Quantum of the Seas Dynamic Dining Disaster

We disembarked the Quantum yesterday after sailing on her for 19 nights.

Dynamic Dining is far, far, far from a disaster!!!

We enjoyed Dynamic Dining and found it flexable even though we had made our reservations last spring. We easily changed many of them often switching to other dining rooms as well as changing times.

On some nights we went to the dining room without reservations and were seated quickly and had excellent service. We love Traditional Main Dining and are used to eating at 5:30 or 6:00 on other ships ... on our nights without reservations getting a table was every bit as simple as walking into a Traditional Dining experience. If you are a Traditional Late Dining person you can do the same thing late in the evening.

Dynamic Dining offered us our choice of the food style we wanted in the decor we wanted on the nights we wanted it.

Speciality dining was a little more difficult to book because the rooms are smaller and filled up quickly.

Service: they are using a "wait staff" model that was similar to the one on the Allure when she joined the fleet. We didn't like it then and are still not a fan of it. With that in mind, know that we only experienced less than stellar service on two of the 19 nights. Service on these two nights was not "bad" it just wasn't up to what we have come to expect. In the dining room you have a waiter and no assistant waiter. Service on one of those two nights was less than excellent because the large table next to us demanded almost all of the waiters time. Hopefully this will eventually be changed by the adding of more waiters or either some "runner waiters" assigned to groups of waiters.

Food: The food in all venues was good to excellent with only two exceptions. Both times that I did not like my entree I was given the option to change to a different one. I've had that happen plenty of times in Traditional Dining rooms.

Do I want Dynamic Dining to extent throughout the fleet to the smaller ships. NO. It worked great on the big ship but I don't think it would be as enjoyable on the small ships. Do I think it is successful on the Quantum....absolutely.

I would rate our overall experience on the Quantum as a 12 on a 1-10 scale with Dynamic Dining being part of that experience.

Edited by beachnative

I have experience Dynamic Dining on the Quantum and it is very BAD. I don’t want to or will have to make Reservations for dinner on a ship. What I like about a Cruise is just being able to walk in to the Dining room and being served. If I wanted to spend time deciding where to have dinner I would have taken a Land Vacation. I want to sit at a large table and meet new people. That to me is the FUN of a Cruise. If RCCL does not make adjustments I’ll stop cruising on their ships!

I concur 110%. But, standby to get slammed by the others that think that is fantastic. Personally, I call them the Mickey D's crew. I generally sail in suites and expect the company that I am paying handsomely to do so, to in turn reciprocate and appreciate my business; Not to try and tell me I Have to do this and do that. And lastly, I like you, like and enjoy meeting people and dinning at an 8 top round table - Conversation is an Art, and it really seems as though it's becoming a lost form of Art. :eek: Dana

Dynamic Dining is far, far, far from a disaster!!!

I would rate our overall experience on the Quantum as a 12 on a 1-10 scale with Dynamic Dining being part of that experience.

See, we can't have these kinds of comments in a "DD is a disaster" thread.:rolleyes:

I have experience Dynamic Dining on the Quantum and it is very BAD. I don’t want to or will have to make Reservations for dinner on a ship. What I like about a Cruise is just being able to walk in to the Dining room and being served. If I wanted to spend time deciding where to have dinner I would have taken a Land Vacation. I want to sit at a large table and meet new people. That to me is the FUN of a Cruise. If RCCL does not make adjustments I’ll stop cruising on their ships!

I don't know where you got the idea that you are REQUIRED to make dining reservations. Just like My Time Dining, you can make reservations or you can walk up and wait for a table to be available for you. It is easier to just walk up and get in at the larger tables to share as opposed to a table for two. Totally up to you. We generally make reservations when we have time constraints for one reason or another.

I don't know where you got the idea that you are REQUIRED to make dining reservations. Just like My Time Dining, you can make reservations or you can walk up and wait for a table to be available for you. It is easier to just walk up and get in at the larger tables to share as opposed to a table for two. Totally up to you. We generally make reservations when we have time constraints for one reason or another.

