Best time to cruise to and from Rome.

Wyotraveler

Hey all

I am looking at taking advantage of the BOGO offer on RCL, as well as some perks offered through my travel agent, CruCon, durning a Memorial Day sale. I am undecided on a cruise itinerary, but am leaning towards the Allure of the Seas to and from Rome for the fall of next year. Just wondering if this is a good time to travel there (crowds, weather, and so on). Only other thing that concerns me is the airfare, so am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting a great airfare. Of course I know I can book "ChoiceAir" through RCL, but wondering if there are any other options that might produce a discounted airfare.

We enjoy sailing the Mediterranean in April into early May or mid September into mid October.

We find that it is far less crowded than the summer months and far less hot and humid.

We were just there in mid to late April into early May a few weeks ago.

Keith

April, may good weather shoulder peak . June and July hotter and everywhere crawling with hordes of tourists . August - stinking hot in Mediteranean and half Rome close down in August . September & October great weather and shoulder peak .

We ALWAYS travel to Europe in off season. Less lines, less crowds, gorgeous weather and the prices are MUCH better……

We have done 1 very early May cruise, 1 early October, 1 mid October and 1 very late November one…… they were all nice. Our next is for late April 2015.

Summer is just way too hot for sightseeing and way too many people ! Takes some of the fun away for me.

In my experience, airfare to Europe is expensive no matter when you go. We did a med cruise in October 2012 and the weather was fantastic. No crowds in any of our ports.

The price for our sailing was considerably lower compared to other times of the year so it made the cost of high airfare a little easier to swallow.

We have been to Rome several times-usually in the Sept/Oct timeframe.

The absolute worst was in August with my son. Too hot, too crowded, but that is when we were able to go together. I would never recommend this time frame to anyone.

The absolute best was in mid November two years ago. Four glorious days, slightly cool in the AM but short sleeves in the afternoon. Fewer tourists, no lines...wonderful.

We have been to Rome several times-usually in the Sept/Oct timeframe.

The absolute worst was in August with my son. Too hot, too crowded, but that is when we were able to go together. I would never recommend this time frame to anyone.

The absolute best was in mid November two years ago. Four glorious days, slightly cool in the AM but short sleeves in the afternoon. Fewer tourists, no lines...wonderful.

Rome seems to be crowded virtually year-round now, unfortunately. I used to go off-season (Nov-Feb) and would find very few tourists. This past February, I was surprised how many people seemed to be in Rome...

I agree mid-November is a lovely time; some of my best photos are from November (incredibly deep blue skies and golden sunshine). By the end of November it's becoming more likely that you'll experience some gray skies and rain.

Edited by cruisemom42