Pacific Princess Alaska May 13-20 Preview/Review

Jim Avery

Finally in range of cell service. Ship internet is pricey and about as good as most ships (sloooowww). Thanks for the great picture. It was truly a perfect sail away day. You can see us on our balcony. Bottom aft suite on the port side. I am wearing a red shirt. Cocktails on the veranda! The suite is fabulous and I will go into more detail later. Most dry dock work seems to have been in the mechanical spaces as well as exterior paint. The ship looks clean and fresh. A few minor wear issues here and there but all is well so far. Crew is very good so far and the food is much above what we had on Star last Fall. Back on the weight gain program. Heading into Juneau and a float plane tour with salmon roast. To be continued.::D

When we were on the PP in December the red couches near the shops were very worn as well as the curtains in the dining room. Have either been replaced?

Did not particularly notice those worn things but if you look enough, I am sure there are some "age spots" here & there. The seats in the Pacific Lounge definitely need replacing but it is still our favorite public space. Just docked in Juneau on a picture perfect beautiful day. We are the only ship in port. Heading out for a float plane tour landing at Taku Lodge for a salmon feast. Just what I need, more food.:eek::D

Float plane trip cancelled due to high winds. Must be at other end as it is gorgeous here in Juneau. Oh we'll, dinner was very good so all is well. Cocktails on the veranda. Another float plane trip planned from Ketchikan now.

Did not particularly notice those worn things but if you look enough, I am sure there are some "age spots" here & there. The seats in the Pacific Lounge definitely need replacing but it is still our favorite public space. Just docked in Juneau on a picture perfect beautiful day. We are the only ship in port. Heading out for a float plane tour landing at Taku Lodge for a salmon feast. Just what I need, more food.:eek::D

One of our favorite excursions. :D

Sorry they had to cancel. :(

Sorry your float plane excursion was cancelled. But glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yep, count on us enjoying ourselves. You will love this ship!

Thank you for posting this live report. Are there any drink packages offered?

Can't wait to hear more about your excursions.

Yes, several packages available. For us, we pre purchased booze for the suite and then pay as we go at the bars. Your mileage may vary. Having one on the balcony as we speak.

Yes, several packages available. For us, we pre purchased booze for the suite and then pay as we go at the bars. Your mileage may vary. Having one on the balcony as we speak.

Good to know. We like our beverages on the balcony as well!

As the Captain would say the web cam shows the pointy bit. :)

I like to think we would enjoy traveling on the same ship. Many a story has involved thems which know the pointy end from the flat end!:D

A beautiful sunny day in Skagway. We helicoptered to a dog sled camp on the glacier and had a very exciting sled ride. Hate to admit it but I fell off the sled. No harm, no foul. A couple of beers at the Red Onion Saloon & Brothel and I am like new. Had a whale off the stern for a half hour or so. Couldn't ask for better weather. We are the only ship in town again. One storekeeper told us by early June they could have as many as 20,000 visitors in a day. No thanks. I like being the only ship in town.

A beautiful sunny day in Skagway. We helicoptered to a dog sled camp on the glacier and had a very exciting sled ride. Hate to admit it but I fell off the sled. No harm, no foul. A couple of beers at the Red Onion Saloon & Brothel and I am like new. Had a whale off the stern for a half hour or so. Couldn't ask for better weather. We are the only ship in town again. One storekeeper told us by early June they could have as many as 20,000 visitors in a day. No thanks. I like being the only ship in town.

Thanks for the update. Did you book all of your excursions through Princess?

Probably can't keep my husband out of the Red Onion.

Thanks for the update. Did you book all of your excursions through Princess?

Probably can't keep my husband out of the Red Onion.

Well, did the Red Onion on our own but yes, booked excursions through Princess. Not much more than booking ourselves and the fact they are then responsible for getting us back in a very changeable climate is worth something.

Miss a day posting and you have to go to page three to find your thread. Yesterday was Glacier Bay. Beautifully sunny all day. They say only two ships a day and we shared the bay with Carnival Miracle. The only other cruise ship yet seen. We saw some small bits calve off the glacier and heard creaks, pops, and groans like a living thing. So far, it has been a stunning trip in just about perfect conditions. Cold to cool in the mornings and very pleasant by afternoon. One damper so far---not even to Ketchikan yet and we had our disembarkation forms delivered this morning. Not all bad though as we also had Eggs Benedict delivered to the suite. Misty Fijords float plane scheduled for today. Time to assume the position on the balcony for whale watch.:D

Enjoying your posts. We are sailing the Pacific Princess in August. There really isn't much activity on the boards about her. So, thank you.

We are currently on the Pacific Princess and as Jim has said the weather is picture perfect and the seas are smooth as glass.

Yes, they have the Elite lounge most days. I think there is a total of 20 Elites on board so pretty quiet.

I think the ship looks great for an old gal, sure there are some areas that could do with a spruce up but nothing that would prevent us from booking her again. I do miss the aft pool on the Grand Ships but not all that important for an Alaskan cruise. We too thought the food better on board Pacific compared to the Star and love never having to wait for an elevator.

All in all we'd book this girl again without hesitation!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Sandpiper13

We are currently on the Pacific Princess and as Jim has said the weather is picture perfect and the seas are smooth as glass.

Yes, they have the Elite lounge most days. I think there is a total of 20 Elites on board so pretty quiet.

I think the ship looks great for an old gal, sure there are some areas that could do with a spruce up but nothing that would prevent us from booking her again. I do miss the aft pool on the Grand Ships but not all that important for an Alaskan cruise. We too thought the food better on board Pacific compared to the Star and love never having to wait for an elevator.

All in all we'd book this girl again without hesitation!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for your response. Hope to hear more. Hey, I'm old and need some sprucing up also.