!!! BREEZE !!! Western Caribbean ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

gambee

Hi Gambee :). I started reading this review last night, continued for a couple hours this morning, and finally have caught up now, at 8:30 pm. I have spent a lot of time reading, but it was well worth my time. Excellent details and fabulous photos! Thank you for your effort in getting this together.

I will someday sail on the Breeze myself. Not sure when - but will eventually. Now I will know what to expect.

Thanks again!

Brenda

I was booked on Getaway, but life has thrown some real duzzies at me and we had to cancel. We are still in planing stages and we have to figure out which ship to go on August. But in the end $$$ will be what decides on which ship we go, and I think I it is going be on Divina.

Please make it Getaway. August 23rd. It would save me taking pictures :)

They really want their food, they actually kind of climb up your body.

Day4-109_zps3b4d263e.jpg

Day4-107_zpsa0125d7a.jpg

You tell me how absolutely amazing is this?!?!?!

Day4-106_zpsdc31c655.jpg

They were everywhere!!!!

Day4-114_zps11c1eb3e.jpg

This is just such an amazing experience, as much as I am trying to put into words I think I am failing to do so. This is one experience that I never forget.

My daughter and I did that tour about 5 years ago and we both still talk about the thrill. She got to hold and kiss one. We swam with them and although they can have the potential of harming people they are beautiful creatures. You are right this is an experience of a lifetime.

Gambee, I guessed you went to Stingray City! Seems like you loved it as much as I did! I actually did a slightly different experience than you. I am scuba certified, so I went to a different area where the water was about 14 ft deep and we did our encounters with the stingrays underwater. I was surrounded by stingrays from the moment I jumped off the dive boat. They really are bit pushy. They want the food they know you have, and they want it NOW! :D

Sorry to hear you had a bit of trouble with water in your Olympus camera. I have the same one, and have taken it on a number of snorkel trips and shallow scuba dives. So far, the only problem I have had with mine is that one of the interchangeable lens rings fell off and got lost. Since that happened, I have kept a close eye on it because I do not want to lose the other one. Sure enough, it did work loose on our last trip. This time I noticed it in time so I was able to secure it before it fell off. I think that ring, which doesn't seem to me to serve any real purpose, is the only thing I don't like about my Olympus.

I can't wait to see what you did in Cozumel. You gave us a hint by talking about raising a sail, so I'm hoping that once again my guess will be right because that will mean you did another excursion I really enjoyed. :cool:

Gambee...your stingray pics are some of the most amazing I've ever seen...thanks so much for them! I have done a sting ray tour twice...the first time being the best..as we were in shallower water and I could navigate a bit better...second time water was deeper and I was afraid of stepping on one...could not see that well.....as a teenager I stepped on a small ray and was stung in Baja California...some murky bay water....made me quite sick for a few days and gave me a life long fear of not wanting to put my feet somewhere I cannot see:eek: But they are gorgeous creatures...and your pictures are just wonderful:):):)

Great pics Gambee.

If you go back to the Caymans again, go to Rum Point. You can do the same things with the Sting Rays for free, well minus the cat of course. My brother lives there and when we had a port there that's exactly where he took us and we had the same experience. Not as many as you saw, but it was still great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have read about rum point, but the problem is actually getting there. It is quite far and to get a taxi it can add up. I believe there a few shuttles that make runs there, but they are few in between. I will keep that in mind, I have seen some pictures from there and they are just gorgeous.

Thanks gambee. I found one with the illustration feature going for just $159 online which I'm getting for my cruise. Your fantastic pictures have definitely sold me onto this camera! It truly turns an ordinary picture into a work of art.

Eagerly awaiting more of your Breeze review. In all of them actually, you really make the reader feel like they're right there every step of the way. Love it!

Awesome, glad you found a camera with it, that was a selling point for me when I bought the RX. Don't tell anyone here, but I am actually in the mist of making some significant changes to my camera equipment :D.