Kind of like walking into a McDonalds or Golden Coral, V/S a real restaurant that requires reservations in or around one's home town. I think the real difference that I am reading here, between the authors' is that simply comes down to class, some have it some don't. If I were to sail in an interior cabin, I would not really care where I ate; but, if were to sail in a suite, I am going to eat at an appointed time that I select - continuously throughout the cruise at the same table and engage in conversations with those same people on a daily basis. :eek: What a concept! :)

In fact there would be even more chance if people didn't rush to make reservations, defeating the point of dynamic dining

Kind of like walking into a McDonalds or Golden Coral, V/S a real restaurant that requires reservations in or around one's home town. I think the real difference that I am reading here, between the authors' is that simply comes down to class, some have it some don't. If I were to sail in an interior cabin, I would not really care where I ate; but, if were to sail in a suite, I am going to eat at an appointed time that I select - continuously throughout the cruise at the same table and engage in conversations with those same people on a daily basis. :eek: What a concept! :)

Are you saying that those in an interior cabin are lacking class??? I certainly hope I have interpreted your comments incorrectly because some of the classiest people know have or do sail in inside cabins. This forum does not classify according to peopel's sailing preferences. And cabin types do not dictate a person's dining preferences at all.

Ever since my DH and I had two in a row less than stellar experiences with tablemates at a large traditional dining table we have opted for the MTD choice unless we are traveling with frends or family. At least that way if we have an obnoxious tablemate we aren't stuck with them the entire cruise, or are forced to escape to the Windjammer. And yes, the most obnoxious situation we were in involved a Diamond C&A member who was traveling in suite! No class there.

I am glad to see there are some positive experiences being reported on this thread about DD. As with anythng new I am not surprised that it takes a whle to work some bugs out of the system. I am looking forward to both the Dynamic Dining experience we will have on the Oasis in May and the more traditional experence on the Jewel in October. Different ships, different dining. Variety is the spice of life.:cool:

We disembarked the Quantum yesterday after sailing on her for 19 nights.

Service: they are using a "wait staff" model that was similar to the one on the Allure when she joined the fleet.

Sorry, I am new to RCI. What is a wait staff model?

Maybe you would enjoy Cunard or a River Cruise, something with people more of your heritage, grooming, and sensibilities?

Edited by twindaddy

I just got off Quantum yesterday after eight days.I have to say that I am completely disappointed with dynamic dining. After taking a tour of the galley and experiencing all the restaurants I firmly believe that this was designed strictly to save more money for RC and increase the profits in many different ways and along the way gutting the traditional cruising experience of meeting people in the art of conversation.I truly feel bad for the staff because they hate it...they feel like zombies and wake up to "G R O U N D H O G D A Y"

Their interaction with people is minimum and there is little to no relationship building with the cruise passengers....

RC Business model for dynamic dining is actually quite simple once you experience it from behind the The Curtain........

Build 4 complementary restaurants that seat approximately 430 people each

Stacked on deck 3 & 4 side by side of each other shearing one kitchen

Cook same menu every night ...365 days a year

Save boat Loads of money on large volume out sourcing

The combined kitchens create 28 entrées and 20 appetizers exactly the same way every day seven days a week...52 weeks a years

I think the menus are weak.....The food taste bland and I did not have one great meal to truly remember as fantastic.

RC did not beta test this concept thoroughly. Personally I feel that they (Richard & Adam)"Jumped the Shark"

Trying to beat Norwegian at their game and lost big-time...

Norwegian's business model is much different because they have the Huge Manhattan room

That offers traditional dining every night with a different menu...along with many more restaurants with DIFFERENCE TYPES OF MENUS......when was the last time you saw a lobster tail night in the windjammer.

As far as reservations if you do not make any reservations prior to getting on the ship ....because YOUR ON VACATION you're in a REAL BAD position if you want to catch shows and eat dinner in these restaurants Prior to 7PM....and if you're lucky enough to have an Royal IQ App on iPhone or your iPad you can simply make these reservations but do not make them in person because they will clash with your entertainment schedule.

The reason for this is; Qos uses a IBM-compatible base reservation system and can't update, sync to IOS 8 apple in real time app at all.....so if you make a reservation in person at chops because the line for Royal IQ iPads are all being used or the app shows no reservations available and you go in person to beg at Chops make sure you cross reference manually with pen and paper to correlate with your shows for conflicts.....unfortunately I learned the hard way

I feel bad for a typical family of five on Qos this week who did no planning whatsoever who just went on the quantum of the seas expecting a great vacation and finding out that in fact there is a lot of homework and a lot of hidden pot holes to fall into.....

