Where to stay in New York, New York

Is anyone else familiar with the Rihga Royal Hotel in New York. I have seen a number of uncomplimentary reviews on it.

Hey, General ... can you email me with a link to some of those reviews? I'd appreciate it. I've seen several good reviews, but only one not-so-good.

revneal@aol.com

Never mind ... I just found a bunch.

It seems as though there's a great inconsistency in the reviews ... some are really good, some are not. I think it may well correct that they've got some management problems ... that and quality control.

Oh, well ... I thought I'd found a good one. We'll see.

Reverend Neal, I'm willing to try it. After all, it is a JW Marriott property and the one here in Orlando is super nice.

Most of the complaints I saw indicated that furniture and carpets had seen better days. Trays left a day or two in hallways. Small lobby. Bad beds. Some even said, small rooms. Arrogant staff. I don't think 500 sq.ft. rooms are that small.

I saw some reviews that indicated renovations are going on.

I did a Google search on "Rihga Royal Hotel New York City Reviews".

Cheers

General Max

General,

That's how I found more reviews ... by googling with keywords like that. And, I've noticed many of the same kinds of reviews. They all seem to be very mixed ... some are good, some are not. Some have particular problems that I won't have (like a large family in need of the sofa bed) while others sound like they might just be the kind of patron who does nothing but complain. We all know the kind from our experience here. And ... then ... there are some who have legitimate complaints.

I'm going to stay there, too. If they're going through renovations and upgrades now, chances are good that they'll get through them by the time we arrive there in EIGHT months. Whew! That's a long time from now!

I'm arriving on Sunday night (gotta preach that morning), and plan on doing some sight-seeing on Monday (Ground Zero, Lady Liberty, that sort of thing). Monday night I have a meeting with a friend I've not seen in about 15 years. Tuesday I've got some more sights to see, then in the evening I've got a show to go see.

Vic is my "local arrangements" guy. :D

Hi Everyone..... With winter weather a question mark, I decided to book in town Monday and Tuesday before the cruise and enjoy some museums. I had booked at the Rihga Royal ($219/night) a few weeks ago, but there were a couple of "flags" that have shot up. It has had a great reputation in the past. However, the reviews coming in now don't seem as favorable, as General Max has pointed out (http://www.tripadvisor.com ).

Also, there was a caveat in the terms and conditions you accept while booking, saying "prices subject to change". It didn't say "up" or "down", so for NYC, I take that to mean "up", or at best definitely no guarantee of price. On top of that, the Rihga is no longer a Marriott hotel.

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2005_Jun_20/p.1ny.1119376788.html

What the new owners plan may improve service and amenities. However, with all this uncertainty.... just to cover my bets, I have also booked the Helmsley Park Lane Hotel (on Central Park South). It is a few blocks farther away, depending upon where you want to go, but in NYC, there are "short" blocks and "long" blocks (just check the maps). The price is the same ($219/night), and can be cancelled 24 hours prior without a penalty if booked directly at:

http://www.helmsleyhotels.com

Although it is not a suite, having stayed in 3 other Helmsley Hotels in NYC without ever having a problem, I think it is a great back-up. If the reviews don't shape up at the Rihga, then I plan to cancel and stay at The Park Lane.

I had booked at the Rihga Royal ($219/night) a few weeks ago, but there were a couple of "flags" that have shot up. It has had a great reputation in the past. However, the reviews coming in now don't seem as favorable, as General Max has pointed out (http://www.tripadvisor.com ).

Also, there was a caveat in the terms and conditions you accept while booking, saying "prices subject to change". It didn't say "up" or "down", so for NYC, I take that to mean "up", or at best definitely no guarantee of price. On top of that, the Rihga is no longer a Marriott hotel.

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2005_Jun_20/p.1ny.1119376788.html

What the new owners plan may improve service and amenities. However, with all this uncertainty.... just to cover my bets, I have also booked the Helmsley Park Lane Hotel (on Central Park South). It is a few blocks farther away, depending upon where you want to go, but in NYC, there are "short" blocks and "long" blocks (just check the maps). The price is the same ($219/night), and can be cancelled 24 hours prior without a penalty if booked directly at:

http://www.helmsleyhotels.com

Although it is not a suite, having stayed in 3 other Helmsley Hotels in NYC without ever having a problem, I think it is a great back-up. If the reviews don't shape up at the Rihga, then I plan to cancel and stay at The Park Lane.

For an extra $21, the Warwick is offering deluxe rooms around that time of year. A big step above a Helmsey property....

JMHO

:)

For an extra $21, the Warwick is offering deluxe rooms around that time of year. A big step above a Helmsey property....

Got a link, Vic?

I'm going to stick with the Rihga Royal, though I'm going to watch the reservation. I've written to the management to see if they anticipate any changes in the reservations ... we'll see what kind of response I get. :)

Brian took the words outta my mouth.

(Sometimes he's like Radar on M*A*S*H*)

:D

If you look closely, a 'superior room' is noted as having a window facing the interior of the building. An air-shaft, someone's flat, etc... :rolleyes:

The deluxe have a 6Av or 54St view.

I've stayed at the Warwick a few times, and it never disappointed me.

Brian took the words outta my mouth.

(Sometimes he's like Radar on M*A*S*H*)

:D

If you look closely, a 'superior room' is noted as having a window facing the interior of the building. An air-shaft, someone's flat, etc... :rolleyes:

The deluxe have a 6Av or 54St view.

I've stayed at the Warwick a few times, and it never disappointed me.

LOL - Thanks Vic!

(I think)

Hmmm ---

Superior Room: Faces airshaft.

Superior Verandah Suite: Faces Ocean

...anyone else confused? :rolleyes:

Even though we still have our condo at 375 Riverside Dr., when as childern our grandparents always liked staying at The Pierre. You will find the Pierre Hotel at Fifth Ave. & Central Park. Now most of the suites are also condo's and over look Central Park. You will find The Pierre quite the experience $$$$$. Just having lunch and a glass or two of champagne is a treat. Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

JMHO

Thanks for the info., Vic... Evidently Helmsley isn't running as smoothly as when the "Queen of Mean" (Leona) was on the job :rolleyes: . I will check out your suggestion.

Sorry you are not able to make the cruise.

Archived