Gambee,

We interacted breifly on Twitter when you had to postpone your original Breeze trip. I'm happy to see you finaly made it on board. The fact that I knew you were about to sail not long after I did is pretty much the sole reason why I have not written a review. While there are maybe a few details/personal experiences that I can add that you did not have, there is no way that anything I could poduce would compare to what you have done before and are doing now with the Breeze. I hope that one day I get to at lease by you a drink on board as a small way of saying thanks!

I'm glad to see that you have enjoyed Stingray Sailing! We had an issue with Moby Dicks and they guys from Stingray Sailing helped us out without batting an eye. We ended up with Cayman Eco-Adventures and it was an amazing time as well with great service!

Looking forward to the rest of your review! Thank you very much for your work and effort! :D

Thank you for the kind comment, I will that drink in ming when I see you in the future. Hmmmmm, this is the first time I hear of anyone having issues with Moby Dick. Glad I went with stingray sailing, they were fantastic.

Hi Gambee! Fabulous review! We did the jet ski tour to stingray city in 2010. It was vey fun. The ride out to stingray city was great. We stayed as long as we wanted, then our guide took us on across the bay to a beach club. It was a nice area. It was a great excursion!

Hi Gambee,

You are doing a great job with your review, as always!

The last time we were in Mexico, we went to XCaret (a nature park there) and my then 8-year old son and I went swimming with nurse sharks. He LOVED it. They leave you alone and it was a really fun experience (XCaret is really fun, too.). He is begging us to go back to swim out in the ocean with whale sharks now. I highly recommend you try it - I've never regretted trying something out of my comfort zone that I've been afraid or nervous to do (for me, it's heights).

We had a similar experience as you in the MDR on our Carnival cruises - the service just wasn't that great. It seemed to get better as the cruises went on and they learned our preferences. But still, not great. We didn't really like the layout of the ships compared to RCCL either. But you actually have me considering a cruise on the Breeze in the future. It seems like a nice ship...a good upgrade from the Dream. I'll be interested to see how you rate the Breeze versus the Breakaway. :)

Thanks for all the work you do!

xCaret you say, I actually looked at them for this cruise. The only reason I did not go there was because of the limited amount of time on port and then in the park. I decided to do something that I knew that I would get my monies worth. But that is definitely an option for next time.

Yeah the MDR was just blahhhhh, in the future I think I would avoid it all together.

I just LOVE all your stingray pictures!:D Your enthusiasm for this excursion comes through. I did this in January and I was definitely a little nervous. After, I couldn't believe how amazing it was. :) I couldn't feed them, but I did everything else and had a blast. I'm so glad you did, too. And, I'm glad to hear you liked the warm chocolate melting cake. :cool: Two scoops of ice cream is the way to have it.

Heather

Definitely a lot of fun, gotta take mom there next time. Melting cake all the way, that is actually the only dessert I got in the MDR :D

I really enjoyed your pictures of the Stingrays.....you never mentioned if the tour you were on served drinks and what type(s)? I was just wondering as some of the snorkeling tours we have been on have given you free drinks such as rum punch or beer. I can't drink beer, but I did my share of drinking the Rum Punch. It was strong. We had a really good time on the snorkeling tour.

Your revview is awesome! I can't wait until you get to the next series of shots. You have done a magnificent job. Makes me want to cruise right now! :D

Oh yeah I forgot, they water for free, and all the other things for a fee. I think beers are $5. Thank you for the reminder.

OMG Gambee, that is so funny! That stingray is actually pushing dude in the butt!:D:D I have been afraid of them ever since Steve Irwin died after being stung by a stingray. But this looks like a blast and the water is absolutely beautiful.

Yeah I could not believe I got that picture, I basically just put the camera underwater and started shooting.

I'll have you know that the pics in this darn review forced me to switch cruises!! I was on Freedom, now I'm on Breeze!! I blame you Gambee ((wags finger))!!!:D

:p you will be glad you did, although on the other hand I have never sailed the Freedom so I can't speak for her. But the Breeze is a big hit in my book.

Oh Gambee......those pictures and videos are just beautiful. I would be the one in the boat though. I love that gorgeous water. Nothing as pretty as that, but I don't do water (I like it better on top and not in the water). I would be freaking out if I had all those stingrays around my legs.:eek:

I can't believe that the ocean can be that pretty though. I grew up going to the beaches in New Jersey and you can't compare the two. I could cruise day in and day out in the Caribbean and never get tired of seeing such beautiful water. Can't wait to see more pics. I will be going to Grand Cayman for the first time in November. Can't wait for that either.

