A different dress code question...

amias

Amias, after reading all of these posts, my answer to you would be as follows.

Cunard says mess dress is acceptable. Many other passengers enjoy seeing it. HOWEVER, the final arbiter is the military branch itself. Some forces do NOT allow you to wear it after you retire from them, as clearly evidenced by Salacia's attachment.

You need to check the rules and regulations of your husband's military force. If they say he can wear mess dress to a public function when retired, then go ahead and encourage him to wear it with pride.

The question the OP had asked was "Is the wearing of mess dress acceptable to CUNARD?" and the answer is "Yes". Her husband is quite aware of the rules of wearing mess dress.

Why we have now had three pages of assorted people on here trawling through RAF dress regs and implying that they seem to know more about mess dress than the mess dress wearers themselves is beyond me. Still, as I said before, it's given my husband a good laugh.

I certainly wasn't implying anything about your husband - I didn't even know he was in the RAF. :)

He wasn't in the RAF and you still haven't highlighted the part in the RAF dress regs that mentions mess dress.

Here is where the great divide of the pond becomes apparent.

In the states the ONLY excuse for wearing plaid pants is because you will be golfing. Or featured in a Steve Martin film ; -)

And I say that as a American Celtic immigrant with a fine appreciation of the kilt, the plaid and the clan.

Still passing on the haggis fer breakfast though....

; -D

Since you have brought up the great divide, we in the UK wear "pants" as undergarments. :D

Since you have brought up the great divide, we in the UK wear "pants" as undergarments. :D

I thought they were 'drawers', per Flanders and Swann? ("Pee, po, belly, bum, drawers!") (http://www.cliff-colman.net/Flanders&Swann.htm)

Except, of course, those wearing kilts.

Ideally, the only things worn under a kilt are shoes and socks. (alternatively - nothing's worn; it's all in perfect working order) :D

Edited by Jackytar

Fantasy 51 is correct, different countries have different rules. Queens Regulations apply to BRITISH military, i.e those military men covered by the terms Royal Air Force, British Army, and Royal Navy.

I do not know about regulations covering this subject by USA, Australia, France, or any other country.

I do know that Jim never wore either of his RAF Dress Uniforms to civilian functions, he never wore his medals outside the military (certainly he would never wear them on a cruise with civilian formal dress). He never used his rank as a form of address or introduction outside the military either.

I do find it amusing that some posters become so vitriolic with anyone who expresses a view point that differs from their own.

There are many "social clubs" that have uniforms, in Florida there are Conquistadors, Shriners, Knights of Columbus, to mention but three, should members of these clubs wear their uniforms?

I believe a medal for belonging to Knights of Columbus was mentioned as being worn, gracious me, what next ? A medal for not passing gas after eating garlic?

Except, of course, those wearing kilts.

Yikes, no wonder why the Scots are fierce warriors...all that wool rubbing against one's privates...not to mention the draft. :eek:

Edited by Salacia

Yikes, no wonder why the Scots are fierce warriors...all that wool rubbing against one's privates...not to mention the draft. :eek:

It's no respecter of rank - it rubs on the Corporals, the Sergeants, the Colour Sergeants and all the rest as well. And we haven't had the draft in Scotland since 1960!

:D:D:D

J

It's no respecter of rank - it rubs on the Corporals, the Sergeants, the Colour Sergeants and all the rest as well. And we haven't had the draft in Scotland since 1960!

:D:D:D

J

[laughing] Ah there's the rub! It's the wool that makes 'em all itching for a fight, is it? No draft in Scotland in 54 years? So is it bottles and cans only then?

:D

... And we haven't had the draft in Scotland since 1960!
What nonsense, I was in Scotland a couple of years back, wearing my kilt one day there was one hell of a draft around the Cairngorms. Edited by pepperrn

. . . I have recently decided against a TCM themed cruise because it was being held on Disney Magic.

I wish I had known about this cruise; I have been wanting to try Disney Cruise Line but without all the kids--this sounds like a perfect opportunity to go on a adult-oriented cruise on Disney. Unfortunately, I've already booked a Celebrity cruise at that time (and next year I'll be on Cunard!).

