Where to stay in New York, New York

This is a question for the City of New York residents. I read an article on a place that sounds like it's near the NY midtown (west) piers, called "Hells Kitchen". Is that place as bad as it sounds?!?

Alan--

Not anymore - That's where all the good bars are!

;)

The area around the passenger terminals in NYC is crazy. Even if there were hotels across the street I would rather take a cab than be hit by one. :eek:

Gee, that makes one of us!! I never have any problem getting around in Manhattan. Convenience is a two-edged sword, no?

lkt:rolleyes:

You never know with February. It is usually pretty darn cold and could snow several times. But it can be mild, like around 40.

You are better off not staying near the piers. There isn't much over there. A cab from the Rhiga Royal won't be much (maybe $10).

Hell's Kitchen was not a great neighborhood years ago. Now, all of New York is expensive and this neighborhood, while still not great, has moved up.

Reverend Neal and others:

You might be interested to know of the new ownership of the Rihga Royal Suites.

May 4, 2005

NEW YORK--Affiliates of Blackstone Real Estate Advisors announced the acquisition of New York's Rihga Royal, a JW Marriott Hotel, and expect to assume complete management oversight of the property by early summer. Blackstone Real Estate Advisors has a history of significantly reinvesting in its assets and dramatically improving services and facilities and the same is anticipated for the Rihga Royal. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Manhattan's premier luxury all-suite hotel, the sleek 54-story Rihga is located in the heart of midtown's Theatre District and just steps from New York City?s business and shopping districts, Central Park, Carnegie Hall and Broadway Theatres. The hotel offers guests 505 spacious suites with such in-room amenities as personal training, massage services and exercise accessories.

The Blackstone Group, a private investment firm with offices in New York, Boston, Atlanta, London, Hamburg and Paris, was founded in 1985. Blackstone's Real Estate Group has raised five funds, representing over $6 billion in total equity, and has a long track record of investing in hotels and other commercial properties. In addition to Real Estate, The Blackstone Group's core businesses include Private Equity, Corporate Debt Investing, Marketable Alternative Asset Management, Mergers and Acquisitions Advisory and Restructuring and Reorganization Advisory. The Blackstone Group can be accessed on the Internet at http://www.Blackstone.com.

CHEERS

GENERAL MAX

Yes, I'm an AAA member. :) Thanks for the "heads up."

As for the new ownership ... I'd noticed. Perhaps this will mean that the quality will improve? I just hope the price doesn't go up too much. :)

Oh, well ... it's only money.

A tidbit for Alan.....

There are a few hotels in that area. From 'fleabag' to almost bearable. But it can get rowdy at night. (It's STILL the stomping ground of hookers and drug dealers ... don't let the "Disney-fication" fool you..)

The only nicer hotel in that vicinity would be the Crowne Plaza or Novotel in Times Sq (if you don't mind the activity in the area).

Then there's always the Rhiga ... book now before all the "Noordammers" hog up the rooms!

:)

Well, since I could'nt get one of our CC New Yorkers to answer my question about "Hell's Kitchen" which is the area around which the Cruise Ships dock, I found this on-line... very interesting:

Although the name Hell's Kitchen refers to a rough section on the South Side of London, the term in reference to New York first appeared in print on September 22, 1881 when a New York Times reporter went to the West 30s with a police guide to get details of a multiple murder there. He referred to a particularly infamous tenement at 39th Street and 10th Avenue as "Hell's Kitchen," and said that the entire section was "probably the lowest and filthiest in the city." According to this version, 39th Street between 9th and 10th Avenues became known as Hell's Kitchen and the name was later expanded to the surrounding streets. Another version ascribes the name's origins to a German restaurant in the area known as Heil's Kitchen, after its proprietors. But the most common version traces it to the story of Dutch Fred The Cop, a veteran policeman, who with his rookie partner, was watching a small riot on West 39th Street near 10th Avenue. The rookie is supposed to have said, "This place is hell itself," to which Fred replied, "Hell's a mild climate. This is Hell's Kitchen."

Hmm... sounds interesting, Vic! FleaBag Hotels and Barely liveable! Sounds like my OLD hangouts back in the day... LOL.:D

Seriously, I'm staying at the Comfort Inn Midtown for the night before the cruise... The Price Is Right!

Fleabag hotels? I hope we don't bring any roaches with us on the new Noordam!

Cheers

General Max

General Max..... Fleas? I kinda doubt it.... Most of the pets in that area of town probably make private appointments with their groomers :rolleyes: . As for the hotel itself, --- there is a "Pet-friendly policy, for dogs and cats of 15 lbs or less, with waiver" (quote from hotel website). Now for "roaches".... well, I can't vouch... :D

QUOTE=General Max]Vic, was this hotel recommended by you to Reverend Neal?

That's what I thought. Has Vic personnally checked it out? Or does he know some folks that have stayed there. Some of those negative comments that we saw on Trip Advisor are still bothering me.

Cheers

General Max

Archived