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Gwen :)

Oh you will have a blast there, I think the only thing I dislike about Grand Cayman is the tender process. But carnival had it nailed!

Hello Gambee,

I am really enjoying reading your reviews. We are going on the Breeze with the same itinerary on June 1st. I have a question about the tendering process in Grand Cayman. We are planning to just do our own thing and hit the beach. I was reading the Fun Times and it says to meet in the Ocean Plaza on deck 5 at 7:30 and then we won't be able to get off the ship until it is given general clearance around 10:00. Is that true? It sounds like you went to the Ocean Plaza and got right off the boat. I may be reading the Fun Times wrong but it sounds like we have to wait for 2.5 hours. We have two kids so we are just trying to plan what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

EXCELLENT question. That was the same question that sent me to guest services :D. What that means is that every group before 10am will have to meet in ocean plaza, after 10am you can just walk to the gangway. Its very confusing the way they state in the fun times. But basically I was off the ship at 8:03am, don't worry about it my friend. The Breeze has this process down perfectly. To be honest with you I arrived at ocean plaza at around 7:50am and I was in the first group to get off the ship.

tammi, the one I found going for $159 with the illustration mode is the Sony WX-300. I don't know if I'm allowed to mention other websites here, so i'll just say that it's named after a very famous rainforest.

Be aware they are used but listed as "like new or in very good condition".

"very famous rainforest. ;)" :D:D:D:D Now that made me laugh

And I posted this on PhoenixDawgCruising's thread:

Newsflash!!!!!!!!!!

Carnival Breeze experiences an unusual influx of bookings due to a user review!!!!

Cruise Critic member Gambee has once again posted an excellent, awesome, enjoyable review of the Carnival Breeze. This review seems to be sending other Cruise Critic members into a rush to book on the Breeze even if it means cancelling an already booked cruise. Gambee's review is also likely to entice others that are not booked yet to take the dive and book the Breeze.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled threads.

:D:D:D:D

I thought you might get a laugh out of this!

Great post! Loved it!!! I was at work when I read it and got some good laughs out of it.

Which thread was that by the way?

I agree Gambee. The Stingray City Tour was the highlight of my cruise. Loved it!!! When I was there we did SCT, Turtle Farm and Hell all in one trip. Ill never forget it. Amazing!! My favorite excursion. Nothing has compared to it yet. Although I would like to swim with the Turtles. Dont think I could ever get it in the water with Sharks of any kind. Oh I would love to see a Manta Ray!

I am planning of swimming with turtles in St. Thomas when I make it there. I have also seen and touched mantas in the wild, it was actually here in Ft. Lauderdale. I almost died when I saw it, I said "this is it :D". When I realized I was not going to die, then I attempted to touch her. She just glided under my hand, it must of been one of the emotional moments that I have had while snorkeling. Initially I thought she was a shark.

Truely enjoying your writing style... taggin along.

Thank you.

Loving the reviews. We're actually going to be on Legend but have some of the same port stops. Never been to Western Caribbean so I've had a hard time deciding on excursions. Definitely want to go to Stingray City but have never gone outside of cruise line to book. Seriously thinking about it now after seeing those crowded boats. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Gambee, that's my boyfriend being pushed from behind by the stingray and my butt in the previous pic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was not aware there was anyone from CC on that excursion. I asked on the group once, but no one answered. That picture came out great, hope ur bf likes it.

Hi Gambee :). I started reading this review last night, continued for a couple hours this morning, and finally have caught up now, at 8:30 pm. I have spent a lot of time reading, but it was well worth my time. Excellent details and fabulous photos! Thank you for your effort in getting this together.

I will someday sail on the Breeze myself. Not sure when - but will eventually. Now I will know what to expect.

Thanks again!

Brenda

Thank you Brenda, glad you like it. I will say that the pictures are not my best work, I have to rethink the way I do reviews. Once again thank you :)