One qwick fix would be to allow only 50% pre-reservations (215 people) .....20% more reservations once you board Qos and KEEP 30% open to who comes first...at 530pm and so on

I personally feel that dynamic dining will die a slow death and that traditional dining will come back in some Art form ......they will knock down the dopey wall in between the sets of restaurants on deck 3 and create a traditional dining hall with different menu every day and charge some type of new revenue price structure for that service....

Bookings will rule and dictate Direction. RCCL THINKS IT BUILD A BETTER MOUSE TRAP AND THAT THEY HAVE THE PULSE OF WHAT Multi Generation Family Cruisers want....we shall see

where it goes...... as of right now I'm headed towards Norwegian Escape

Please excuse the typos

Edited by mini me
Misspells

Are you saying that those in an interior cabin are lacking class??? I certainly hope I have interpreted your comments incorrectly because some of the classiest people know have or do sail in inside cabins. This forum does not classify according to peopel's sailing preferences. And cabin types do not dictate a person's dining preferences at all.

Ginny, You are correct you have completely misinterpreted/comprehended my statement. The first time that I ever cruised, I sailed in an interior cabin which back then cost me about $1,200.00 for a 5 day cruise for 2. Now, I sail in suites and pay anywhere from 5k - 14k for doing so. Consequently, if I am spending that kind of money for a vacation - I had better be afforded some perks and if not my business would go elsewhere

Ever since my DH and I had two in a row less than stellar experiences with tablemates at a large traditional dining table we have opted for the MTD choice unless we are traveling with frends or family. At least that way if we have an obnoxious tablemate we aren't stuck with them the entire cruise, or are forced to escape to the Windjammer. And yes, the most obnoxious situation we were in involved a Diamond C&A member who was traveling in suite! No class there.

I am D/P and never had a bad table experience. But, one may also have their seating assignment changed for the following seating or even have that individual removed. Attire does not add class, I have seen women that would make a burlap bag look stunning.

I am glad to see there are some positive experiences being reported on this thread about DD. As with anythng new I am not surprised that it takes a whle to work some bugs out of the system. I am looking forward to both the Dynamic Dining experience we will have on the Oasis in May and the more traditional experence on the Jewel in October. Different ships, different dining. Variety is the spice of life.:cool:

Not if they implement D/D fleet wide.

Edited by bohemnartsn

Maybe you would enjoy Cunard or a River Cruise, something with people more of your heritage, grooming, and sensibilities?

Actually for years, I have found RCCL to be fine until this D/D cost cutting measure was introduced. But, least we forget HAL and Celebrity.

I just got off Quantum yesterday after eight days.I have to say that I am completely disappointed with dynamic dining. After taking a tour of the galley and experiencing all the restaurants I firmly believe that this was designed strictly to save more money for RC and increase the profits in many different ways and along the way gutting the traditional cruising experience of meeting people in the art of conversation.I truly feel bad for the staff because they hate it...they feel like zombies and wake up to "G R O U N D H O G D A Y"

Their interaction with people is minimum and there is little to no relationship building with the cruise passengers....

RC Business model for dynamic dining is actually quite simple once you experience it from behind the The Curtain........

Build 4 complementary restaurants that seat approximately 430 people each

Stacked on deck 3 & 4 side by side of each other shearing one kitchen

Cook same menu every night ...365 days a year

Save boat Loads of money on large volume out sourcing

The combined kitchens create 28 entrées and 20 appetizers exactly the same way every day seven days a week...52 weeks a years

I think the menus are weak.....The food taste bland and I did not have one great meal to truly remember as fantastic.

RC did not beta test this concept thoroughly. Personally I feel that they (Richard & Adam)"Jumped the Shark"

Trying to beat Norwegian at their game and lost big-time...

Norwegian's business model is much different because they have the Huge Manhattan room

That offers traditional dining every night with a different menu...along with many more restaurants with DIFFERENCE TYPES OF MENUS......when was the last time you saw a lobster tail night in the windjammer.

As far as reservations if you do not make any reservations prior to getting on the ship ....because YOUR ON VACATION you're in a REAL BAD position if you want to catch shows and eat dinner in these restaurants Prior to 7PM....and if you're lucky enough to have an Royal IQ App on iPhone or your iPad you can simply make these reservations but do not make them in person because they will clash with your entertainment schedule.

