9/11?

The Windsong was sunk in 2003 and Windstar was not back in FP until this month.

The Windsong was sunk in 2003 and Windstar was not back in FP until this month.

Hi Wendy and 6rugrats, this is Emdee's DD.

Wendy you are right and 6rugrats you are wrong.

After the Windsong fire in 2002 the cruiseline with the permission of the Tahitian government sank the ship in deep water between Tahiti and Moorea in 2003. Windstar cruises still had a ship in 2004. In fact we remember seeing that ship during our second cruise February 2004 in Moorea. They subsequently withdrew from the Tahitian market in 2005. If you read articles about investment in French Polynesia during that period there was much talk about expected decline in visitors. Likely, Windstar made a business decision to withdraw

Emdee's DD.

Hi Wendy and 6rugrats, this is Emdee's DD.

Wendy you are right and 6rugrats you are wrong.

After the Windsong fire in 2002 the cruiseline with the permission of the Tahitian government sank the ship in deep water between Tahiti and Moorea in 2003. Windstar cruises still had a ship in 2004. In fact we remember seeing that ship during our second cruise February 2004 in Moorea. They subsequently withdrew from the Tahitian market in 2005. If you read articles about investment in French Polynesia during that period there was much talk about expected decline in visitors. Likely, Windstar made a business decision to withdraw

Emdee's DD.

Thanks Emdee's DD. I thought I remembered that they had two ships in FP for a while, so I'm glad I wasn't crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually someone I know was on the same cruise as some of the posters who incidentally I also know ( Feb 5th) and gave a good report of the cruise.

In no way do I belittle your own experience - its was what you had afterall and I would like to see service improved but I beg to differ with your words 'every recent cruiser'

My new rules for PG (or any) cruise reviews:

1. Ignore any comments, especially negative, about food, especially on PG. Individual tastes dictate that one person's foie gras is another's yuck reaction. IMHO, I would pay more attention to the credentials hoisted by Chef Paul (CIA trained and a stickler for fresh) along with the fact that recently the PG was chosen by a 2-star Michelin chef to recreate his menus.

2. When thinking about alternatives and researching PG, invest more in those who have had her experience multiple times, like Emdee, Wendy and tiki. While I enjoyed the wind star experience, the beam of a sailing vessel eliminates the possibility of private balconies, can be a bit more rocky for the same reason in open seas, and reduces the variety of Onboard experience enjoyed by PG cruisers.

3. Consider the experience of the ship in the waters she will be sailing. As mentioned by other PG addicts, PG was made for the FP archipelago. She offers a true Polynesian immersion with the Gaugunnes, the cultural lecturers, and established relationships with excursion vendors. Other pretenders to FP either left and hoped to return, like Windstar or simply use FP as a waypoint.

4. Understand the difference between "luxury" vessels, such as Regent, Silversea, etc. and the laid-back elegance of PG. No pretentious, just friendly, always there only when you need them service, and even the extraordinary ability to be calling you by name within a day or two. No formal nights in 90 degree weather. And the best, no envelopes or worries about how much the tab is increasing every day.

5. Ask yourself whether you trust all the above to the mega cruise companies or whether you would prefer to invest in a closely held private group that only focuses on small ships, FP, and doing it right almost every time through that consistent experience.

I must admit a bit of shock at complaints about PG, but as Emdee and Wendy noted, tastes are so personal that it's impossible to criticize someone else's opinion.

I love reading multiple reviews of the same sailing. One person loves it, the other hates it. One says best food ever, the other calls it garbage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You would almost think some posters have an agenda ........

"They wouldn't even discuss it and pretty much all but claimed I was lying--even after I showed them the photo of me wearing the pants at the Captains Reception and going item by item through my entire cabin with the Housekeeping Manager to prove the items weren't there. They were even quite reluctant to give me a claim form, telling me it would be a long wait and hoping I would just go away."

Hummmmmmmm ......... that is a hard one to swallow. Can't imagine anyone on the PG saying "telling me it would be a long wait and hoping I would just go away."

As I always say, you eliminate the top 10% and the bottom 10% of reviews, then look closely at the 80% in the middle. If you see someone who has been on multiple times then take special notice, you can pretty much take those reviews to the bank.

There are several posters on the PG forum that fit that bill, many who have cruised on the PG 6 or more times and have also cruise on competitor lines ........ much one can glean from those seasoned pros.

BTW, I don't include myself in the group, my forte is knowing the islands, 18 trips to FP but only 4 have been on a cruise but if you got a question on the islands, ask me .......