Always did like the shine on patent leather shoes. Great for getting reflections.LOL

Always did like the shine on patent leather shoes. Great for getting reflections.LOL

You're a very bad boy, Keith. Actually, I don't think it's so much reflections that you can see - more like the impression made by the wearer's toes on the shoe surface. Not that I ever looked, of course ;):D

I have asked Salacia twice to to reproduce the regulation from the RAF dress regs that refer to the wearing of mess dress. As they have not done so, I shall make a comment:

There is nothing in that document that instructs in the wearing of mess dress, it is only mentioned in passing. Therefore I cannot understand how other posters have said they have read a non existing order. Perhaps Salacia and co are confusing mess dress with ordinary uniform.

I too am entitled to wear mess dress but I prefer to dress up in a ballgown and jewellery when on onboard with just my medals.

I have asked Salacia twice to to reproduce the regulation from the RAF dress regs that refer to the wearing of mess dress. As they have not done so, I shall make a comment:

There is nothing in that document that instructs in the wearing of mess dress, it is only mentioned in passing. Therefore I cannot understand how other posters have said they have read a non existing order. Perhaps Salacia and co are confusing mess dress with ordinary uniform.

I too am entitled to wear mess dress but I prefer to dress up in a ballgown and jewellery when on onboard with just my medals.

I agree! :)

Regarding the dress code for the Royal Air Force as referred to by Jimsgirl, I will repeat: the code can be found here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/0F179C00_5056_A318_A8D8F975CD47447B.pdf

Hi Olliesmum. Is this the code you were asking about? It's the one that Salacia published about 2 pages back. I'm not sure if this answers your questions. I'm not military.

Afterword: On page 8 it has a heading about wearing of uniform by retired Air Force officers. However, it only refers to No. 1 Service Dress.

Edited by fantasy51

Hi Olliesmum. Is this the code you were asking about? It's the one that Salacia published about 2 pages back. I'm not sure if this answers your questions. I'm not military.

Afterword: On page 8 it has a heading about wearing of uniform by retired Air Force officers. However, it only refers to No. 1 Service Dress.

Thank you for this link. A Uniform is a Uniform is Uniform. Those who have not served would find it hard to believe the "conduct" that is covered by QR's. and personal Assessments (in the case of RAF officers ,Form 1369 and I processed quite a few of these , believe me an officers wife's behavior, dress etc were commented on).

As far as this "out of touch, out of date with modern thinking " senior is concerned, a cruise ship (Cunard or of any line) is a civilian arena and only the crew should were uniforms. As for medals, they belong with the uniform.

May 26th is Memorial day here in USA. Locally there will be parades to honour the military deceased. Many (even locals here in Port Charlotte) do not know that only 30 mins drive away in Arcadia, there are 23 R.A.F. graves , on Memorial day the flag pole by these graves will fly the R.A.F. Ensign not the Stars and Stripes. R.I.P.

As far as this "out of touch, out of date with modern thinking " senior is concerned, a cruise ship (Cunard or of any line) is a civilian arena and only the crew should were uniforms. As for medals, they belong with the uniform.

No they do not. They have been awarded to the recipient by His Majesty The King or Her Majesty The Queen.They are to be wore as ordered or requested whether in uniform or not, or long after a person has retired. In fact not to wear your medals at a royal function is extremely discourteous. Don't forget in the UK civilians are awarded medals as well, such as The Order of The British Empire and gallantry medals.

Jimsgirl, you state you served in the WAAF, this means you would have been awarded at least The Defence Medal.

As I said before, the link Salacia supplied has nothing about the wearing of mess dress in it.

No 1 service dress is the uniform you see worn at formal parades, weddings, funerals etc. The light blue suit.

Edited by Olliesmum

He wasn't in the RAF and you still haven't highlighted the part in the RAF dress regs that mentions mess dress.

Schedule 2 sets out mess dress (along with other forms of dress). Read in conjunction with 0110b of schedule 1 it makes it very clear that RAF mess dress is defined as uniform and subject to the same restrictions on wearing (and prohibition in the case of non commissioned personnel) after retirement.

Schedule 2 sets out mess dress (along with other forms of dress). Read in conjunction with 0110b of schedule 1 it makes it very clear that RAF mess dress is defined as uniform and subject to the same restrictions on wearing (and prohibition in the case of non commissioned personnel) after retirement.

Where is that in the document Salacia copied?