The reason for this is; Qos uses a IBM-compatible base reservation system and can't update, sync to IOS 8 apple in real time app at all.....so if you make a reservation in person at chops because the line for Royal IQ iPads are all being used or the app shows no reservations available and you go in person to beg at Chops make sure you cross reference manually with pen and paper to correlate with your shows for conflicts.....unfortunately I learned the hard way

I feel bad for a typical family of five on Qos this week who did no planning whatsoever who just went on the quantum of the seas expecting a great vacation and finding out that in fact there is a lot of homework and a lot of hidden pot holes to fall into.....

One qwick fix would be to allow only 50% pre-reservations (215 people) .....20% more reservations once you board Qos and KEEP 30% open to who comes first...at 530pm and so on

I personally feel that dynamic dining will die a slow death and that traditional dining will come back in some Art form ......they will knock down the dopey wall in between the sets of restaurants on deck 3 and create a traditional dining hall with different menu every day and charge some type of new revenue price structure for that service....

Bookings will rule and dictate Direction. RCCL THINKS IT BUILD A BETTER MOUSE TRAP AND THAT THEY HAVE THE PULSE OF WHAT Multi Generation Family Cruisers want....we shall see

where it goes...... as of right now I'm headed towards Norwegian Escape

Please excuse the typos

Well stated, you went much more technical than I did in my voicing's, But consequently, I think we both came up with the same result. When this fails, by reduced bookings and other cruise companies flourishing. Adam will suddenly find a new avenue for cruisers to try for a newer dinning experience called "Traditional". I would love to be the fly on the wall and see what type of Dinning experience Adam would do/prefer to do on a cruise for seven days?

Sorry, I am new to RCI. What is a wait staff model?

Staffing p/p. I actually sailed on the Allure for that flop. We would not see our waiter for a minimum of 45 minutes at a time. There was no assistant waiter. The waiter was tied up in queue, just waiting his/her turn in line to pick up the orders and then when the food was finally served- it was cold, because the waiter still had the same amount of table area to serve without any assistance.

Not if they implement D/D fleet wide.

Rccl has already stated this isn't going fleet wide.

Staffing p/p. I actually sailed on the Allure for that flop. We would not see our waiter for a minimum of 45 minutes at a time. There was no assistant waiter. The waiter was tied up in queue, just waiting his/her turn in line to pick up the orders and then when the food was finally served- it was cold, because the waiter still had the same amount of table area to serve without any assistance.

I've sailed oasis and allure multiple times including my most recent 13 night TA and never have I ever experienced anything like this. I think your time is greatly exaggerated. In 45 mins I see the same servers and attendants including the cocktails servers multiple times. Including high traffic and high customer times.

When this fails, by reduced bookings and other cruise companies flourish, Adam will suddenly find a new avenue for cruisers to try for a newer dinning experience called "Traditional".

The thing is, it will be very difficult to discern if the reduced bookings are being caused by DD or by high prices (or a number of other reasons).

Biker, who agrees that bookings will be reduced in the future, but not because of DD.:cool:

Edited by Biker19

Certainly not a failure in our recent experience. We had made reservations for every night, wound up changing most of them. Granted we ate early most nights (somewhere between 5:30-7:00).

We will not go back to the MDR concept after enjoying the flexibility and variety of DD.

Cheers,

Jeff

I was on the Quantum in Nov. Usually take late seating at a large table in order to meet new people. I don't want to make Reservations I just want to go to the MDR. When I walked into the American Icon at 8PM they didn't know where or how to seat me. They were NOT filling large tables with walk ins. the nice part of a Cruise is you don't have to spend the morning deciding where to eat like you do on land. It's nice to have the verity selection of different menu's, but that causes a problem with people seating times and locations. They could have gone to rotational Dining like Disney. The whole table changes Dining rooms. I'll stop Cruising RCCL I guess.

Yea, no doubt that Dynamic dining is a complete flop and the sooner they faze it out, the better,

You posted this (almost exact wording) over and over and over again on your self-created thread that was eventually locked.

Your experience was on an EARLY cruise and much has been done to tweek DD and the ship.

Royal Caribbean is good at tweaking and Dynamic Dining will remain and be enjoyed by cruisers (other than you of course).

As it stands, Dynamic Dining is only on the Quantum and will probably be added to only two other ships.

gkbiii, fornatuely you have many other Royal Caribbean ships on which to sail.

Leave the magnificent Quantum with exciting Dynamic Dining to those of us who enjoy it.

I shall repeat my assessment of my Quantum experience: "I would give the Quantum (inclusive of Dynamic Dining) a 12 on a scale of 1-10."